The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marioman
Perhaps not at your university but this can and does swing the decision on whether to accept someone who missed their offer at Cambridge they require those who missed their offer to send in all their UMS marks via email on results day.

Yes - for the 1% of applicants who are at cambridge - the small number of them who miss their offer have to notify them of UMS.

But Cambridge make sure that applicants know that - for the other 99% of applicants missing by a small amount isn't going to make any difference to decision making unless an applicant is getting a priority remark.
Original post by Anon_98
More than okay, thank you. Yourself?

comme ci, comme ça :redface:
Original post by nikm001
Same. Biology was madness :frown::frown::frown:

Original post by nikm001
Same. Biology was madness :frown::frown::frown:

Which exam board? I was on AQA, and while the papers weren't too bad, with AQA being AQA, you'll never know what they'll do...
Reply 1903
Original post by PQ
Yes - for the 1% of applicants who are at cambridge - the small number of them who miss their offer have to notify them of UMS.

But Cambridge make sure that applicants know that - for the other 99% of applicants missing by a small amount isn't going to make any difference to decision making unless an applicant is getting a priority remark.

Maybe I'm imagining this but wasn't there something in an article about if you are still pending on results day telling them you were something like 2 UMS a off your offer might help?

Also, do you think it's worth getting a list of unis to call up for clearing spots now just in case?
Original post by Aph
Maybe I'm imagining this but wasn't there something in an article about if you are still pending on results day telling them you were something like 2 UMS a off your offer might help?

Also, do you think it's worth getting a list of unis to call up for clearing spots now just in case?

I know a lot of people say this.

If you're pending you should call them up and give them any information they ask for. But if you're only 2 UMS off your offer you should be getting a priority remark anyway...and telling them THAT is more likely to sway their decision that the fact that you only missed by a bit - a miss is a miss. From a league table point of view a high B is the same as a low B - if a course has an A grade average then a B is going to damage that. Most universities don't monitor UMS against performance - they look at grades. If people with Bs in that subject have failed or dropped out or done poorly in the past then even a very high B isn't going to convince them that you're more capable than those previous people.

When UMS first became a thing a lot of universities WERE sympathetic to people who had just missed - and ended up accepting people who then failed or didn't do well on the course.

All this being said - I'll repeat again the fact from last year: 40% of people who were accepted by their firm on results day last year missed their predictions by 2 or MORE grades.

In most cases a dropped grade or even 2 will not be an automatic rejection.

A university will only reject you because either
a) they genuinely don't think you'll have the academic ability/grounding to do well on the course
b) they physically/logistically can't take any more people (either because they don't have the staff or the timetabling space or the lab space or the number of work placements or they guaranteed accommodation to firm students and they're hitting their limit on places or some other reason - in some cases lack of capacity can be caused by a different department making more offers/getting more acceptances/having more people meet their offers than anyone expected and a substantial problem with the timetabling)

As for being prepared for clearing: I'd say this is ALWAYS a good idea. Having some back up options that you LIKE and feel quite excited about makes a massive difference to how you'll cope emotionally if things go badly. Being able to see another path is a huge reassurance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by connieiscrazy
I don't want to check - I'd rather get my results first.

I'm surprised at people who can actually muster up the courage to check track before they get their grades - I'm very much an 'ignorance is bliss' kind of person... also, if I checked before I got my results and something undesirable appeared, I'd be panicking all the way to school lmao

Original post by smegsxo
I'm not checking it (I can get my results at 9am) but I'm logging my mum and boyfriend in to look. Personally, I just want to open paper results for the last time and I'd panic if it said I hadn't got in to my firm about how well I did in my exams. I'll have to leave about 8:15 or 8:30 to get to school for 9am anyway so I can keep busy getting ready and meeting up with people before I get the results.

