The Student Room Group

Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics for A-level?

(Posting From My Mothers Account)
Is this combination actually going to be useful to me or are they too similar. I want to do a maths degree .
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tiagilbert17
Is this combination actually going to be useful to me or are they too similar. I want to do a maths degree .

No, it's fine.
Reply 2

Nowadays Universities actually prefer unrelated higher grades to specific lower grades, if there's something you're better at swap it with one of the maths because two similar courses might get difficult however if you think you're good enough and you're teachers (knowing your grades) say it's a good idea then go ahead.
Original post by Jagspb
Nowadays Universities actually prefer unrelated higher grades to specific lower grades, if there's something you're better at swap it with one of the maths because two similar courses might get difficult however if you think you're good enough and you're teachers (knowing your grades) say it's a good idea then go ahead.

Maths is actually my best subject so would it be best to leave it as it is
Reply 4
That's the best possible combination.
The subjects you have picked are fine. I did the same for AS.
A really nice combination! Especially if you decide not to do maths at university and you want to do Chemistry or Physics at University.
Reply 7

These are the 4 subjects I've chosen. At our school we had a man from Cambridge uni come in and talk to some of us about our choices and he told me that these are the top 4 subjects to study for a degree in maths (which is what I'm aiming for too :smile:) So yes they are great as long as you can do them and you enjoy them.
Original post by BobSausage
These are the 4 subjects I've chosen. At our school we had a man from Cambridge uni come in and talk to some of us about our choices and he told me that these are the top 4 subjects to study for a degree in maths (which is what I'm aiming for too :smile:) So yes they are great as long as you can do them and you enjoy them.

thank you, I am actually hoping for Cambridge if possible so that's great
Reply 9
Original post by Jagspb

They're pretty much the perfect subjects, assuming Additional Further Maths isn't an option. I know a few mathmos who did exactly those subjects.

I did those and im going to do a maths degree:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

Me too. My brother's been offered a conditional place for September, so hopefully I can use him for anything I don't know and somehow get in in a couple of years. :smile:
Reply 12
For Cambridge you'll need STEP as well. Not even STEP I, we're talking STEP II and STEP III. It's something worth looking into sooner rather than later.
Reply 13
They're the 4 I did to A2, the fact that they're all similar and relate to one another makes it seem like you're taking fewer A-levels than you actually are. A strong combination. Got A*'s in all except chemistry (A)😔 One piece of advice, don't neglect practicals ahaha!
Reply 14
Depends on the degree you're aiming for. If you aim to do maths then I'd say drop one science A level so that you have more time to focus on STEP. If it's engineering, keep all 4.
Original post by B_9710
For Cambridge you'll need STEP as well. Not even STEP I, we're talking STEP II and STEP III. It's something worth looking into sooner rather than later.

Thank you I will

get rid of chemistry, you dont need it since you want to study maths and plus you only need 3 a levels
Original post by theBranicAc
get rid of chemistry, you don't need it since you want to study maths and plus you only need 3 a levels

My school requires me to do 4 at AS level and then I can drop one at A2. Would you suggest a replacement or keep chemistry?
Hey, I'm hoping to do a Maths Degree too, and my A-levels were in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Biology so your choices are similar to mine and the only thing I would change is doing Chemistry instead of biology. So your options are great !
Good luck ~
Original post by BobSausage
Me too. My brother's been offered a conditional place for September, so hopefully I can use him for anything I don't know and somehow get in in a couple of years. :smile:

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest