The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 11234
Whafs harmonic division and what does it mean

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projective_harmonic_conjugate

It is nicely explained.
Can anyone help re: how much to budget per week for living expenses outside of accomodation fees. I guess it varies a bit college to college. Are there likely to be any big one off bills at the start? It would really help since now we know how much loan he is getting we need to work out how much extra we need to find and decieded how best to pay it i.e monthly or a lump sum each term.
Original post by 11234
Whafs harmonic division and what does it mean

We use jt on situations involving menelause and ceva we get useful facts with ratios then we can use that to prove if something is concurrent or collinear via use of that.
If you use Ceva and Menelaus on the configuration we get the 'harmonic divisions'.
I have a Ceva and menelaus worksheet will send it through.
Also a nice proof of menelaus is making it rain by dropping perpendiculars to a parralel base line and doinf similar triangles, that is one of the simplest proofs I have seen.
Will send the worksheet if I find it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enlightenedmum
Can anyone help re: how much to budget per week for living expenses outside of accomodation fees. I guess it varies a bit college to college. Are there likely to be any big one off bills at the start? It would really help since now we know how much loan he is getting we need to work out how much extra we need to find and decieded how best to pay it i.e monthly or a lump sum each term.

You don't need money mate. Mathmos need
5 pound for pens
20 quid for paper
A few books.
That is it. You need not any food.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
5 pound for pens
20 quid for paper
A few books.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice and cheap then......shame he won't be studying maths.
Reply 1725

Are you doing maths at cambridge too? Waht college if you dont mind?
5 pound for pens
20 quid for paper
A few books.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats a mom lol

AFAIK, there weren't any big bills for my sister (Queens' Land Ec) but my mum gave her £75 a week bank transfer and then sometimes if she went into overdraft, a little bit more would have been transferred if necessary, but generally that covered everything. There will be some big bills, for instance if your child wants to go to a May ball or needs some cash to cover a Uni trip. Also I believe that if anything happens to any furniture in their room (i.e. breakages or missing items) they may charge a bit for that but I doubt that's likely to happen :smile:
Original post by 11234
Are you doing maths at cambridge too? Waht college if you dont mind?

Nah

I just love maths!

I am an Oxford applicant (Biological sciences)

I suppose the safest way to go would be to allow £100 each week. That would cover for a lot including food, going out, odd bits that might be needed etc. Combined with the maintenance loan, you probably won't need to give £100 each week's worth.

I would personally prefer a monthly, if not weekly, transfer to avoid spending all the money in one go but it's really up to your child :smile:

I intend on trying to avoid asking family for any money because I do get the full maintenance loan and bursary and that's all paid termly :redface: It could be a task trying to keep in mind that I have bills to pay at the end of term and not get excited at the sight of large amounts of money!
(edited 7 years ago)
5 pound for pens
20 quid for paper
A few books.

Posted from TSR Mobile

will we even need to buy books though? Im pretty sure they have copies of nearly everything and ive been getting my cousin to take out some books for me to use over the holidays so suppose they allow long withdrawals.
Original post by EnglishMuon
will we even need to buy books though? Im pretty sure they have copies of nearly everything and ive been getting my cousin to take out some books for me to use over the holidays so suppose they allow long withdrawals.

Yeah and pretty much all the college libraries will order books in if you put in a request too

It varies a bit by college but you can usually borrow for 2 weeks, and then renew online. You can borrow for vacations too.

e.g. Christ's https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/library/faqs/borrowing
5 pound for pens
20 quid for paper
A few books.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to expand on physicsmaths's last point, in case anyone is confused. We eat the paper we have used - its efficient (eating a waste product) and surprisingly nutritious.
Original post by jneill
It varies a bit by college but you can usually borrow for 2 weeks, and then renew online. You can borrow for vacations too.

e.g. Christ's https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/library/faqs/borrowing

ah ok, thanks. tbh the thing that worries my the most is not the heavy workload but me forgetting to do other practical tasks like returning books/ eating :tongue:

You won't need money for books. Libraries around the university will always have enough books for you, and if they don't (or if you can't be bothered to get out of bed!) you can get them online. In the worst case you can ask college to pay for them or the library to buy more copies.

First term freshers is probably going to be the one term where you will spend quite a bit, your college bill tends to be billed in the first week of term (at Caius it is, not sure about other colleges), membership fees for certain societies, as well as 'freshers week'. Aside from that, I budget myself £10 a day throughout the year for food, drink to get through the day (that doesn't include the weekly shop) and then for other items like alcohol and things you want to buy such as clothes that's up to you and is generally a thing that you buy when you see it.

Other items include formal swaps and general formal tickets which tend to be either billed on your college bill or payed by cash to the person you're swapping with if money is necessary. Books aren't that necessary, the library has everything you need, although some colleges have book bursaries.

Optional stuff that students tend to buy are college jumpers/shirts/scarves and sports jackets/hats for the sport they partake in. These are all one off things that you might purchase in first term as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gasfxekl
thats a mom lol

*mum

Don't you go around demeaning our honourable tongue with Johnny Foreigner's heathenly slang, old boy, I just won't have it!
Have people been contacted for the meningitis vaccine for uni?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
*mum

Don't you go around demeaning our honourable tongue with Johnny Foreigner's heathenly slang, old boy, I just won't have it!

honorable*

Latest

Trending

Trending