The Student Room Group

iPlayer only? You will still need a license from 1 Sept.

Bad news for all the student (and many other) households who use iPlayer only - this will also require a TV license from 1 September. :sad:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/aug/01/bbc-iplayer-tv-licence-iplayer-loophole

This was part of the deal made between the BBC and the government. It was a sort of small carrot thrown to the Beeb to make them accept several very large canings with big sticks. :rolleyes:

So Netflix and Amazon only for many folks going forwards? It's either that or cough up the £145 a year. :eek:

Scroll to see replies

Hello Putlocker my old friend...
Original post by Willy Pete
Hello Putlocker my old friend...

I've come to stream from you again...
Can't people just continue to watch I player without a licence or will it actually check if you have a licence rather than just letting you confirm you have one?
Reply 4
But how is it going to be enforced? Will you have to put your licence details into the website?
Off to illegal services we go, then.
Hmm, that's quite annoying. I only rarely watch iPlayer, mostly because I don't think there's that much worth watching on TV these days. I guess Netflix and Amazon will have to suffice. I split a Netflix account with my housemates and have half price on Amazon Prime as I'm a student, so I spend about £65/year to have subscriptions to both which is of course less than half what I would have to pay for a TV licence.
Original post by alow
But how is it going to be enforced? Will you have to put your licence details into the website?

Remains to be seen, but I can imagine they will do something like that and I can also imagine that people will circulate fixes / apps / license nos that work, etc.
Come on... who actually answers that honestly when they watch live... Also, if you're using a laptop, which is not plugged in and charging, you could technically be covered under your parent's home (providing you kinda do live there...). In any case, I'd love to see how they try and enforce this, as trying to regulate this via IP or MAC address wouldn't be viable, as IPs can be changed/use VPNs, and MAC addresses can be made to appear different...
Original post by Manitude
Hmm, that's quite annoying.... so I spend about £65/year to have subscriptions to both which is of course less than half what I would have to pay for a TV licence.

The flaw in the BBC's cunning plan. :lol:
Reply 10
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Remains to be seen, but I can imagine they will do something like that and I can also imagine that people will circulate fixes / apps / license nos that work, etc.

Yeah I really doubt there won't be a way around it. I'm definitely not spending that much money on a TV Licence though regardless, so much more expensive than Netflix (which I split with my sister) and Amazon Prime combined.
Original post by mobbsy91
Come on... who actually answers that honestly when they watch live... Also, if you're using a laptop, which is not plugged in and charging, you could technically be covered under your parent's home (providing you kinda do live there...). In any case, I'd love to see how they try and enforce this, as trying to regulate this via IP or MAC address wouldn't be viable, as IPs can be changed/use VPNs, and MAC addresses can be made to appear different...

Why would they even look at your MAC addresses any how?
Original post by The_Internet
Why would they even look at your MAC addresses any how?

:dontknow: Just really thinking of any ways that they may try and identify devices to specific places, so like, **** knows, ignor eme xD
Just tell the tv licensing person to get lost if you don't wanna go to court or pay. This shouldn't affect me anyway as the house next year wants a to license and there's loads of us so it will be cheap.......there is so many ways around this to watch what you want via BBC though
Endless Amazon Prime free trials :colone:
catchup
About time tbh. One assumes they are going to be smart enough to be able to track or limit access to actual licence holders.
Original post by neal95
Just tell the tv licensing person to get lost if you don't wanna go to court or pay. This shouldn't affect me anyway as the house next year wants a to license and there's loads of us so it will be cheap.......there is so many ways around this to watch what you want via BBC though

Wgich would almost certainly have them returning with a warrant. Smart thinking.
doesn't concern me

yay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 999tigger
Wgich would almost certainly have them returning with a warrant. Smart thinking.

😂😂 they wouldn't bother with that its more hassle for them than it's worth. In that time you could have removed your tv and actually they won't even bother with a search order. Stop being a good little deferent capitalist for a change

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending