The Student Room Group

Have brits lost their sense of humor?

Scroll to see replies

Of course not.. I'm hiliarous! (My girlfriend would say otherwise)

I think the phrase 'this is the generation to be offended by everything' is true. Though that shouldn't stop us from having a laugh. In short - a lot have and a lot haven't :smile:
Reply 21
It's because someone manages to find every little thing offensive. Someone found it offensive that the bank was controlled by goblins in Harry Potter. Like wtf is wrong with you.

A poster describing sex was used in a sex-ed class and people went crazy on Twitter. Like what was it supposed to show, fluffy kittens?

A figure skater wore an empty gun holster during a James freaking Bond themed routine and people were saying how that gives the wrong idea to people...

When you get people like that, you can be afraid to joke about anything in case some idiot finds it offensive
I think there's a really big difference between sexism and pure banter tbh, you can't really make a joke about sexism without getting backlash. Having said that though, people do get offended very easily these days for some reason.
Original post by princedoggo
I think there's a really big difference between sexism and pure banter tbh, you can't really make a joke about sexism without getting backlash. Having said that though, people do get offended very easily these days for some reason.

I will try to find the guys name but it was funny, and comedy is not supposed to be taken seriously.
Yeah his name is dapper laughs and he had funny content, but as you said about people being offended
Everyone must be too full after eating all that Brexit
Maybe, but it's ok because I heard that it heightens your other senses
Original post by Blue_Mason
I will try to find the guys name but it was funny, and comedy is not supposed to be taken seriously.
Yeah his name is dapper laughs and he had funny content, but as you said about people being offended

I use to find him funny until he made a video about a girl playing hard to get. It ruined his career.
(edited 7 years ago)
British humour took a massive jab when Frankie Boyle was removed from Mock the Week due to being offensive.
That said, there are lots of extremely funny stuff going on, lots of funny stand ups.
Mate this may seem alien to you but apparently mods only exist on TSR.

I hear quality banter everyday when I go outside
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Your average person has not. But certainly there are many very vocal people who make an erupting Vesuvius out of a molehill, and the media panders to them. I think this is a trend in the West, not just the UK.

Some people seem...challenged, with regards to their comprehension of humour and context. Remember Tim Hunt for instance. Makes a self-deprecating joke which is actually somewhat anti-sexist, and is hounded out of his job for being a misogynist, apparently.
Hyper-sensitive cowards have lost their humour and scare people from making jokes about anything lest they want to offend someone. It's happened everywhere, not just Britain.

You can joke about anything so long as the audience is appropriate. As soon as someone says you can't make a joke about something what can you.
I think most of us probably have the same sense of humour as ever. We just keep our edgier joking around more private than before, due to the present environment.
Original post by JamesN88
Haha.

On a serious note this actually happened to someone I know.

What, like ALL their friends shagged their mum?
Original post by The_Internet
What, like ALL their friends shagged their mum?

No but one very good friend did.
*tuts after sipping tea* of course we sodding haven't
Original post by oShahpo
British humour took a massive jab when Frankie Boyle was removed from Mock the Week due to being offensive.
That said, there are lots of extremely funny stuff going on, lots of funny stand ups.

Tell me about it.

He's exiled to Netflix now so nobody can accidentally flick onto a channel while he's on and have their delicate little bubble affected.

Quick Reply

Latest