The Student Room Group

Train driver forgets to stop at a station

Slightly amusing this a story of a train driver who just simply forgot to stop at the train station
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/train-driver-gives-best-excuse-8520716

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rock Fan
Slightly amusing this a story of a train driver who just simply forgot to stop at the train station

I'd understand request stops in wales but forgetting to stop on the tube, i bet they have strong words coming from their boss.
Reply 2
Sorry to be the nerd here but I'm really confused at how a stop could be missed there. They could have forgotten to stop at the terminus of the Bakerloo line (ig the tweet did say "last stop" but nothing about a terminus) or a normal stop on the Northern line but Northern line trains are automated :s-smilie:

Actually, I've read over it and it was a heavy rail train passing through Elephant & Castle, not an Underground train. Misleading photos :angry:
Reply 3
Original post by Rock Fan

Haha. You don't get this everyday but at least the driver is honest.
It's actually not that uncommon.

Drivers are peanalised more if they overrun the station than not stopping at it. So if they misjudge their speed, they are more likely to keep going thatn to try to stop and overrun.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Was ist die Logik behind da?

Your guess as good as mine.

Possbily might have something to do with pasenger safety and trying to alight at a station with no platform because of overrun.
Reply 6
I was a tube driver years ago and I made my fair share of mistakes.

On my very first day on my own I picked up a Piccadilly line train at Acton on a Bank Holiday going to Heathrow. I thought,"OK let's make sure we don't **** up on our first day so let's do everything slowly and smoothly . It's a Bank Holiday so no need to rush."

So I very carefully looked in the platform mirror,established that everyone was safely on board ,double checked the signal was green,closed the doors and moved off smoothly.

I approached South Ealing and started gently breaking from a good way out so that I glided to a smooth stop dead on the stopping mark (found on the track).

I double checked what side the platform was on before opening the doors and gave about 30 passengers plenty of time to get off. There was no one waiting to get on so I then closed the doors and glided off towards nearby Northfields.

Northfields was just as competently dealt with and so in good spirits I set off on a somewhat scenic journey towards Hounslow and then underground to Heathrow.

However just as I was approaching the next station I heard another driver contact the line controller on the radio and say,

"Hello Controller,this is train 213 on the Picc Eastbound. I've just passed through South Ealing and there seems to be a load of passengers on the station who can't get out"

Yep. I'd forgotten that South Ealing used to close on Bank Holidays .:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Pegasus2
Your guess as good as mine.

Possbily might have something to do with pasenger safety and trying to alight at a station with no platform because of overrun.

Well yes. If you overrun a station by more than the first set of doors* you obviously can't open the doors as it's potentially very dangerous.

I'm not sure about getting in more trouble for overrunning than not stopping though.

If you overrun you just blame it on the brakes.

I actually overran Terminal 4 at Heathrow because I picked up a train at Acton and the driver didn't ******* tell me it had weak brakes.

The run in to Terminal 4 is the fastest section on the Piccadilly line (along with Oakwood -Southgate southbound) and I was in the habit of bombing down at about 65 mph and then dropping the handle the second I saw light about 800 metres ahead.

Until this one train simply didn't stop !! I sailed through the station about 4 cars I reckon. I opened the cab door for some reason,hoping against hope it was just half a car I think, and I saw the passengers standing with their luggage facing the dark tunnel waiting for the doors to open,lol.

I had to announce that I'd overshot the station which was embarrassing but obviously I couldn't say that the train had **** brakes and it wasn't my fault :smile:.

The worse thing was that the passengers for Terminal 4 had to go round a very long loop to Heathrow 123 and then get another train back so I did get a ********** for that.

*the first set of doors on a tube train can be isolated by the driver so as not to open for just such an eventuality and in case of a short platform at some stations.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moggis
Well yes. If you overrun a station by more than the first set of doors* you obviously can't open the doors as it's potentially very dangerous.

I'm not sure about getting in more trouble for overrunning than not stopping though.

If you overrun you just blame it on the brakes.

I actually overran Terminal 4 at Heathrow because I picked up a train at Acton and the driver didn't ******* tell me it had weak brakes.

The run in to Terminal 4 is the fastest section on the Piccadilly line (along with Oakwood -Southgate southbound) and I was in the habit of bombing down at about 65 mph and then dropping the handle the second I saw light about 800 metres ahead.

