The Student Room Group

He doesn't show his appreciation for me, or maybe I'm just expecting too much?

My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and a half.
Whenever it's a special day like Valentines or the current 'National Girlfriends Day', he's perfectly capable of just pretending I don't exist.
For Valentines he'll take me out, and we'll have a great day, take pictures and all these things I love. But when it comes to social media, it's just all a bit silly to me.
He's perfectly capable of posting a picture of himself in a car and title it "Happy Valentines Day", or for it to be my birthday and not say anything publicly, but when it comes to other females he'll post them up telling them happy birthday or whatever.

I'm not expecting a picture or anything at all, but I don't understand what the point is in posting a picture of something completely random and then captioning it in this way.
I mean he posted a picture of a table on my birthday and wrote birthday girl. (whats the pointtttttt?) Just post your table and go lol.

Am I overthinking or what?
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and a half.
Whenever it's a special day like Valentines or the current 'National Girlfriends Day', he's perfectly capable of just pretending I don't exist.
For Valentines he'll take me out, and we'll have a great day, take pictures and all these things I love. But when it comes to social media, it's just all a bit silly to me.
He's perfectly capable of posting a picture of himself in a car and title it "Happy Valentines Day", or for it to be my birthday and not say anything publicly, but when it comes to other females he'll post them up telling them happy birthday or whatever.

I'm not expecting a picture or anything at all, but I don't understand what the point is in posting a picture of something completely random and then captioning it in this way.
I mean he posted a picture of a table on my birthday and wrote birthday girl. (whats the pointtttttt?) Just post your table and go lol.

Am I overthinking or what?

What's a bit silly?

I don't see the problem? Is he showing you love? Is he being faithful? Is he showing you any attention on these particular days? If the answer's yes to all three, then you're just thinking too hard about it.

It sounds to me you're one of those that craves to seek validation on social media. Like, as long as he gives you a text message or rings you to tell you he loves you and all this, then I don't see the problem. You're getting too hung up about it hun.

Maybe him being all joke-like is his way of dealing with love on social media. Or it's just him taking the mick out of people expressing their undying love for each other on social media, rather than face-to-face. Or maybe he's poking a bit of fun at you.

Either way, you need to chill and let him do his own thing. If he doesn't with to do any PDA on social media then that's fine. That's him and it's not worth to put a post on TSR. If you're that curious as to why he does it, I think the most logical thing to do was to be straight and ask him. Ya'll have been together for 18 months so asking such a trivial question like that, would be easy right? No one on here knows your bf better than yourself so ask him if it's keeping you up at night.

Good luck! :flutter:
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey

Good luck! :flutter:

I get this all completely. And honestly, I don't seek validation at all. I just don't understand what the point is in putting a picture of a table and writing happy birthday on it on my birthday? I'd rather he just not mention me at all on social media to be honest, including this whole happy birthday nonsense with a picture of a table.
Original post by Anonymous
I get this all completely. And honestly, I don't seek validation at all. I just don't understand what the point is in putting a picture of a table and writing happy birthday on it on my birthday? I'd rather he just not mention me at all on social media to be honest, including this whole happy birthday nonsense with a picture of a table.

Yup, I don't see the point in it either.

But your best bet is to simply ask him the next time he does it 'cause that would also get my eyes rolling and questioning "what is point in that for **** sake" too!
Reply 4
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Yup, I don't see the point in it either.

But your best bet is to simply ask him the next time he does it 'cause that would also get my eyes rolling and questioning "what is point in that for **** sake" too!

I know, and I did ask, but he kind of just skirts around it. Maybe I'm just uglier than I initially thought lol.
Hi, Anonymous
I completely understand you and why you are thinking about this. I partially agree with "The Empire Odyssey", if your boyfriend shows you love, attention, if he is faithful, you don't need to worry about this, but you said that he doesn't show this on social medias, posted a picture of a table and wished you birthday without showing you, it's kind of nonsense, if you think it is. Maybe something is wrong with him and I don't think it's because of your appearance, if he truly loves you, he wouldn't care about this. My advice to you is: talk to him. Say what concerns you, try to solve this problem. If after talking to him, he doesn't change, you need to think about this and what matters to you. He is you boyfriend and needs to understand that it concerns you. A relatioship should be confortable to both, with lots of talks and changes from each other to make this work.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending