The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sleepysnooze
so you're discriminating against universities not on the grounds of quality/prestige and standards, but on the grounds of the skin colours of their students? and who said racism was dead? you're reviving it singlehandedly apparently - very ambitious

OP is looking for "ethnic diversity". How is wanting to live in a place with people of all colours and creed racism...
Original post by ludd-sama
OP is looking for "ethnic diversity". How is wanting to live in a place with people of all colours and creed racism...

that's kind of a proxy though, isn't it - whenever people say "diversity" they pretty much just mean "non-white" - I know the tone of this message is now suddenly "omg so racist!!" because of the stigma behind defending white people (funny that), but believe me I am only commenting here because I hate two-faced racism more than I hate regular racism - at least regular racism doesn't try and disguise its true motive - this kind of "I'm not white so I'm not racist *followed by racist statements*" is so sickeningly dishonest and opportunistic
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Any uni in/near a very multiculteral area, so i'd assume london/birmingham unis are pretty ethnically diverse
funny - whenever it's convenient, you kind of people pull out the "preference" card when "racism" would have been a perfectly good substitute for other people's views

I'm just so sick of this kind of racism that's excused just because you're not white - I'm sorry but if you were white you would be *crucified* for this kind of thread and you know it. I'm really fed up of this "I can't be racist - I'm not white" arrogance

Since when was wanting ethnic diversity the same as being racist? Surely it's the very opposite of racism? Please calm down and stop attacking OP unnecessarily - it's embarrassing.
Reply 24
lol I go to exeter - it's actually not as white as you'd think

:lol: I have no idea what the racial diversity is like there, I just said Exeter because that's where I'm going lol
Reply 25
so you're discriminating against universities not on the grounds of quality/prestige and standards, but on the grounds of the skin colours of their students? and who said racism was dead? you're reviving it singlehandedly apparently - very ambitious

Relax man, I don't think someone preferring an ethnically diverse university makes them racist :smile: I don't think OP is going to choose unis solely on this anyway.
Original post by tanyapotter
Since when was wanting ethnic diversity the same as being racist? Surely it's the very opposite of racism? Please calm down and stop attacking OP unnecessarily - it's embarrassing.

because if we were talking about an institution where most people were non-white, to ask for "diversity" would be seen as either racist or somehow not needed. because diversity is only needed when white people are there - if non-white people are there, then the necessity for diversity conveniently fades away. for instance, if you went into a predominantly pakistani area of the UK and all the schools were filled with pakistani children, do you *really* think it would be PC to ask for diversity (i.e. including white kids)? I didn't think so. and I'm not embarrassed in the slightest - thanks for your false consideration though, I'm ever so appreciative
(edited 7 years ago)
To flip the question on its head [Just for balance, I'm not a student myself] but where would people say the majority of students are white, if anywhere?
Most city universities will have a high number of ethnic minorities in their attendance.

Some universities are so diverse to the extent that white British students are only a small minority though. I wouldn't call this diverse so be careful what you wish for!
^ lol op welcome to TSR
Original post by Aishadee
Hi, I'm about to choose the universities that I go to, and one of the criteria that I'm using is the diversity at each university. As a person of ethnic minority (British African), I feel as though it's important for me to find a university where I would fit in perfectly

. Which universities would you guys recommend in terms of high diversity?

https://www.hesa.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3787
Table 3

This is from 2009 but is the most recent data that's available for free.

% black students top 20
1 London South Bank (30%)
2 East London (30%)
3 London Met (27%)
4 Middlesex
5 Thames Valley (now West London) 24%
6 Greenwich (23%)
7 Brunel (20%)
8 Kingston (18%)
9 Hertfordshire (17%)
10 Bedfordshire (17%)
11 City (17%)
12 Roehampton (16%)
13 SGUL (15%)
14 Bucks New (15%)
15 Westminster (13%)
16 Uni College Birmingham (12%)
17 Goldsmiths (13%)
18 Birmingham City (12%)
19 Birkbeck (12%)
20 Ravensbourne (12%)

Of those mentioned in the thread
34 Kent (8%)
52 NTU (5%)
58 Manchester Met (4%)
72 Birmingham (3%)
78 Manchester (3%)
114 Bristol (1%)
140 Exeter (1%)
Hi, I'm about to choose the universities that I go to, and one of the criteria that I'm using is the diversity at each university. As a person of ethnic minority (British African), I feel as though it's important for me to find a university where I would fit in perfectly

Probably most of the crappy ones.

UCL/Imperial by a country mile. Though they have a lot of Asians, rather than black people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
that's kind of a proxy though, isn't it - whenever people say "diversity" they pretty much just mean "non-white" - I know the tone of this message is now suddenly "omg so racist!!" because of the stigma behind defending white people (funny that), but believe me I am only commenting here because I hate two-faced racism more than I hate regular racism - at least regular racism doesn't try and disguise its true motive - this kind of "I'm not white so I'm not racist *followed by racist statements*" is so sickeningly dishonest and opportunistic

No. You're just making an assumption. Why do you assume OP has issues with or is trying to avoid white people when the term "white" or any other colour was never mentioned? Even if OP were "racist" you're assuming it is against white people, when it could be against asian people, Caribbean people etc.
Your issue is your own paranoia, racism is a lot more than just white vs non-white, get over yourself and stop spreading negativity.

OP just wants to be in a culturally diverse university, which as mentioned by someone else is the very opposite of racism. Sort yourself out.
Original post by markova21
To flip the question on its head [Just for balance, I'm not a student myself] but where would people say the majority of students are white, if anywhere?

Top 20 whitest universities (in 2009)
1 St Mary's University College (99%)
2 Royal Agricultural College (98%)
3 Trinity University College (98%)
4 Stranmillis University College (98%)
5 University College Plymouth St Mark and St John (97%)
6 UHI Millennium Institute (97%)
7 Bishop Grosseteste University College Lincoln (96%)
8 Glyndŵr University (96%)
9 The Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama (96%)
10 York St John University (95%)
11 Writtle College (95%)
12 Aberystwyth University (95%)
13 Glasgow School of Art (94%)
14 Swansea Metropolitan University (94%)
15 University College Falmouth (94%)
16 Leeds College of Music (94%)
17 The University of Plymouth (94%)
18 Bangor University (94%)
19 The University of Worcester (94%)
20 The University of Stirling (94%)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PQ
https://www.hesa.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3787
Table 3

This is from 2009 but is the most recent data that's available for free.

% black students top 20
1 London South Bank (30%)

Why'd you mention only the % of black and white students, what if she wants to know the % of Asian students. Come on PQ... Now that's racist

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ludd-sama
No. You're just making an assumption. Why do you assume OP has issues with or is trying to avoid white people when the term "white" or any other colour was never mentioned?

did it really *need* to be mentioned in order to make the obvious assumption? seriously?

Even if OP were "racist" you're assuming it is against white people, when it could be against asian people, Caribbean people etc.

err, what country do we live in, again?
see, this is where you're making it clear that ideology trumps reality to you. you're willing to ignore the facts.

Your issue is your own paranoia, racism is a lot more than just white vs non-white, get over yourself and stop spreading negativity.

I'm sorry (well not really) but if I said "hey guys I want to go to a uni where there are fewer *insert race here* - where can I find it? it's my sole criterion for selecting a uni" then you'd call me a racist. in their case, they said "I want 'racial diversity'" but do you think that means more or less white people?

OP just wants to be in a culturally diverse university, which as mentioned by someone else is the very opposite of racism. Sort yourself out.

no, they want less white people. come off it. we all know what "diversity" means. also, I thought we should judge people by race any more? not since the wisdom of MLK
are for the record, they wanted "racial diversity" - where are you pulling this "cultural" diversity from? culture =/= race
because if we were talking about an institution where most people were non-white, to ask for "diversity" would be seen as either racist or somehow not needed. because diversity is only needed when white people are there - if non-white people are there, then the necessity for diversity conveniently fades away. for instance, if you went into a predominantly pakistani area of the UK and all the schools were filled with pakistani children, do you *really* think it would be PC to ask for diversity (i.e. including white kids)? I didn't think so. and I'm not embarrassed in the slightest - thanks for your false consideration though, I'm ever so appreciative

Again, you have some warped view, that the world is made up of white and non-white. An area filled with Pakistani people is just as "non-diverse" as an area filled with white people or an area filled with African people or an area filled with Carribean people.
You really need to just wake up and take another look at the world. People like you are a huge part of the problem.

1st of all I don't think he discriminating against universities solely on how diverse they are, otherwise that would be pretty stupid. Also I don't see how it is racist, it's not like hes saying he doesn't want to go to a uni where there many white people, he simply wants to go to one where there is a diverse ethnic group, so he doesn't receive racism!

if I chose to go to a uni because there were few black people, would you call me a racist?

Well that is racist, not because its a white person saying it, but because your discriminating against another race. However, what your saying s completely different to what he's saying, he simply wants to go to a diverse uni.

Also how can you blame him for factoring in diversity? Would you want to go to a place, where your the only black/white person there, so you feel left out?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mercuryman
Why'd you mention only the % of black students, what if she wants to know the % of Asian students. Come on PQ... Now that's racist

Spoiler

Because OP stated " I just want to go to a university where I'm not one of the only Africans "

So listing % of BME isn't going top answer that question - there's a lot of universities where the proportion of BME students is high but they have very low numbers of black students.

But for the record

Top 20 BME %
1 The University of Buckingham (77%)
2 The School of Pharmacy(#7) (76%)
3 The University of East London (63%)
4 Queen Mary and Westfield College(#7) (62%)
5 Brunel University (60%)
6 The City University (59%)
7 London South Bank University (57%)
8 Aston University (55%)
9 London Metropolitan University (55%)
10 Middlesex University (55%)
11 The University of Westminster (54%)
12 The University of Bradford (54%)
13 St George's Hospital Medical School(#7) (53%)
14 Kingston University (52%)
15 Thames Valley University (51%)
16 The School of Oriental and African Studies(#7) (50%)
17 London Business School(#7) (48%)
18 The University of Greenwich (47%)
19 University of Hertfordshire (45%)
20 Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine (44%)

Latest