Until this one train simply didn't stop !! I sailed through the station about 4 cars I reckon. I opened the cab door for some reason,hoping against hope it was just half a car I think, and I saw the passengers standing with their luggage facing the dark tunnel waiting for the doors to open,lol.

I had to announce that I'd overshot the station which was embarrassing but obviously I couldn't say that the train had **** brakes and it wasn't my fault :smile:.

The worse thing was that the passengers for Terminal 4 had to go round a very long loop to Heathrow 123 and then get another train back so I get a ********** for that.

*the first set of doors on a tube train can be isolated by the driver so as not to open for just such an eventuality and in case of a short platform at some stations.

I should mention I wasn't specifically refering to Tube Trains or the Underground.

A driver of the overground commuter trains told me about it a while ago.

Interesting info about the isolation of the first set of doors. These little operation details are always interesting.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
I should mention I wasn't specifically refering to Tube Trains or the Underground.

A driver of the overground commuter trains told me about it a while ago.

Interesting info about the isolation of the first set of doors. These little operation details are always interesting.

Ok,cool.

If you're a bit of a train buff you might understand my bafflement with the classic 1973 movie The Taking of Pelham 123.

The whole plot rests on the idea that it's not easy to overcome the deadmans handle feature on underground trains in New York.

But on the tube we just used to hang our bags over the handle to keep it down.

I don't know why the crooks couldn't have done that instead of the complicated thing they did. Either the handles on the New York subway must be weirdly shaped or it was a blatant liberty by the scriptwriters.

I've just bought the really good novel the films based on so perhaps that will explain it. I could google it of course but I will wait til I get to the relevant part of the book I think.

Edit I don't think the passengers could get into the cab
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moggis
Ok,cool.

If you're a bit of a train buff you might understand my bafflement with the classic 1973 movie The Taking of Pelham 123.

The whole plot rests on the idea that it's not easy to overcome the deadmans handle feature on underground trains in New York.

But on the tube we just used to hang our bags over the handle to keep it down.

I don't know why the crooks couldn't have done that instead of the complicated thing they did. Either the handles on the New York subway must be weirdly shaped or it was a blatant liberty by the scriptwriters.

I've just bought the really good novel the films based on so perhaps that will explain it. I could google it of course but I will wait til I get to the relevant part of the book I think.

Edit I don't think the passengers could get into the cab

It's not just trains, it's all sorts. I often think "well how do they deal with this or that, what system is in place to get around this problem or that problem" ... "I wonder if they thought of doing this or they could have done that."

Good film though.

lol, such a carefully made safety system defeated by a bag. Well, I guess you've got to make it so that it doesn't irritate the driver otherwise I don't blame them for looking for cheap ways to bypass it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle
I'd understand request stops in wales but forgetting to stop on the tube, i bet they have strong words coming from their boss.

Because Welsh people's time is less valuable? :tongue:
Original post by Jebedee

Nope because those particular lines only have 4 to 8 trains a day. Some stations in the far north and west of Scotland are like that too, passengers on the station have to signal to the approaching train, or passengers wishing to get off have to inform the guard.
Original post by shawn_o1
Nope because those particular lines only have 4 to 8 trains a day. Some stations in the far north and west of Scotland are like that too, passengers on the station have to signal to the approaching train, or passengers wishing to get off have to inform the guard.

If they only have 4-8 trains then I would imagine it is a much longer wait for the next one as opposed to a tube that comes every 5 minutes.
Reply 14
OH NO!

I've just been spending an hour reading about this seasons Football League and who will come where when it suddenly occurred to me why the theives in TTOP123 couldn't put a bag over the handle!

Because one of them would have to jump off a moving train,D'oh!

What an idiot I am. Well at least it means the main plot hole wasn't a plot hole after all. But now I want to think of a way they could have overcome this problem ........er they could have taken a passenger into the cab and told them to do it and then jump off or they'd shoot them?

Damn.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
It's not just trains, it's all sorts. I often think "well how do they deal with this or that, what system is in place to get around this problem or that problem" ... "I wonder if they thought of doing this or they could have done that."

Good film though.

lol, such a carefully made safety system defeated by a bag. Well, I guess you've got to make it so that it doesn't irritate the driver otherwise I don't blame them for looking for cheap ways to bypass it.

I refer you to my last post.

That's a good way to be ,curious. Very underrated. I'm constantly surprised by the apparent lack of curiosity in many people.

But the main reason I'm replying again is that I thought I'd better explain that drivers don't normally override what is of course an important safety feature and it's really not irritating to have to keep pressure on the handle.

In fact you can drive the train with just your elbow holding it down or even by leaning back and using your foot .

No,the main reason a driver would put his bag on the handle would be to look for something in his bag or rather jacket or coat or to get changed approaching the last station of his shift.

I once did it in order to have sex in the front of a train* but to be honest most of the drivers I knew probably wouldn't have done this. At least one would hope not.:smile:

May as well leave you with a couple of other things about tube trains that you may or may not find of interest;

At the bottom right of every train on the outside of the front car there is a rope .
What do you think that's for ?

When an automatic signal is red the driver is meant to go past it if it's red for more than a minute(from memory ,might be 3 minutes ). He doesn't need authorisation.

If you look under the seats of any of the cars in a 6 car train other than the two trailer cars you should find all manner of handles or cocks with which the driver can isolate the motors and even the brakes on that car and one or two other things.

If the driver is in the tunnel and he needs to discharge the traction current but can't use the radio he can simply press the two wires that run along the tunnel together and that creates a short circuit which in theory should do the trick.

In the open section under the seats there are paddles which used to be wooden and metal and which you'd need to open up and then you'd have to go on the track and place the metal section on the live rail ,turn to face away from the rail in case of sparks and then gingerly (:smile: ) place the other metal part on the negative rail to discharge current.

In an emergency you should do this at both ends of the train in case the train is over a section gap.

The live rail has gaps at regular intervals so that current can be supplied from sub stations in such a way that no part of the system has too little current.

There is no current in the live rail at terminus stations or very little so that a suicidal driver can't build up enough speed to crash.edit. Hang on,that can't be true can it. Otherwise how can the train leave !? Really thought it was the case.

There used to be s driver on the pic who was an alcoholic (more than one no doubt ) .

One day, at Northfields I believe it was ,he saw a driver he knew pulling in to the station when he was off duty and ******.

He waived at the driver but lost balance and fell in front of the train,dying.

*it was on my bucket list

Anyway I'd better leave it there. The answer to the rope question follows.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
seems legit. :lol: @OP
Original post by Jebedee

Original post by Jebedee
If they only have 4-8 trains then I would imagine it is a much longer wait for the next one as opposed to a tube that comes every 5 minutes.

2 hours in some cases but doesn't make them reliable.
Original post by moggis
I was a tube driver years ago and I made my fair share of mistakes.

On my very first day on my own I picked up a Piccadilly line train at Acton on a Bank Holiday going to Heathrow. I thought,"OK let's make sure we don't **** up on our first day so let's do everything slowly and smoothly . It's a Bank Holiday so no need to rush."

So I very carefully looked in the platform mirror,established that everyone was safely on board ,double checked the signal was green,closed the doors and moved off smoothly.

I approached South Ealing and started gently breaking from a good way out so that I glided to a smooth stop dead on the stopping mark (found on the track).

I double checked what side the platform was on before opening the doors and gave about 30 passengers plenty of time to get off. There was no one waiting to get on so I then closed the doors and glided off towards nearby Northfields.

Northfields was just as competently dealt with and so in good spirits I set off on a somewhat scenic journey towards Hounslow and then underground to Heathrow.

However just as I was approaching the next station I heard another driver contact the line controller on the radio and say,

"Hello Controller,this is train 213 on the Picc Eastbound. I've just passed through South Ealing and there seems to be a load of passengers on the station who can't get out"

Yep. I'd forgotten that South Ealing used to close on Bank Holidays .:frown:

Lol, that's a great work story. :teehee:

I travel on the Overground most days and it's so slow, I often wish the driver would miss the odd station out and just keep going. Provided it wasn't mine, obviously. :giggle:
A few years ago I was on the late night train to Vasa in Finland and it failed to stop at one of the intermediate stations on the line. By the time the passengers who wanted to get off had found the guard, it had gone many miles past the station on the single line. They backed it up though to let the people off. The train was about an hour late in Vasa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending