The Student Room Group

Is Applying To College Meant To Be This Stressful?

I feel as if i am in a really weird situation. For arguments sake, lets call the two colleges 1 and 2.

I initially applied to both colleges before I did my exams. College 1 was my favourite, and college 2 was a back up.

I attended both taster days in year 10 and college 1 was still my favourite. I then went to an open evening for both places in the start of year 11. College 2 then became my favourite.

Ever since I have been set on College 2. I have recently been to both induction days and then told my parents what they said at each college about the course I have applied for. (Uniformed Public Services & A Level Maths.)

College 2 is now my favourite because it will let me do the A level maths with the BTEC. College 1 wont. They will let me do the BTEC.

I feel as though my parents want me to go to College 1 however I want to go to college 2 and I feel as if by chosing college 2 i am disappointing them.

Please give me some advice,
Thank you,
Mollie.
Original post by M00ND4NC3R

I feel as though my parents want me to go to College 1 however I want to go to college 2 and I feel as if by chosing college 2 i am disappointing them.

Do you actually know this, though? If you're just guessing that your parents prefer it - you don't even know that you'll be disappointing them.

Also, if they don't actually say "we don't want you to go to College 2", then it's their own fault if they're disappointed as they didn't at any time tell you.

Is there any reason you want to do A-level Maths with BTEC uniformed services rather than the BTEC maths? I don't really see it'll make much difference - you're clearly heading down a path which won't make A-levels that advantageous over BTEC.
Reply 2
Original post by Trinculo
Do you actually know this, though? If you're just guessing that your parents prefer it - you don't even know that you'll be disappointing them.

Also, if they don't actually say "we don't want you to go to College 2", then it's their own fault if they're disappointed as they didn't at any time tell you.

Is there any reason you want to do A-level Maths with BTEC uniformed services rather than the BTEC maths? I don't really see it'll make much difference - you're clearly heading down a path which won't make A-levels that advantageous over BTEC.

When I'm older, I want to become a Customs Officer so obviously the BTEC uniformed services is a priority. This course is the equivalent to 3 A Levels. I also chose to do A Level Maths because if Customs doesn't work out, A Level Maths looks fairly decent on a CV.

No, technically my parents havent said it but I know them well enough to tell by their facial expressions and tone of voice when we speak about colleges. They make comments like "the tutor at college 1 seems nicer" and "I think you'll have more fun at college 1" etc.
Original post by M00ND4NC3R
When I'm older, I want to become a Customs Officer so obviously the BTEC uniformed services is a priority. This course is the equivalent to 3 A Levels. I also chose to do A Level Maths because if Customs doesn't work out, A Level Maths looks fairly decent on a CV.

That's fair enough - although do you think that for anything other than university, A-level Maths is going to be significantly better than BTEC Maths? I can't think of many non-university jobs or careers where A-level maths is going to be an issue. Most employers want you to be able to count and do basic maths, not calculate the area under a curve.

No, technically my parents havent said it but I know them well enough to tell by their facial expressions and tone of voice when we speak about colleges. They make comments like "the tutor at college 1 seems nicer" and "I think you'll have more fun at college 1" etc.

Firstly, is there anything to what they say? Could they be right?Secondly, I'd still not worry too much about disappointing them if they don't come out and tell you they would rather you did one thing over another. Maybe you should ask them directly if they'd be disappointed - then at least you'd have certainty.
Reply 4
Original post by Trinculo
That's fair enough - although do you think that for anything other than university, A-level Maths is going to be significantly better than BTEC Maths? I can't think of many non-university jobs or careers where A-level maths is going to be an issue. Most employers want you to be able to count and do basic maths, not calculate the area under a curve.

Firstly, is there anything to what they say? Could they be right?Secondly, I'd still not worry too much about disappointing them if they don't come out and tell you they would rather you did one thing over another. Maybe you should ask them directly if they'd be disappointed - then at least you'd have certainty.

I spoke to the college about my options with maths. I wanted to do it because it is something i am confident in and I am good at. They didn't mention BTEC maths, only the A Level, hence why I applied for that. To be honest, I didn't even know there was such thing as btec maths.

I think I will ask my dad tonight when he takes me to work about what he thinks and then, like you said, I could get a definite answer.

Quick Reply

Latest