So I guess it's more a panic thing for you two? I'm the opposite, I'd panic if I didn't know before I went to my college! Whatever works for you I guess:smile:

Original post by somevirtualguy
I think my Sixth Form put results online at 7:30 so that settles it for me anyway. But even if it wasn't before track was updated I'd still wait, at least if I fail I could hold off the despair for a little while longer 😂

I think I'd probably look at my grades first if I was in your situation...I'm a very 'if the info is there I want to see it' person. But I totally get where you're coming from :frown:
Original post by mgill17
So I guess it's more a panic thing for you two? I'm the opposite, I'd panic if I didn't know before I went to my college! Whatever works for you I guess:smile:

I think I'd probably look at my grades first if I was in your situation...I'm a very 'if the info is there I want to see it' person. But I totally get where you're coming from :frown:

I don't want my mum to look because she'll give it away but she's insistent :redface: it's more that I decided at AS results day that I wanted to open my results like I had for the last 3 years, looking at the envelope and the grades inside it. I'll panic either way (hence why my boyfriend is logging on using my phone as I open them- quick access to UCAS!) so it's less panic and more just the way I want to do it, paper results for the last time I guess.
Original post by smegsxo
I don't want my mum to look because she'll give it away but she's insistent :redface: it's more that I decided at AS results day that I wanted to open my results like I had for the last 3 years, looking at the envelope and the grades inside it. I'll panic either way (hence why my boyfriend is logging on using my phone as I open them- quick access to UCAS!) so it's less panic and more just the way I want to do it, paper results for the last time I guess.

I'd be like that, if I knew someone had got into their firm I'd be too excited for them to not tell them! You could give her your login right before you leave (unless she's going with you to your college).

I totally get that though...I like the idea that your boyfriend is logging on as you open your results, if I had the guts to do that I would:frown:
Original post by mgill17
I'd be like that, if I knew someone had got into their firm I'd be too excited for them to not tell them! You could give her your login right before you leave (unless she's going with you to your college).

I totally get that though...I like the idea that your boyfriend is logging on as you open your results, if I had the guts to do that I would:frown:

I won't be getting in to my firm so I fully expect the look of disappointment after she sees it:tongue: she's driving me in but her and my dad will go off shopping whilst I meet friends and go get the results. I'm 50/50 about just wanting to get them now and not wanting them for another few months :biggrin:
Original post by vik1234
BS

I'm not lying, I am oneof the4 shes in contact with
DM message
16 days (and breathe). I can already feel myself becoming nervous now (not that I was before!!) I had a dream that I got Cs in all 3 subjects, so hopefully that's a sign I've done alright???

Okay. I need to stop panicking :o:o

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is crazy. Did anybody here do WJEC A2 Biology this year?
Original post by smegsxo
I won't be getting in to my firm so I fully expect the look of disappointment after she sees it:tongue: she's driving me in but her and my dad will go off shopping whilst I meet friends and go get the results. I'm 50/50 about just wanting to get them now and not wanting them for another few months :biggrin:

If you feel that way you're probably better not checking track first then! But you might still get into your firm don't lose hope! If it was my parents I'd be giving them my login as I left the car...luckily mine are both at work on that day and they go early so I won't have to see them on the morning...they tend to make me more nervous (unintentionally of course).

I think that's why I am doing it the other way around because Depending on one grade I go to my firm or I go into clearing (my firm is higher than my insurance...and my insurance is usually always oversubscribed for my course anyway...it isn't in clearing either). I'd rather be put out of my misery through the uni first because my grades 100% aren't going to be as good as they could have been.
I just want mine now:frown:
Original post by Serine Soul
Ohhhh save my soul!!!

It's too late for you now, friend! Who knows how long that pen has been there, infecting your home? No, your only choice is to move out come September and pray that the pen doesn't follow you....
You'll all be reminiscing about exam boards next year when you're at uni and exam papers are set by lecturers, half the time there aren't any past papers and there's no mark schemes or similar available....
Original post by PQ
You'll all be reminiscing about exam boards next year when you're at uni and exam papers are set by lecturers, half the time there aren't any past papers and there's no mark schemes or similar available....

But why?!?! Why do they want us not to be prepared? :frown:
16 days till I'm absolutely screwed
Rate of posting of this forum has increased as the nerves have clearly set in. Knowing that my University will have my results in their hands in 9 days makes it worse.
(edited 7 years ago)
Honestly, the more people post in here and the more I have to read on this thread the better I feel. Keeps my mind occupied and reassures me others feel the same I guess!
Anxiety for results day keeps kicking in and making me feel sick, lovely stuff

Quick Reply

Latest