The Student Room Group

Want to campaign for the 16 year old vote?

Scroll to see replies

16 Year olds should be allowed to vote.
Fullstop.
Original post by ChrisN
== We believe 16 and 17 year olds deserve to be heard in elections. If you agree and would like to get involved in researching our approach and then campaigning for change, please get in touch==

Having worked at The Student Room for 10 years, and as a College Governor at Brighton and Hove Sixth Form College, I've been overwhelmed by the number of highly engaged young students having really well informed debates on key political issues. This is sometimes more than can be said for much of the adult population.

As you turn 16 and 17 you gain the rights to get married, have children, join the army, drive, fly planes, as well as the to go to adult prison. As young people, you will also have to live with the consequences of political decisions for longer than any of the rest of us. To me it feels like a relic from the past that your voice is excluded from important political decisions. You have a right for your opinions to be listened to at the highest levels, and on the most important issues.

During the EU referendum our polls showed that 82% of 16 and 17 year olds wanted to Remain, so clearly your views were not well represented by the general voting population. Interestingly though, 16 and 17 year olds polled similarly to 18-24 year olds - 75% of whom voted Remain (YouGov after the vote), so broadly in line with your closest peers.

Scotland lowered the voting age to 16 in 2014 for the independence vote, and are now extending it for all elections. With the current sweeping political change in the UK we feel that the time is right to follow their lead, and to push to get the UK parliament to adopt this progressive position.

So with that in mind, we would like to identify driven members of the TSR community who would like to get involved in researching, refining our position, and campaigning for this change, with the support of TSR to assist with political contacts, public relations and lobbying. We will consider whether to go this alone, or to join up with other organisations.

As TSR is used by 75% of the 16-24 population, and gets 8.5 million visits to our websites each month, we are often approached, and listened to, by the political establishment as well as other media, and we feel it is right to use this position to help drive through a change we feel so passionately about.

If this is a cause that you feel strongly that you would like to help with, then post your interest in here, and we will get a private forum set-up to start discussing the best route forwards.

We want to do our bit to ensure your voice is heard. We hope you do too, and will join us in making this happen.

We understand their will be differences of opinion on this subject, and that's fine too.

Thanks

Chris

Wait, So I can get a PPL at 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
Doesn't matter either way. Young people don't vote.
Nope.
All these salty stay voters, only 36%(that means under 1/3 of young adults actually voted to stay btw) of 18-25 came out to vote in the brexit, there is no way that 16-17 year olds would come out in enough numbers to make a difference.
Funny how so called "liberals" are advocating tests as a prerequisite as a right to vote....... There shouldn't be any gets. Wait till your 18 then exercise your right to vote simple
Original post by Galaxie501
Absolutely 100% against it. I dont even believe 18 year olds should be able to vote due to a lack of experience and understanding of how the world works. Just look at the great majority of Bernie supporters: College/University educated people with very little understanding of politics and economics - despite their education.

I know this is not possible, but around 30 seems a good age to make an educated vote.

Also, whats next, 12 year old vote?

lol
Reply 107
If anything the voting age should be raised to 21, not lowered to 16.
Original post by ATW1
If anything the voting age should be raised to 21, not lowered to 16.

Agreed.
Original post by ChrisN
== We believe 16 and 17 year olds deserve to be heard in elections. If you agree and would like to get involved in researching our approach and then campaigning for change, please get in touch==

Having worked at The Student Room for 10 years, and as a College Governor at Brighton and Hove Sixth Form College, I've been overwhelmed by the number of highly engaged young students having really well informed debates on key political issues. This is sometimes more than can be said for much of the adult population.

As you turn 16 and 17 you gain the rights to get married, have children, join the army, drive, fly planes, as well as the to go to adult prison. As young people, you will also have to live with the consequences of political decisions for longer than any of the rest of us. To me it feels like a relic from the past that your voice is excluded from important political decisions. You have a right for your opinions to be listened to at the highest levels, and on the most important issues.

During the EU referendum our polls showed that 82% of 16 and 17 year olds wanted to Remain, so clearly your views were not well represented by the general voting population. Interestingly though, 16 and 17 year olds polled similarly to 18-24 year olds - 75% of whom voted Remain (YouGov after the vote), so broadly in line with your closest peers.

Scotland lowered the voting age to 16 in 2014 for the independence vote, and are now extending it for all elections. With the current sweeping political change in the UK we feel that the time is right to follow their lead, and to push to get the UK parliament to adopt this progressive position.

So with that in mind, we would like to identify driven members of the TSR community who would like to get involved in researching, refining our position, and campaigning for this change, with the support of TSR to assist with political contacts, public relations and lobbying. We will consider whether to go this alone, or to join up with other organisations.

As TSR is used by 75% of the 16-24 population, and gets 8.5 million visits to our websites each month, we are often approached, and listened to, by the political establishment as well as other media, and we feel it is right to use this position to help drive through a change we feel so passionately about.

If this is a cause that you feel strongly that you would like to help with, then post your interest in here, and we will get a private forum set-up to start discussing the best route forwards.

We want to do our bit to ensure your voice is heard. We hope you do too, and will join us in making this happen.

We understand their will be differences of opinion on this subject, and that's fine too.

Thanks

Chris

All your post proved to me is the age of those other things should be raised :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChrisN

So they could get the right result, from naive inexperienced people. If anything the voting age should be raised, I knew nothing at 16, and barely anything at 18. I think 21 would be better. It's not 'progressive' to push the voting age down, the logical conclusion is that you could have children voting long term. Experience is pertinent. You're proposing that at an age where people can't drink or drive, that they can decide the future of a country. It's more important not less.

I presume this is to do with a second referendum, you can't change the rules then, it'd be totally corrupt.
(edited 7 years ago)
Absolutely 100% against it. I dont even believe 18 year olds should be able to vote due to a lack of experience and understanding of how the world works. Just look at the great majority of Bernie supporters: College/University educated people with very little understanding of politics and economics - despite their education.

I know this is not possible, but around 30 seems a good age to make an educated vote.

Exactly. However engaged they are, a sixteen-year-old can't be trusted to decide what's for dinner, let alone who should run the country and how.

I also agree about being around thirty... well, I'd say mid-twenties, and eligability to vote should depend on an aptitude test: examine a person to see if they're capable of making informed decisions before allowing them to make non-informed ones. Maybe even use the exam results in lieu of the ballot (anonymous examinations, in that case).
Speaking as a 17 year old, you're all forgetting that we attend school; politics lessons could be made compulsary.

Saying we're uneducated and that we shouldn't get the vote isn't really going to solve any problems. When do you become politically educated? Do you, on your 18th birthday, have an epiphany in which you magically form political opinions and become "educated"? Absolutely not! I'm actually sick of people who are older than me dismissing "my generation" for being "uneducated" and doing nothing about it. Educate us.
Original post by WhatIsSleep
Speaking as a 17 year old, you're all forgetting that we attend school; politics lessons could be made compulsary.

Saying we're uneducated and that we shouldn't get the vote isn't really going to solve any problems. When do you become politically educated? Do you, on your 18th birthday, have an epiphany in which you magically form political opinions and become "educated"? Absolutely not! I'm actually sick of people who are older than me dismissing "my generation" for being "uneducated" and doing nothing about it. Educate us.

Who's going to regulate what the teachers do in these classes? I'd say the children would be easily swayed.
Original post by AccountingBabe
Who's going to regulate what the teachers do in these classes? I'd say the children would be easily swayed.

Teachers aren't allowed to advocate their political/religious beliefs in the classroom anyway.
What has brain development got to do with forming political ideas? Just because we're still growing doesn't mean we can't have an opinion. Being generally uneducated in political matters is not because of our brains. It's because we're not receiving an education.
Original post by Pulse.
We would be giving the vote to feotuses if people like you truly had your way. Your only advocating giving the vote to 16 year olds because you know they will vote in a certain manner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

100% this.

Schoolchildren are brainwashed into supporting the EU and other PC agenda.

'He who controls the youth controls the future.'

The only reason young people would be given the vote is to further the interests of specific parties, hence why the Conservatives will never give young people the vote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hello i need some help please
i need to ask about this information?
i don't understand what they are need

I'm genuinely curious as to how supporting Bernie displays a lack of political and economic knowledge.

You can't assume that if we let 16 year olds have the vote, 12 year olds will also ask for the vote.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope
Original post by WhatIsSleep
I'm actually sick of people who are older than me dismissing "my generation" for being "uneducated"

Don't worry, you can hear it from someone your own age too!

Our generation is uneducated.

To be honest, it's not even about being educated. 16 - 18 year olds are stupid, and they will always be stupid. No amount of education will change that. Ask any 18 year old if they thought they should have been able to vote when they were 16. Most will say no, because they know their 16 year old brain was too easily influenced and naive to make a good decision.

The only reason I think 18 year olds can even vote is because they start full-time work at that point.

If 16 year olds got the vote, you'd see a revival of the British Communist Party and other stupid ideas.

Besides, people now only want to extend the vote to 16 year olds because they know that if they had the vote Remain would have won.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending