The Student Room Group

University module choice help

Warning - technical question ahead :tongue:

Lets say that a student is studying maths at a Russell Group University and about to go into their third year.

Imagine that this student wants to study a module offered by a different university, and that there is no issue with prerequisites.

If the other university is willing to allow said student to study the module as a
distance student, is there any practical reason why the university that the student is registered at would not allow it?

I know what the baseline response to my question will be: "why not just ask the
uni if they would allow it?".
Trouble is that uni's can be inflexible and their baseline response to the faintest whiff of anybody wishing to do anything that differs even slightly from the norm is "NO", even if their "NO" has no practical justification - hence my question.

So, any practical reasons why this wouldn't be allowed to happen? I know credit
transfers can take place etc if a student moves university, but what if a student
simply wants to study a module from another university as part of their course?
Remember, assuming no issue with prerequisites etc.

Thanks very much in anticipation :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Shameless bump
Reply 2
Another shameless bump :wink:
I doubt the university you want to get the degree from would give you the credits so you would also need to take another module. Studying in your own time at another uni is fine because that's like a hobby or something, your current uni can't tell you what your allowed to do in your free time. Expecting credits towards your current course from it would be a reach though.
Reply 4
Original post by monkyvirus
I doubt the university you want to get the degree from would give you the credits so you would also need to take another module. Studying in your own time at another uni is fine because that's like a hobby or something, your current uni can't tell you what your allowed to do in your free time. Expecting credits towards your current course from it would be a reach though.
Thanks, yeah I can imagine the university automatically saying "No!" to anything that seems slightly out of the ordinary. But are there any practical reasons that you can think of why a student would not actually be able to do this in principle, assuming no issue with prerequisites etc?
Original post by privat
Thanks, yeah I can imagine the university automatically saying "No!" to anything that seems slightly out of the ordinary. But are there any practical reasons that you can think of why a student would not actually be able to do this in principle, assuming no issue with prerequisites etc?

Um I guess if it meant you were going to miss your normal lectures/tutorials? Otherwise no. Presuming the module university had said it was okay. It'd be like taking private french lessons or something it doesn't really have anything to do with your degree university.

I'm not entirely sure you have to ask permission from your degree uni or tell them your doing it. If you don't want credit, your paying yourself, etc.
Reply 6
They probably couldn't be asked with the administration, as so many checks are needed to allow a module. But if that was not an issue then these would real reasons not to allow it: course material slightly overlaps with the other modules you are taking at degree uni, module you want isn't really designed for distance learning (?). I've had many issues like this because of wanting to study subjects not on officially on offer. What subject out of curiosity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
My uni doesn't offer a module remotely similar to the module I wish to take, so no content overlap issues exist.
No issues of prerequisites exist either.

I have taken a look at my university's regulations and, basically, credits earned at another academic institution can be recognised as counting towards a qualification at my university "if permitted".
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by privat
My uni doesn't offer a module remotely similar to the module I wish to take, so no content overlap issues exist.
No issues of prerequisites exist either.

I have taken a look at my university's regulations and, basically, credits earned at another academic institution can be recognised as counting towards a qualification at my university "if permitted".

Sounds like you should go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest