The Student Room Group

Neurosurgeon vs Maths professor

Im torn between these two career options that i have in mind. Through your experiacne witch job is more rewarding, as in money (but i KNOW its defo not about the money!) and about how respected u are. Also which job is easy to get ?? Tuvm.

Scroll to see replies

Through our experience? Just how many people on this forum do you think have done one, let alone both jobs?
Reply 2
Just do both, I mean they're easy careers to get into anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by DJMayes
Through our experience? Just how many people on this forum do you think have done one, let alone both jobs?

Even funnier, this was posted in "advice on everday issues"
Most of the people on this forum are 18 year old students trying to pass the time until results day. I used to be an optimist, too, then AQA trolled me with Core 3 maths.
Original post by DJMayes

oh sorry :angelblush::angelblush::angelblush:
Original post by S27
Even funnier, this was posted in "advice on everday issues"

lol, im awful with the forums page, i just cba sometimes to go throung all the forums lol :biggrin:
Original post by alow
Just do both, I mean they're easy careers to get into anyway.

Easy?? Do you mind me asking what job you have? or if ur in uni, what ur studying to be?
Reply 8
Original post by Talkand...Talk
Easy?? Do you mind me asking what job you have? or if ur in uni, what ur studying to be?

I'm a nuclear engineer and fighter pilot. Two other easy jobs.

sarcasm
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"she didn't like the note of sarcasm in his voice"
Im torn between these two career options that i have in mind. Through your experiacne witch job is more rewarding, as in money (but i KNOW its defo not about the money!) and about how respected u are. Also which job is easy to get ?? Tuvm.

1st of all ^ lol

Second, these are two vastly different careers with vastly different training requirements. Do you LOVE maths to the point where you'd be happy doing an undergrad degree in it AND a PhD? Is research something you've always dreamed of doing?

Likewise with Neurosurgery. Do you love human anatomy? Do you love chemistry, biology, life sciences in general? Do you think you could put up with the long slog of 5-6 years med school + up to 10+ years of training before you become a consultant?

You're really going to have to put more thought into this decision

Posted from TSR Mobile
A neurosurgeon is good, but it's not exactly brain surgery is it?
Original post by SirDigbyChicken

Oh dear

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Friend of parents is a maths professor (or was, not sure if retired). Seems in very good financial situation.
Something tells me neither job is easy to get.
Original post by SirDigbyChicken

A fan of Mitchell and Webb, I see..
To be genuinely honest, the fact you're asking this question makes you a very unlikely candidate to be either.
I mean, to be a maths professor you have to be extremely passionate AND extremely good at maths, to the point you don't even want to consider any other job choice, same goes to neurosurgery.

Also, a little piece of advice, don't aim for an end-job. Just study what you enjoy and aim to be great at it. Having a specific end-job in mind is usually disastrous.
Original post by oShahpo
To be genuinely honest, the fact you're asking this question makes you a very unlikely candidate to be either.
I mean, to be a maths professor you have to be extremely passionate AND extremely good at maths, to the point you don't even want to consider any other job choice, same goes to neurosurgery.

Also, a little piece of advice, don't aim for an end-job. Just study what you enjoy and aim to be great at it. Having a specific end-job in mind is usually disastrous.

This ^

Posted from TSR Mobile
how respected you are should be the last thing you look at
Original post by oShahpo

nope
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KyleH123
The words of someone who probably studies Gender Studies and wonders why they can't get a job at the end of it.

No, physics actually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending