The Student Room Group

Skills I have gained from other subjects that benefit me in History?

I'm writing my personal statement but I'm getting stuck about what skills I have gained from my other subjects that are useful as a historian.Other subjects I take:
Theatre studies (60%- LOTS of essays)
Psychology
Economics (Not continuing)

It's mainly the last two that I'm struggling to link to History.

Any help would be appreciated!
You don't need to talk about your A levels at all. Everyone doing them will have similar skills and knowledge and admissions officers know what that is. Think about other stuff you've done to develop your interest in history.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
You don't need to talk about your A levels at all. Everyone doing them will have similar skills and knowledge and admissions officers know what that is. Think about other stuff you've done to develop your interest in history.

Do you not think that maybe it helps demonstrating that you are aware of what skills are going to be useful in History, and that you've enjoyed that part of the A level, not just struggled through it?
Original post by Artjen
Do you not think that maybe it helps demonstrating that you are aware of what skills are going to be useful in History, and that you've enjoyed that part of the A level, not just struggled through it?

Nope

If you want to demonstrate skills useful to history then give examples of when you've displayed those skills in your own time on your own initiative.

Links to A levels are either obvious (so wasting space pointing out the obvious) or so obscure to be irrelevant (so wasting space you could be talking about a relevant TED talk you watched or documentary ir book or online lecture that better demonstrates that you want to be an undergraduate historian)
Original post by Artjen

No. Everyone who does those A levels will have the same experience and it's not relevant to why you want to study the course.
Original post by StressedCoffee
I'm writing my personal statement but I'm getting stuck about what skills I have gained from my other subjects that are useful as a historian.Other subjects I take:
Theatre studies (60%- LOTS of essays)
Psychology
Economics (Not continuing)

It's mainly the last two that I'm struggling to link to History.

Any help would be appreciated!

Historical plays?
Historical methods?
Major economics events in history, e.g. the Wall Street Crash?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by alleycat393

OK, but I'm a bit confused now because the UCAS PS builder has a whole section for
"Do your current or previous studies relate to the course(s) that you have chosen?"
and it sounds like you're saying don't bother mentioning your current studies at all.
Original post by PQ
Nope

If you want to demonstrate skills useful to history then give examples of when you've displayed those skills in your own time on your own initiative.

Links to A levels are either obvious (so wasting space pointing out the obvious) or so obscure to be irrelevant (so wasting space you could be talking about a relevant TED talk you watched or documentary ir book or online lecture that better demonstrates that you want to be an undergraduate historian)

I've been told by my teacher who's just left that it's good to put in briefly (like 2 short sentences) about the skills my other subjects have given me but I've forgotten a few that she's told me. She's been helping with personal statements for over 20 years so I really trust what she told me.
Original post by Artjen
OK, but I'm a bit confused now because the UCAS PS builder has a whole section for
"Do your current or previous studies relate to the course(s) that you have chosen?"
and it sounds like you're saying don't bother mentioning your current studies at all.

It means talking about topics or work in your history A level that you've enjoyed or your EPQ on a history topic beyond the A level curriculum.
I've been told by my teacher who's just left that it's good to put in briefly (like 2 short sentences) about the skills my other subjects have given me but I've forgotten a few that she's told me. She's been helping with personal statements for over 20 years so I really trust what she told me.

Teachers often suggest this. If an applicant is struggling to find things to write about it will fill space - just not with anything personal or helpful.

If you prefer your teachers advice to the consensus from admissions staff at universities across the country then feel free to write 2 sentences on how A level psychology gave you an insight into the thought process of historical figures.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/teachers-and-academics-disagree-over-what-makes-a-good-ucas-personal

Hi StressedCoffee,

Well done on starting early for your PS. However you should not get bogged down in wanting to include eveything you have studied in relation to history.... All it will achieve is a messy PS that doesn't flow nicely and doesn't relate to your real interest. Try instead to find a specific topic or area of History that particularly interests you and motivates you to undertake these studies.
This way you make sure that the tutors that read your PS will see you at your best and not you trying to talk about something you do not feel completely at ease with.

On this topic, why not check this video which will give you ideas on what to inlcude in your PS.

Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

UniAdmissions
(edited 7 years ago)

Hi UniAdmissions

On your profile you say "UniAdmissions is the UK’s number one university admissions company."

What is that based on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending