The Student Room Group

How attractive is a man who speaks more than one language?

I speak fluent French, English, and Spanish, with a good knowledge of basic Italian, Dutch, and Portuguese. (I can understand the latter 3 more than I can talk, but I'm still OK at them).

I have absolutely no English accent when I speak Spanish or French.

Scroll to see replies

Niiiiice. I'm thinking a July wedding - does that suit you?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I speak fluent French, English, and Spanish, with a good knowledge of basic Italian, Dutch, and Portuguese. (I can understand the latter 3 more than I can talk, but I'm still OK at them).

That is an oxymoron :smile:

It depends what the languages are. French is very common. I personally speak 2 languages at the level of an average native speaker and know a couple of others at conversational but let's face it - it's either C1 or you can't really count it.
Reply 3
Original post by 1010marina
Niiiiice. I'm thinking a July wedding - does that suit you?

End of August please, don't think I could stand the full strength of summer's sun. End of August will be cooler, in both senses of the term.
Reply 4
Original post by Helg
That is an oxymoron :smile:

It depends what the languages are. French is very common. I personally speak 2 languages at the level of an average native speaker and know a couple of others at conversational but let's face it - it's either C1 or you can't really count it.

How is it an oxymoron.

I have good knowledge of the basics of Italian, portugese and dutch lol
Reply 5
not that attractive
Reply 6
How is it an oxymoron.

I have good knowledge of the basics of Italian, portugese and dutch lol

It doesn't sound right, 'good knowledge of the basic' you have written previously.
If you're handsome and accomplished it will add to your backstory as a person, it won't actually make you hot though.
Girls just care about looks

Spoiler

Reply 9
Original post by surina16
muy guapo

très beau

Spoiler

Gracias waochita rica :wink:

Merci ma belle!
Reply 10
Less so if he brags about it I imagine...
(not that you would do so in real life necessarily, just saying)

In the scheme of things expect there are a lot of other importnat factors including looks and personality that are more significant and rank much higher than the ability to speak a number of languages. Its a plus ofc, but dont oversell it.
Reply 12
Knowledge and intelligence is attractive so definitely an asset. This said its still your looks and personality that will be needed to score initially. Guess it opens up the possibility to chat up some babes in their native language too.
Gracias waochita rica :wink:

Merci ma belle!

¿qué? :confused::colondollar:
Original post by surina16
¿qué? :confused::colondollar:

Una palabra de Chile :smile:

Significa una chica bonita.
I don't really see the point in learning other languages. I mean, Mandarin and Spanish are pretty useful to learn, but other than that, I don't see the point in learning languages like Italian, Dutch, or German, unless you're going to live in those countries or became a professional translator.
Original post by Lord Gaben
I don't really see the point in learning other languages. I mean, Mandarin and Spanish are pretty useful to learn, but other than that, I don't see the point in learning languages like Italian, Dutch, or German, unless you're going to live in those countries or became a professional translator.

Well languages open doors to job opportunities, don't they? Especially in headhunting.

Languages also help with travelling.

No offence, but claiming there's no point to learning languages is rather ignorant.
Well languages open doors to job opportunities, don't they? Especially in headhunting.

Languages also help with travelling.

No offence, but claiming there's no point to learning languages is rather ignorant.

It's not ignorant, it's just my personal opinion. If I wanted to work in China, or Latin America, or any other foreign country then I would learn the local language. But, most people don't need to learn other languages for work, particularly if they work in a country like the UK.
Well I know 5 languages and can read a different language but I'd say I'm a solid 3 on a good day :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's quite attractive,I love learning languages so it will mean we have something in common

Quick Reply

Latest