The Student Room Group

How much do weddings cost

Hi guys

I'm going to keep this short and simple, I'm 21 and a Muslim, my parents insisting on me getting married and moving out which I do not have a problem with. The issue is they are telling me that I should be expecting to spend a minimum of £30k which I absolutely cannot provide as I go to university and have an okayish job which allows me to pay and my bills etc.

So how much do weddings actually cost? And what is the lowest you have seen?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys

I'm going to keep this short and simple, I'm 21 and a Muslim, my parents insisting on me getting married and moving out which I do not have a problem with. The issue is they are telling me that I should be expecting to spend a minimum of £30k which I absolutely cannot provide as I go to university and have an okayish job which allows me to pay and my bills etc.

Absolute lowest would be next to nothing, bar paying for the registry office. Just go to a registry office and voila. I never understand when people say they can't afford to get married. People in developing countries with no money to their name get married. You just need a bride and groom and love, obviously. The dress, cake etc are all just extras.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Lowest I have personally seen was a friend who just went to their local registry office, paid for the forms, the registrars time etc and it came to around £200 I think. They wore smart clothes they already had and didn't have any kind of reception after it and that was that. My mum's wedding was low key - went to the registry office, got some pics taken and then had a pub grub meal at a local hotel with about 10 guests and all in all everything came to around £1,500 which includes photographer, cake, her dress and stepdad's suit as well as my bridesmaids dress which all in all, is cheap for a wedding but it was very tasteful and you would have thought it would have cost a lot more.

I plan to spend roughly the same amount as my mum did for my upcoming wedding. There's ways to cut costs when it comes to wedding and any little you can save can make a difference. I'd never spend more than £5,000 on a wedding and even then, I would grudge it just for one day. I'd rather put that money towards something me and my partner would get a use out of every day or at least more than just one day like doing the house up, get a new car, go on a trip. Its the marriage that truly counts and that can be done with a cheap or expensive wedding.

You can save money on weddings such as - avoid getting married at the weekend or in the summer (those are peak times and will cost more), you can get really nice wedding dresses on ebay or amazon for quite cheap and a lot of them are actually really good quality, only invite a small group of friends and family, get cheap wedding bands from a jewelers such as Warren James.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Platopus
Absolute lowest would be nothing. Just go to a registry office and voila. I never understand when people say they can't afford to get married.

There are still fees to pay for a registry wedding, it will cost several hundred pounds.
Original post by Reue
There are still fees to pay for a registry wedding, it will cost several hundred pounds.

Yeah, just altered my post. But I stand by what I said, most people can afford to do this.
Reply 5
That's exactly the point I made, they replied back stating women in this society expect all the extras and the best they can get I also stated why spend £30k in one day for people I barely know to make the brides family happy when I can use that money for so much things over next few years, nice flat, holidays etcObviously I'm not insisting that I'm not going to spend nothing but there is a fine line between paying for what you can afford and paying for something which you will need a bank loan
Reply 6
Weddings, especially grand South Asian Weddings cost at least £30,000 (maybe £70,000-80,000).
In these cases, the direct family the partner family as well as relatives from both families will usually chip in.
You can definitely host a wedding for less than £30,000. I've been to weddings with about 70-80 people spread over 2 days that cost about £10,000 so yeah, it can definitely be done.

Even with this seemingly high price you get so much money from the guests (you could easily get several thousand pounds!)
Marry a girl from a rich family. :tongue:

My wedding cost around $15,000 (10,000 pounds) and most of it was paid for by my wife's rich aunt. I would have been happy with getting married by a judge and then go somewhere awesome on honeymoon. My wife's family, however, wanted a ceremony and food and photos and stuff. Meh. I enjoyed the alcohol and that I could celebrate with my brothers but overall I didn't think it was what I would have done - that's not to say I didn't enjoy myself, just I'd have preferred a vacation.

(It's been 3 years and we still haven't booked that honeymoon)
Reply 8
Asian weddings probably 10x the amount because you have to invite everyone you know, including the neighbors dog
Reply 9
Original post by UWS
Asian weddings probably 10x the amount because you have to invite everyone you know, including the neighbors dog

Not Asian I'm Somalian
Reply 10
Not Asian I'm Somalian

I think African weddings can get quite crazy but it depends on what you want. Remember you gotta cater for your guests too!
Reply 11
anything from a couple of hundred to.. well the sky is the limit aye?
Desi wedding functions on average cost £40k-£100k.

We're pricey motherf*#ckers. That's why we're all convinced to be doctors starting from the time we're conceived in our mothers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys

the average I read in a report was £23,000 a couple of years ago so 30k is likely about right now but that was rather deluxe
my parents was £500 back in '93 and they had suits, dress, cake, buffet, rings and a rented rolls Royce for that (but they called in a lot of favours and go family to do stuff)
i think my wedding will cost about £40,000 when I do get that far (the rings are £8,000 and £2,000 on champagne)
Original post by mercuryman
Desi wedding functions on average cost £40k-£100k.

We're pricey motherf*#ckers. That's why we're all convinced to be doctors starting from the time we're conceived in our mothers.

you have a lot of gold as well that's a fairly large chunk of it that no other culture has
Did your parents actually tell you that you have to fork out £30k? Lmao

Tell them to get ****ing real
Weddings are nothing but stress from family and a ton of cash to fork out. I don't ever want to get married. Screw that.

I feel for you Asians lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Your parents are ridiculous. If you don't have the money do they expect you to go into debt paying for a wedding. Besides you shouldn't have to pay it on your own, the bride's family should be contributing as well as yours :frown:. If no one is willing to contribute just have a small wedding, registry office, small nikah and a small dinner/party for your closest friends and family. In Islam weddings should be small and simple anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Did your parents actually tell you that you have to fork out £30k? Lmao

Tell them to get ****ing real

Yeah they did 😳

Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Your parents are ridiculous. If you don't have the money do they expect you to go into debt paying for a wedding. Besides you shouldn't have to pay it on your own, the bride's family should be contributing as well as yours :frown:. If no one is willing to contribute just have a small wedding, registry office, small nikah and a small dinner/party for your closest friends and family. In Islam weddings should be small and simple anyway.

Well everyone is expecting something big and glamorous and then they ask us men why can we not get married. This is what "normal" people of society do nowadays
You don't know what kind of dress, food she wants etc- talk to her and get a better idea of the cost :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending