The Student Room Group

Growing a beard tips(?)

So I'm into my 5th day of beard growth.

Hair coverage on my chin, upper lip, and throat is good so far. I've always struggled with hair on my cheeks/side burns. I can grow hair there, but it just looks patchy/pubic. The closer you get to my mouth area, the more hair.

I've heard that you can only judge the results by the first month or two.

How can I keep it tidy?
Reply 1
Personally I love my big bushy beard (it's 6 months old) most people prefer to keep it short though, so an electric razor to trim it to length is useful. You can even get ti trimmed at most barbers at the same time as your hair for a small extra fee.
You grow about 6 inches of hair every year from your chin, but once it's past a certain length you barely notice t's continued growth.
The hair grows faster in summer, as you have higher testosterone levels.
Most important tip of all: Be Asian (South East, that is :wink: )
Reply 3
Original post by BobSausage
Personally I love my big bushy beard (it's 6 months old) most people prefer to keep it short though, so an electric razor to trim it to length is useful. You can even get ti trimmed at most barbers at the same time as your hair for a small extra fee.
You grow about 6 inches of hair every year from your chin, but once it's past a certain length you barely notice t's continued growth.
The hair grows faster in summer, as you have higher testosterone levels.

Yeah I've noticed that it has grown slightly faster than when I've let it grown previously.

I don't think it's long enough for a trim yet though.

I can see a lot of pale vellus hairs growing on my soul patch, lips and throat. One or two on my cheeks.

I've heard that getting your beard dyed is a thing too.
I met a bear with a beard on Grindr.. he said he used beard oil
Reply 5
Original post by hellomynameisr

Caucasians can grow perfectly good beards though.

My older brother grew a beard and he now looks like Jurgen Klopp.
Original post by The Roast
Caucasians can grow perfectly good beards though.

My older brother grew a beard and he now looks like Jurgen Klopp.

Kidding :tongue:

A lot of people tend to just have a lot of beard hair due to genetics but someone once told me that if you keep shaving, it will grow back thicker. Not sure if that is a myth or not but it certainely worked for me
Reply 7
Yeah I've noticed that it has grown slightly faster than when I've let it grown previously.

I don't think it's long enough for a trim yet though.

I can see a lot of pale vellus hairs growing on my soul patch, lips and throat. One or two on my cheeks.

I've heard that getting your beard dyed is a thing too.

I've just remembered some other things that increase testosterone levels these include:
Eating red meat (e.g. steak)
Exercise
Weighing a 'healthy'/'normal' weight
And having less stress

So if you do these things more regularly you might grow one faster or better.
Reply 8
Kidding :tongue:

A lot of people tend to just have a lot of beard hair due to genetics but someone once told me that if you keep shaving, it will grow back thicker. Not sure if that is a myth or not but it certainely worked for me

That's definitely a myth.

It makes it appear thicker because you're cutting the tips of the hair.
Reply 9
I've just remembered some other things that increase testosterone levels these include:
Eating red meat (e.g. steak)
Exercise
Weighing a 'healthy'/'normal' weight
And having less stress

So if you do these things more regularly you might grow one faster or better.

I've heard about all that too.

I can see some vellus hairs sprouting, it's a matter of how many of them can sprout over this month.

When the beard hairs I have get to a decent length I'll trim it to keep it tidy.
Reply 10
That's definitely a myth.

It makes it appear thicker because you're cutting the tips of the hair.

The real 'logic' behind it is that you are going through a phase where your hair follicles are still activating, so you shave and the the next time it pops up you have a few more follicles, again and again until you have a full beard. But personally I don't like it as a saying I just have a beard and enjoy it. Also on the idea of beard care I shampoo and condition mine almost daily (I have quite long hair so do my beard and hair at the same time), and some people recommend beard oil too.
shave everyday or every other day (thats what I am doing)
Reply 12
The real 'logic' behind it is that you are going through a phase where your hair follicles are still activating, so you shave and the the next time it pops up you have a few more follicles, again and again until you have a full beard. But personally I don't like it as a saying I just have a beard and enjoy it. Also on the idea of beard care I shampoo and condition mine almost daily (I have quite long hair so do my beard and hair at the same time), and some people recommend beard oil too.

Do you use special shampoo and conditioner? I've heard that your mainstream versions can damage the hair because they contain traces of oestrogen(?)

Yeah I accept that parts of my beard are yet to "activate", I guess that'll have to wait, so maybe I should do what you said and just shave?
Reply 13
Do you use special shampoo and conditioner? I've heard that your mainstream versions can damage the hair because they contain traces of oestrogen(?)

Yeah I accept that parts of my beard are yet to "activate", I guess that'll have to wait, so maybe I should do what you said and just shave?

Personally I just use L'Oreal. But traces of oestrogen will not affect you or your hair at all unless it gets into your blood stream (that's how hormones travel) and if you're managing to get that stuff in your blood stream I think you need to worry.

Personally I don't shave I haven't shaved in about 6 months, and whilst my friends tell me I look homeless or it's unnatural for a 16 year old to have a beard like mine but others complement me on my beard so don't be intimidated by society. Personally I'd say do what you want, if you really feel you won't be able to grow a fair beard then you might want to consider shaving but if you want a beard... have a beard.
Beard steroids
Reply 15

or mediterranian
or arab
Reply 16
Beard care oils are something I have always used, and they alleviate itchy beard and dry skin. Natural ingredients are preferred, and the simpler the ingredients, the better. Jojoba Oil, Moroccan Argan Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Aloe Vera Oil, Chamomile Oil are all ingredients that are not easy to irritate the skin. Of course, you can find your own formula and make it. Unscented beard oil is usually my first choice so I can pair it with any perfume. You can also choose according to your preferences.
Reply 17
Original post by hahazel
Beard care oils are something I have always used, and they alleviate itchy beard and dry skin. Natural ingredients are preferred, and the simpler the ingredients, the better. Jojoba Oil, Moroccan Argan Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Aloe Vera Oil, Chamomile Oil are all ingredients that are not easy to irritate the skin. Of course, you can find your own formula and make it. Unscented beard oil is usually my first choice so I can pair it with any perfume. You can also choose according to your preferences.

thread is three years old!
Get beard oil with castor oil in.

Quick Reply

Latest