The Student Room Group

How much do you actually need to earn to live in London as a single young adult?

Currently I'm working in Newcastle and living on my own in a studio flat. I get paid hourly, not as part of a salary, but I've calculated that I'm earning about £11,200 a year (that's before tax is deducted, but since the tax allowance is £11,000 i'm barely paying anything in income tax). That JUST gets me by and leaves not an awful lot for anything else. I don't have a car anymore.

If I was to get a job I'm considering applying for at Heathrow Airport and wanted to move to somewhere where public transport or even cycling was an option (not sure which zone Heathrow is in), how much would I actually need to get by? The salary on the job is listed as £25,000 to £27,000, would I be able to survive on that if i wanted to carry on renting my own studio flat? I've had a look online but can't find an awful lot on that, they list how much every individual thing but don't give an estimate on how much your wages need to be before tax to live anywhere. There was one website which said you'd need about £60-80k, but a) they were probably referring to bringing up a family and living comfortably with plenty of disposable income and b) how on earth would you need that much? Who works in jobs that pays that much these days??

Anyone who actually lives by themselves in London reading this?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Heathrow isn't really London. It's far out enough that property prices are considerably cheaper than Central, so £25k should be fine.

That said, I'm not sure what the scene is like for people who want to live alone. I don't know anyone who does. The norm here is to share with others, so I'd maybe suggest changing your expectations a little in that respect*
LOL FAM heathrow is like 40 mins away by car from the london you're dreaming of.
Reply 3
I was a graduate on 27k a year ago and struggling to save anything at all. 700GBP rent + 2k a year insuring a crappy car. I would just get the hell out of there. I'm on 47k now, hopefully more soon, and paying 610NZD for same standard of rent and no car insurance or anything. London is cancer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by cipi
I was a graduate on 27k a year ago and struggling to save anything at all. 700GBP rent + 2k a year insuring a crappy car. I would just get the hell out of there. I'm on 47k now, hopefully more soon, and paying 610 for same standard of rent and no car insurance or anything. London is cancer.

What do you work as?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by AdeptDz
What do you work as?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Software dev - 2 years single graduating.
Wow, the prices in London nowadays are scary. When I was there in 1984, as a Ballet Student I was living in a student hostel, in Frognal, Hampstead. [St.Dorothy's Convent]. The rent was £25 a week, including breakfast and evening meals. We lived in a huge house that used to be owned by Charles De Gaulle and Sting lived over the road from us. He used to wave to us all every morning. [Just reminiscing there ]. I now live in Northern Ireland. I rent a 3 bedroom house with large dining room and large front and back gardens in a quiet cul de sac. The rent is £100 a week, which is pretty normal for over here. There is also no Council Tax over here either. I've been here for 17 years now, with my 19 year old son. I cannot imagine moving back to England, even Manchester where I am from. It would just be too expensive.
Its no surprise to see the criminal subculture is absolutely rife there now. A mix of global finance/3rd world migration and MTV culture is to blame.
Reply 8
Original post by cipi
Software dev - 2 years single graduating.

cool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Yeah, I don't think I'm going to bother with it. It's too far away from family and too much of a risk.

Thanks for all your replies! :biggrin:
Original post by FightToWin
Currently I'm working in Newcastle and living on my own in a studio flat. I get paid hourly, not as part of a salary, but I've calculated that I'm earning about £11,200 a year (that's before tax is deducted, but since the tax allowance is £11,000 i'm barely paying anything in income tax). That JUST gets me by and leaves not an awful lot for anything else. I don't have a car anymore.

If I was to get a job I'm considering applying for at Heathrow Airport and wanted to move to somewhere where public transport or even cycling was an option (not sure which zone Heathrow is in), how much would I actually need to get by? The salary on the job is listed as £25,000 to £27,000, would I be able to survive on that if i wanted to carry on renting my own studio flat? I've had a look online but can't find an awful lot on that, they list how much every individual thing but don't give an estimate on how much your wages need to be before tax to live anywhere. There was one website which said you'd need about £60-80k, but a) they were probably referring to bringing up a family and living comfortably with plenty of disposable income and b) how on earth would you need that much? Who works in jobs that pays that much these days??

Thanks

When most property is upwards of £400,000 in London then you can see why you need such a high salary to be able to contemplate buying. There are a fair few high paying jobs in the financial sector in London.
Reply 11
Check out the Tube Rent Map. It's an unoffical infographic showing average rents around tube stops. Hounslow, where Heathrow is, is actually one of the cheapest areas.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/this-tube-map-shows-the-cost-of-renting-a-onebedroom-flat-within-a-kilometre-of-every-station-a2958291.html
Reply 12
You'll survive on £25k. But frankly do you want to be living on the financial edge? My stepfather used to live on £60k in Camden and found it tough. Tbh heathrow isn't really London. Frankly it's just inside the m25. I wouldn't bother unless you can get financial support from family. It will cost a lot to move back again if you don't like it.
Reply 13
Also living in a cheap area of London is pretty unpleasant. Also being poor in London is the most demoralising feeling in the world. If your job will get you a significant pay rise after a couple of years, like most graduate jobs, do it. Otherwise don't bother.
Original post by tg1998
You'll survive on £25k. But frankly do you want to be living on the financial edge? My stepfather used to live on £60k in Camden and found it tough. Tbh heathrow isn't really London. Frankly it's just inside the m25. I wouldn't bother unless you can get financial support from family. It will cost a lot to move back again if you don't like it.

I completely agree, hence why I'm no longer considering it. It would be too far from family, I don't want to be living on the financial edge, I'm happy where I am in Newcastle, it's a great place, and the current state of London.. ugh. Nah, Newcastle any day of the week for me.
Reply 15
What do you guys think is a reasonable portion of salary to spend towards rent (Central London)? I'm thinking something around 40% of net salary.
Reply 16

Thanks

I was working in Heathrow on a £28k salary two years ago. Take home after student loan, pension etc was £1650 a month

It's not enough to rent a studio flat and afford other things in life. Studio would be well over 50% of take home when you factor in other costs

I pad £400 a month for a house share and loved it
Original post by Drex50
I was working in Heathrow on a £28k salary two years ago. Take home after student loan, pension etc was £1650 a month

It's not enough to rent a studio flat and afford other things in life. Studio would be well over 50% of take home when you factor in other costs

I pad £400 a month for a house share and loved it

Where did you work in Heathrow?
Reply 18
Where did you work in Heathrow?

One of the hotels (just outside the airport)
imo

40k minimum

Latest

Trending

Trending