(Posting From My Mothers Account)
Anything that I should buy?
Any tips on how to prepare and do well?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tiagilbert17

Buy revision guides (cgp) and make revision resources throughout the year like flashcards and mindmaps. Then you don't have to make them later on in the year and you can refer back to them. Keep on track with your coursework.
Original post by drapplepilot
Buy revision guides (cgp) and make revision resources throughout the year like flashcards and mindmaps. Then you don't have to make them later on in the year and you can refer back to them. Keep on track with your coursework.

Reply 3
forget about your mates
Don't do anything stupid. Balance learning with recreation.
Reply 5
Buy CGP Exam Practice Workbooks so you can practice exam questions.
Create revision resources like flashcards and mind maps
Do practice papers in exam conditions so you can manage your time properly in an exam
Finish any coursework as soon as you can, give to your teacher to mark so you can improve and get the highest marks
Make a revision timetable
Get minimum 8 hours of sleep
Don't be lazy

Do all of the above and you'll be guaranteed A*s
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
If you have any coursework to do, just finish it quickly. Don't leave it until the last minute.

There's so need to start revising so early on. If you start in September/October you'll probably burn out by January/February and won't want to revise when it actually matters.

If you don't know what works for you best, try out different revision methods early on.

Although mocks aren't that important, do try to revise for them (even if it's only a little bit) so you can get an idea of what the real thing will be like.

Even with all the exams, try and enjoy Year 11. It'll be over before you know it.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by sadixx
forget about your mates

Wouldn't say that, just don't let them take up too much of your time, if that time needs to be used for work or revision closer to the exams.
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
Wouldn't say that, just don't let them take up too much of your time, if that time needs to be used for work or revision closer to the exams.

😂😂 i was exaggerating a lil
Original post by sadixx
😂😂 i was exaggerating a lil

I took it seriously.

Spoiler

Reply 10
Original post by ColossalAtom
I took it seriously.

Spoiler

i took that comment seriously until i saw the spoiler ha ha
Reply 11

Cgp revision guides for science. Try and get a revision guide for every subject ,(cgp is only necessary for science in my opinion), but for maths forget about this, just a practice book and loads of past papers will be fantastic.

Now in terms of preparation, what I did was I revised as I went along. So as soon as I learnt something new, I would go home, make notes and make sure I fully understood what was happening. I started revising fully for my december mocks at the start of november, took a break for christmas up to february half term, and from then gradually picked up the pace until the exams. (When i say break, i mean from solid revision. I still made revision notes on new topics etc., I just didn't do past papers and longer periods etc.)

Past papers are a must. Do as many as you can (preferably all)!

If you are interested,ypu can hsve a look at my gyg blog where I share all my revision in year 11: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3895377
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't become complacent! Always keep up to date with homework. If you want a specific career, start early with work experience/ volunteering related to that career.
Reply 13
Honestly as long as you listen in class (unlike me for the whole of year 10 and year 11) you should be fine. Stay on top of notes and start revising a couple weeks before exams. GCSEs aren't as difficult as you may be expecting so don't overdo it either.
Personally I found NOT revising for my mocks helped me significantly. As silly as it sounds, when I got my mock results and they weren't what I wanted/expected, it really inspired me to do well in the real thing.
I'd also suggest to start revising after the mocks are over so about January-March time.
Also very highly recommend to get any sort of D&T (design and technology) coursework done to the best standard you can as soon as you get it, as then it gives plenty of time for the teacher to go over it with you. This could really apply to any subject which contains coursework.
Reply 15

Have a look at past papers, so you know what you'll be expected to do in Year 11.
Reply 16
1) Make notes by using your resources and ensure that they're consise!
2) Test your knowledge with past papers/specimen papers (check your spec)
3) GAP ANALYSIS - Going through weaker topics.

If you need any help feel free to PM me :smile: .
Reply 17
For me, year 11 was a really fun year

Teachers care about you more, they want you to do well so help whether they can. Exam/study leave was great, although nerve wracking at times. As soon as you get the first few exams out of the way, it's so chill. Also, year 11 summer was the best - 10 long weeks of good bant.

As for advice:

1) Revise for your mocks/ any end of topic tests. And write notes for these exams too! The more you revise now, the more you understand key concepts etc, the less you have to learn come Easter.

2) Use Memrise for learning vocabulary/important facts/definitions/equations etc. I used it predominately for my Latin, French and History exams and enabled me to get near to 100% in these subjects. I definitely, without a doubt, would not have been able to achieve such a high mark if I hadn't used this website. I used to spend maybe 1/2 hours at a time just going over and over these facts/vocab, again and again and again. I'm very competitive and was encouraged to revise by the way the website gives you points for every right answer you get. I think I'm on over 1.5 million points now or something stupid seeing as you get 45 points for every correct answer. You can 'follow' friends on the website and there is a leader board too so you can try and beat your friends' scores lol.

3) Treat yourself! Don't think you have to work 5+ hours a day every single day of Easter hols/study leave. Don't do this. You will get burn out and will be completely emotionally and academically exhausted by the end of exams. If you want to have a day off, then have a day off. Seriously. I never revised for more than 4/5 hours a day for 6 days a week - at the very maximum

If I think of anything else I will post it

Best of luck for next year, it will be fine and sixth form is super snazzy so look forward to that.
Original post by kennethdcharles
Cgp revision guides for science. Try and get a revision guide for every subject ,(cgp is only necessary for science in my opinion), but for maths forget about this, just a practice book and loads of past papers will be fantastic.

Now in terms of preparation, what I did was I revised as I went along. So as soon as I learnt something new, I would go home, make notes and make sure I fully understood what was happening. I started revising fully for my december mocks at the start of november, took a break for christmas up to february half term, and from then gradually picked up the pace until the exams. (When i say break, i mean from solid revision. I still made revision notes on new topics etc., I just didn't do past papers and longer periods etc.)

Past papers are a must. Do as many as you can (preferably all)!

If you are interested,ypu can hsve a look at my gyg blog where I share all my revision in year 11: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3895377

Thank You that is very helpful
Original post by Orlanda
For me, year 11 was a really fun year

Teachers care about you more, they want you to do well so help whether they can. Exam/study leave was great, although nerve wracking at times. As soon as you get the first few exams out of the way, it's so chill. Also, year 11 summer was the best - 10 long weeks of good bant.

As for advice:

1) Revise for your mocks/ any end of topic tests. And write notes for these exams too! The more you revise now, the more you understand key concepts etc, the less you have to learn come Easter.

2) Use Memrise for learning vocabulary/important facts/definitions/equations etc. I used it predominately for my Latin, French and History exams and enabled me to get near to 100% in these subjects. I definitely, without a doubt, would not have been able to achieve such a high mark if I hadn't used this website. I used to spend maybe 1/2 hours at a time just going over and over these facts/vocab, again and again and again. I'm very competitive and was encouraged to revise by the way the website gives you points for every right answer you get. I think I'm on over 1.5 million points now or something stupid seeing as you get 45 points for every correct answer. You can 'follow' friends on the website and there is a leader board too so you can try and beat your friends' scores lol.

3) Treat yourself! Don't think you have to work 5+ hours a day every single day of Easter hols/study leave. Don't do this. You will get burn out and will be completely emotionally and academically exhausted by the end of exams. If you want to have a day off, then have a day off. Seriously. I never revised for more than 4/5 hours a day for 6 days a week - at the very maximum

If I think of anything else I will post it

Best of luck for next year, it will be fine and sixth form is super snazzy so look forward to that.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest