The Student Room Group

Mentioning Jobs let go from on CV?

Fro the sake of showing that I haven't been unemployed since December last year - I'll have to mention a couple of jobs that I left in January and then one that I got fired from end of Feb and then my latest one at a bar which let me go...all ridiculous reasons...this world is insane. Or maybe I'm a terrible person.

Last job said they'd give me a reference, but would it be worth it if it looks that bad...?
Difficult one. You don't want to lie on your application but don't want the new place to contact the old ones for a ref where you left on a bad note. What happened?
Original post by Day3091
Fro the sake of showing that I haven't been unemployed since December last year - I'll have to mention a couple of jobs that I left in January and then one that I got fired from end of Feb and then my latest one at a bar which let me go...all ridiculous reasons...this world is insane. Or maybe I'm a terrible person.

Last job said they'd give me a reference, but would it be worth it if it looks that bad...?

Depends on -

How much you need to show you were employed, and can't come up with some other reasonable use of your time.

Whether those jobs give evidence of relevant skills for the next job you apply for.

Whether you can honestly put a spin on why you left that doesn't put a bad light on either your performance or your employer's business skills (don't ***** about anyone)

If you will need a reference (no-one decent, offers a reference if it's going to be bad)
Reply 3
Yeah good point, I doubt that they'd give me a reference if it were to be bad...or I'd like to think so! I started working at a pretty popular bar in Liverpool town on 2nd July and it was going well, just 3 evenin shifts a week doing bar backing stuff. There was only 4 lads there in the back and twenty odd girls on the bar. I got paid my first fortnights worth of wages on the 18th and they a) gave me the wrong rate of £5.30 when I'm 26 and qualify for £7.20 and b) gave me the wrong amount of hours.

I spoke to one of the managers the next day to point it out but wasn't told that you basically have to get everything sorted by Monday and have to wait until the following Monday for any more pay. If he'd have said that straight away I wouldn't have kept asking but It took me until the 26th to actually communicate everything to the GM and sort out all of the reasons for the mistakes. the time it took in itself is a joke, it's as if I was doing something unreasonable and they were shying away - it's their ****ing job, but what's funnier is their supposed reason for not paying me the proper amount; I asked why there was a mistake with my age when I stated twice that my birthday is 1990 but they mistook the '0' for a '6'! I can't believe she looked at me with a straight face and said that - naturally I poured mild irony and sarcasm into my reply "well i'll just have to take their word for it won't i?" when really I just wanted to choke the clowns out for taking the piss...I know I look abit young but I did give in ID and my national insurance number aswell. I sense alot of ****ery going on.

I didn't have a sign on number when I first started aswell - another instance of negligence. I was told by the manager that it would get sorted out and that they would "log the outstanding hours for me". It turns out that on payday they hadn't logged the hours and the combination of the hours and the rate brought me up £170 short from the first wage which I'm STILL WAITING FOR and won't get until next week. I've had to tell the owner of the bar all of this because of their ridiculous system / negligence.

But yeah the day after I highlighted everything on the 26th - I was fired in a meeting because I was "too slow" apparently. Load of nonsense in my opinion...there were guys there way slower than me, I was doing the job fine. I think they took offence because I was actually doing something about their pisstaking, like any sane and self respecting person would do with any idea as to what fairness is. I asked them for a contract twice aswell and didn't end up getting one because they just skirted away from it like little worms. I think that offended them aswell, I sound angry now but I was very normal and formal about the whole thing. There was just no reason for them to be such clowns.

And that's just my last job! There's another story about an insurance company I was working for which is similarly absurd bu all down to one woman whom I hope has since had her comeuppance for being a power tripping, ignorant, childish and pathetic ****.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Day3091

Ah! I think I understand now. Good luck :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Original post by Day3091

Just list the jobs and don't give references.

For the record, IIRC if someone says they'll give you a reference they'll probably not give you a bad one - I don't think it's even allowed.
Original post by Tootles
Just list the jobs and don't give references.

For the record, IIRC if someone says they'll give you a reference they'll probably not give you a bad one - I don't think it's even allowed.

The writer of a reference has a legal obligation to be honest. A reference is a request to comment on an individual's performance in the workplace. That includes not omitting facts that are relevant to the individual's performance, such as disciplinary procedures, under-performance, lateness etc etc.

A request for a reference from a prospective new employer may include very specific questions such as 'Has X ever been the subject of any disciplinary processes?', 'Does X deal with workplace challenges in a positive and constructive manner?', and 'Would you re-employ X?' etc. If asked these sort of questions, they must be answered honestly, or not answered!

It is absolutely untrue that a reference cannot be bad.
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
The writer of a reference has a legal obligation to be honest. A reference is a request to comment on an individual's performance in the workplace. That includes not omitting facts that are relevant to the individual's performance, such as disciplinary procedures, under-performance, lateness etc etc.

A request for a reference from a prospective new employer may include very specific questions such as 'Has X ever been the subject of any disciplinary processes?', 'Does X deal with workplace challenges in a positive and constructive manner?', and 'Would you re-employ X?' etc. If asked these sort of questions, they must be answered honestly, or not answered!

It is absolutely untrue that a reference cannot be bad.

Thanks threeportdrift, I thought that myself...I'd only been there since the 2nd July and it was my first proper bar job so I was just picking stuff up and rolling with it, did the job fine enough and nothing was said until a new manager came in around the 15th and started being really power trippy, turning molehills into mountains kinda mentality you know, slightly condescending and unnecessarily strict. She was the one who said I "was too slow and had trouble following direction" when I was dismissed so I don't see how she would give a good reference...but there was another manager there who wasn't as bad. What are the odds I could get them to ask for him specifically though? Is it really worth it when a reference could make or break employment?

Cheers guys
Original post by Day3091
I could get them to ask for him specifically though?

When asked for referee details, give that person's details directly, not any generic company details.
Reply 9
Thanks, I think I'll do just that.
Reply 10
Just another question. One of my references is a police officer who I happen to know through being my cousin's husband. I've noted him down as "Police Officer / Acquaintance" but do you think I should just leave how I know him blank at the least?

Thanks
Original post by Day3091
Just another question. One of my references is a police officer who I happen to know through being my cousin's husband. I've noted him down as "Police Officer / Acquaintance" but do you think I should just leave how I know him blank at the least?

Thanks

As a family member, even a cousin's husband, they won't normally be acceptable as a referee.
Reply 12
How about "acquaintance" and then just leave it as a mystery and if they ask say that i was thinkin about joinin the police...
Original post by Day3091
How about "acquaintance" and then just leave it as a mystery and if they ask say that i was thinkin about joinin the police...

Just say he is a family friend. They wont know you are related unless you or he say so.
Reply 14
Original post by Emma:-)
Just say he is a family friend. They wont know you are related unless you or he say so.

Yeah good idea. Tbh I didn't think cousin-in-laws would've been a problem. I see him once in a blue moon anyway lol
Original post by Day3091
Yeah good idea. Tbh I didn't think cousin-in-laws would've been a problem. I see him once in a blue moon anyway lol

I know what you mean in that they arent a cose relative- but they are still a relative in the eyes of employers. So best just to put "family friend" or something. Then as long as they dont slip that you are related then you should be fine.
Reply 16
Yeah, cheers for the heads up. I've got a trial shift at Waterstones Cafe on Saturday and may have something else next month =]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending