The Student Room Group

Should I work during A-levels?

I have finally got a part time job at a catering company catering at events such as wedding parties. However I am going to start my a levels in September (I'm doing sociology, business and accounting). My job is Saturday and Sunday (however I think there's days where you don get shifts). And shift are normally 4 or 5 hours.Do you think it will effect my results if I continue to work during a levels. I'm thinking about going only one day a week (instead of two) in September instead. Do you think do two days is a bad idea. Also near exam period I'm thinking of taking time off.Has anyone here managed to get good results while working part-time?p.s I also go to the gym 3 times a week even though i'm sure that won't take too much of my time away
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Do it and take time off close to exams

Make sure you still have time for studying throughout the year though
Reply 2
this honestly is my problem as well :c
Original post by ouatislifex
I have finally got a part time job at a catering company catering at events such as wedding parties. However I am going to start my a levels in September (I'm doing sociology, business and accounting). My job is Saturday and Sunday (however I think there's days where you don get shifts). And shift are normally 4 or 5 hours.Do you think it will effect my results if I continue to work during a levels. I'm thinking about going only one day a week (instead of two) in September instead. Do you think do two days is a bad idea. Also near exam period I'm thinking of taking time off.Has anyone here managed to get good results while working part-time?p.s I also go to the gym 3 times a week even though i'm sure that won't take too much of my time away

You can always reduce your hours/take time off or whatever round exam time if you want. Id carry on with it for now. You could always drop your hours if you find it too much.
I worked during a-levels and worked out fine.
Original post by Emma:-)
You can always reduce your hours/take time off or whatever round exam time if you want. Id carry on with it for now. You could always drop your hours if you find it too much.
I worked during a-levels and worked out fine.

That's what i'm thinking about doing, seeing if it fits around my timetable. I only have 16 hours of college anyway (5 lessons each subjects and one tutorial). How many hours did you work (if you don't mind me asking) and was it difficult to balance the time?
That's what i'm thinking about doing, seeing if it fits around my timetable. I only have 16 hours of college anyway (5 lessons each subjects and one tutorial). How many hours did you work (if you don't mind me asking) and was it difficult to balance the time?

I worked 16-20 hours a week usually (depending on what shifts i was put down to do). I didnt find it too bad- but everybodys different i guess. I just got into the habbit of doing homework/coursework quite early and that helped.
Honestly no problem whatsoever! I worked four hours a week (not much, I know) throughout all of Year 12 and around 20 a week from October to April in Year 13 and it wasn't a problem at all. Think of how many hours a week teenagers waste watching telly or on their laptops - it proves you have a lot of spare time when you're not studying. And if you're planning on going to uni then you really would regret not having a job during Sixth Form

I worked all the way through Alevels. I did 12 hours per week, spread over 8 hours on a sunday and 4 hours on a thursday evening. I also volunteered for 5 hours every wednesday and some saturdays. I studied Biology, Chemistry, geography and then AS maths and gained A*AAb, im now studying medicine at Uni.

I only ever took time off around my actual exams, not for the weeks leading up to it because I didnt have enough holidays. This was just to ensure that I didnt have an exam the day after a shift and allowed me to only focus on exams when the time came. It worked really well and as long as your book your holidays in advance companies are often very understanding.

my point is its 100% possible with hard work and will gain you great experience.

Quick Reply

Latest