The Student Room Group

going back to uni at 24...

Hey!

I will be starting an access to nursing course in September and next year I would like to move away from home for university.

I was wondering if any current mature students can give me some advice on how they've found going back to university? And have you moved into halls or found your own accommodation?

I'll be 24 once i start uni but I still want to have a social university experience without feeling like a "mature" student.

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hiya where you moving to? Im moving from ni to wales and im 26
Original post by Vanessaw1992
Hey!

I will be starting an access to nursing course in September and next year I would like to move away from home for university.

I was wondering if any current mature students can give me some advice on how they've found going back to university? And have you moved into halls or found your own accommodation?

I'll be 24 once i start uni but I still want to have a social university experience without feeling like a "mature" student.

Thanks!

I'm not a mature student but I can tell you there are quite a lot of mature students at uni. When you start your first year you will meet people of all ages, some 18,19,20,22 or even older. So don't worry and hey best of luck.
I'm starting University in September at the age of 26, I will also be living in halls. I wouldn't worry about the age as it seems that quite a few people going to Uni these days are mature students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey wat uni you attending?

Original post by LizzieTwoShoes
I'm starting University in September at the age of 26, I will also be living in halls. I wouldn't worry about the age as it seems that quite a few people going to Uni these days are mature students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll be going to Sunderland University, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!

I'm not a mature student (only 21) but I saw your thread and it's a really interesting topic so I thought I'd give it a whirl and try to pad things out a bit.

On my year abroad in Berlin this year (although I appreciate that there are obvious differences in attitudes towards studying and between cultures) I noticed that the age range for studying varies massively. Literally, the sky is the limit in Germany (saw students that were 60+ and loving life!) whereas in the UK people seem more hesitant or that 'mature' students are somehow fundamentally different because they have a few years on other students, who tend to be generally much younger in the UK than elsewhere.

Honestly, having had the pleasure of meeting people in Germany who were much older or a bit younger or from various other places or backgrounds that were totally different from myself on a regular basis, I'd say that you'll have an amazing time that'll involve loads of hard work (as you'll probably know already anyway).

I know that this is general and that I can't give you the insight into being a mature student in the UK that you asked for, but I wanted to try and boost your confidence about it a little bit by adding that really, you'll have a fab time and will no doubt enjoy yourself, even though you have slightly different needs that people who are, say, applying straight from school. You'll get out from it what you put in and the sky really is the limit! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ghoulishdreams6
Hey!

I'm not a mature student (only 21) but I saw your thread and it's a really interesting topic so I thought I'd give it a whirl and try to pad things out a bit.

On my year abroad in Berlin this year (although I appreciate that there are obvious differences in attitudes towards studying and between cultures) I noticed that the age range for studying varies massively. Literally, the sky is the limit in Germany (saw students that were 60+ and loving life!) whereas in the UK people seem more hesitant or that 'mature' students are somehow fundamentally different because they have a few years on other students, who tend to be generally muc younger in the UK that elsewhere.

Honestly, having had the pleasure of meeting people in Germany who were much older or a bit younger or from various other places or backgrounds that were totally different from myself on a regular basis, I'd say that you'll have an amazing time that'll involve loads of hard work (as you'll probably know already anyway).

I know that this is general and that I can't give you the insight into being a mature student in the UK that you asked for, but I wanted to try and boost your confidence about it a little bit by adding that really, you'll have a fab time and will no doubt enjoy yourself, even though you have slightly different needs that people who are, say, applying straight from school. You'll get out from it what you put in and the sky really is the limit! :smile:

That's good to hear.

I was looking at doing a year abroad(possibly in Germany) but I'll be 29 by then and wasn't sure if age would be an issue.
Original post by JamesN88
That's good to hear.

I was looking at doing a year abroad(possibly in Germany) but I'll be 29 by then and wasn't sure if age would be an issue.

Honestly, I think that, if it's right for you at the time, you will have an amazing time. With ups and downs of course, but overall it'd be fab.

I can honestly say, in my completely subjective view, the only person stopping you would be yourself, because the age of those studying varies a lot at the Freie Universitaet in Berlin where I studied (and I imagine also in the rest of Germany too). :smile:
I went to university with a 25 year old 1st year on my first time round and will be 22 or 23 when I return so I don't think it'll cause any issues. You work until you are 70 years old 4/5 years at the beginning won't matter plus there is 5k for PhDs now so you can stay even longer!
Original post by Anfanny
I went to university with a 25 year old 1st year on my first time round and will be 22 or 23 when I return so I don't think it'll cause any issues. You work until you are 70 years old 4/5 years at the beginning won't matter plus there is 5k for PhDs now so you can stay even longer!

What do you mean by this? Who told you??
The government should have details on their student finance website. You will still have to pay the extra where it applies.

Just google, "PhD student loan uk 5" or similar keywords and the website should show, it was big news in September.

Original post by john2054
What do you mean by this? Who told you??
Original post by Anfanny
The government should have details on their student finance website. You will still have to pay the extra where it applies.

Just google, "PhD student loan uk 5" or similar keywords and the website should show, it was big news in September.

i found this:

Budget 2016: PhD loans of £25K on offer from 2018-19

But this won't be much good for me, who wants to start my doctorate next year. Unless i have a year out? or self funded even??
Original post by john2054
i found this:

Budget 2016: PhD loans of £25K on offer from 2018-19

But this won't be much good for me, who wants to start my doctorate next year. Unless i have a year out? or self funded even??

If you can wait do that or just pay the difference if you can afford it or do it over a longer period to reduce costs. Or work in the meantime?? Up to you! I don't think a university will look at you wrongly for doing it a few years later :smile:
Original post by Anfanny
If you can wait do that or just pay the difference if you can afford it or do it over a longer period to reduce costs. Or work in the meantime?? Up to you! I don't think a university will look at you wrongly for doing it a few years later :smile:

I am struggling to get a job to be honest with you. But it has always been my dream to be a doctor, and i have heard that you can put in applications up to a year in advance. But to be honest with you, i want to complete at least the first semester of my masters in education, before i even think about this application, thanks!

John.
Reply 15
Original post by Vanessaw1992
Hey!

Thanks!

We had a bloke who was in his 40s in my PBL group in Medicine.

He lived in Halls for S&Giggles but hated it. At 24, maybe you'll just about fit in. You'll be surprised how 'young' people in Halls really are!

Just be prepared to get in with a different crowd, you certainly won't be the only one in your Faculty doing this!
Hi guys. I'm starting Broadcast Media Production in September. I'm 25 and I am a bit worried about being the oldest! I will turn 26 in the January of next year as well. I am like an 18 year old still in my head but I don't know how comfortable I would feel if everyone else was 18-21!

Quick Reply

Latest