The Student Room Group

Why do people have a problem with wolf whistling

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
So if a man sees an attractive women he does a distinctive whistle, but I see it as harmless.

Because some women find it disrespectful, can make them feel uncomfortable or intimidated. Its moronic. Its not how you see it, its how you make the recipient feel
Reply 21
So if a man sees an attractive women he does a distinctive whistle, but I see it as harmless.

Me, me, me, me, me...

You are not at liberty to say how other people may feel. There are more appropriate ways to engage with someone to let them know you're interested.

My friendship with my closest friends will involve insulting messages and name calling when it's our birthdays. Or just any day. But would it be appropiate to say "Thanks f**k face" to someone serving you in a shop? Of course not. But with your logic, if you don't mind then no one else should.

Yes, there is a difference between f**k face and a "wolf whistles".

Well, lets examine inappropiate flirting. It may be fun with co workers or friends you're very close to. But try it on a stranger, erm no. Know your audience. If I did cross the line with a friends, I've been able to solve it easier. They knew I wasn't trying to hurt them.

Do you understand, C**k features? :smile:
The ****?

It's predatory, intimidating and threatening.
Original post by Grog
Me, me, me, me, me...

You are not at liberty to say how other people may feel. There are more appropriate ways to engage with someone to let them know you're interested.

My friendship with my closest friends will involve insulting messages and name calling when it's our birthdays. Or just any day. But would it be appropiate to say "Thanks f**k face" to someone serving you in a shop? Of course not. But with your logic, if you don't mind then no one else should.

Yes, there is a difference between f**k face and a "wolf whistles".

Well, lets examine inappropiate flirting. It may be fun with co workers or friends you're very close to. But try it on a stranger, erm no. Know your audience. If I did cross the line with a friends, I've been able to solve it easier. They knew I wasn't trying to hurt them.

Do you understand, C**k features? :smile:

Yes i do understand, but I do not understand in what cock features is, as it is my first time hearing such an insult.
Flirting with a stranger can be very exciting.
I have flirted with waitresses, sales women and with women who work behind the bar and it has been a pleasure.
Women like positive attention and compliments
Original post by rockrunride
The ****?

It's predatory, intimidating and threatening.

A whistle is intimidating and threatening?
Original post by 999tigger
Because some women find it disrespectful, can make them feel uncomfortable or intimidated. Its moronic. Its not how you see it, its how you make the recipient feel

I understand that but I have whistled at women on a night out, and they have responded positively.
A whistle is intimidating and threatening?

Indeed.

I whistle at mens asses all the time, I did a bouncer and he called me a fag, I dont care, I stood across the road from him and harassed him cos he couldnt do nothing the police was there innit :borat:
I understand that but I have whistled at women on a night out, and they have responded positively.

But that doesnt mean all women. How many women have you whistled at and how many women are there in the world?

Amd yes some women find it intimidating to go past a builders site and having attention drawn to them. Not all women are the same.

They were probably drunk.
Original post by Seamus123
They were probably drunk.

I never talk to intoxicated women.
Again the women I go for have a level of class
But that doesnt mean all women. How many women have you whistled at and how many women are there in the world?

Amd yes some women find it intimidating to go past a builders site and having attention drawn to them. Not all women are the same.

A total of four women, but I did as part of a dare
I never talk to intoxicated women.
Again the women I go for have a level of class

Newsflash! Women of all classes get drunk. So not a prostitute, then, as they are all working class?
What a sheltered life you have led, or are you really that naive?
A total of four women, but I did as part of a dare

So you think those four women are representative of all women worldwide?
Original post by Seamus123
Newsflash! Women of all classes get drunk. So not a prostitute, then, as they are all working class?

What a sheltered life you have led, or are you really that naive?

Yes, but they do not get wasted.
I saw a video of women passing out on the pavements and it is utterly disturbing.
So you think those four women are representative of all women worldwide?

No, but I know that the average woman likes to be complimented.
Its why they put in effort, when it comes to make up and clothes.
No, but I know that the average woman likes to be complimented.
Its why they put in effort, when it comes to make up and clothes.

Carry on doing it then, but I know plenty of my friends and colleagues would not appreciate you doing it and would tell you where to get off.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11569484/Sexual-harassment-Women-objectify-men.-But-wolf-whistling-is-criminal.html
Reply 37
Guy's shouldn't wolf whistle.
Cos' if you're not careful it might lead to a howl....:
[video="youtube;2cBZ1cm5Tfc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cBZ1cm5Tfc[/video]
lol.

If you really want to compliment someone on their looks, use your words. God gave you a tongue for a reason. A whistle is basically saying "I don't think you're worth wasting my speech on, but I want to let you know that you're okay enough to stick my cock in anyway if I had the chance"
Let's start a howl :flute:

Quick Reply

Latest