The Student Room Group

4 A levels or 3 A levels?

Would it be a good idea to take 4 a levels: maths, further maths, physics and economics or take 3 a levels: maths, further maths and physics if I want to go to oxbridge and study either compSci or Economics?

Also what is the workload like doing 4 instead of 3, and plus those a levels on it's self won't be easy.

Btw this is for the new modular a levels
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by theBranicAc
Would it be a good idea to take 4 a levels: maths, further maths, physics and economics or take 3 a levels: maths, further maths physics if I want to go to oxbridge and study either compSci or Economics?

Also what is the workload like doing 4 instead of 3, and plus those a levels on it's self won't be easy

You could always start with 4 and see how you get on.
Reply 2
Original post by Emma:-)
You could always start with 4 and see how you get on.

yeah but in the new a levels, you would't expected to do that
Reply 3
Would it be a good idea to take 4 a levels: maths, further maths, physics and economics or take 3 a levels: maths, further maths physics if I want to go to oxbridge and study either compSci or Economics?

Also what is the workload like doing 4 instead of 3, and plus those a levels on it's self won't be easy.

Btw this is for the new modular a levels

Ayy we seem to have the exact same dilemma! Please, may I as, what sixh forms are you considering?
Reply 4
Original post by kennethdcharles
Ayy we seem to have the exact same dilemma! Please, may I as, what sixh forms are you considering?

A 6th for near me, south-east of england
yeah but in the new a levels, you would't expected to do that

You can always drop one after the first few weeks if you think its too much.

Also- (i know my school did this)- is there the possibility of doing both maths and further maths together so that it takes one subjects worth of lessons. My school offered that- so that they did all of maths in year 12 and all of further maths in year 13.
Reply 6
A 6th for near me, south-east of england

Is it in Lambeth by any chance?
Reply 7

Nope, I've never heard of that 6th form or county/placr
Original post by Emma:-)
You can always drop one after the first few weeks if you think its too much.

Also- (i know my school did this)- is there the possibility of doing both maths and further maths together so that it takes one subjects worth of lessons. My school offered that- so that they did all of maths in year 12 and all of further maths in year 13.

I don't understand how this makes it 1 lesson worth of material instead of 2, every day.

Because it's still 12 modules. You just do 6 maths in Y12 and 6 FM in Y13
The sixth form I am going to is making me try out 5. At first I was hesitant but they reassured me that I will be able to drop 1-2 subjects if I am not producing the grades I want and I am finding it too difficult after 2-3 months.
I am also doing maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics. Tbh I see maths and further maths as 1 subject because I love maths and find it very easy, I have also started teaching myself C1 and C2. So I'm basically imagining that I am doing 4 subjects. If you feel the same way then I think you'll be fine with 4. However, it's ur decision and 4 subjects is not necessary.
Do you think you can handle the workload?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry and physics are very Mathsy! Biology is also quite analytical. If you're good at maths it should be no problem unless the amount of work is just too much! Good luck you should be fine if you have the drive.
I started doing 4 this year, and dropped one in March, it all depends on what you think you can handle.
Original post by JessThomas6
I started doing 4 this year, and dropped one in March, it all depends on what you think you can handle.

What did you do ?

KCLMS?
Reply 14
Original post by M141
KCLMS?

Yeah! Are you going there?
Some unis don't count Maths and Further Maths as 2 separate A Levels, and will only accept Further Maths as a 4th A Level.
Mate, I did 6 subjects worth this year for year 13 (5 subjects but did full AS and A2 of a subject in this year alone) and I was fine - well obviously no results yet, but I can safely say that I would not have gotten better grades in anything if I had taken less subjects - 3 subjects like most. So yeah...
Original post by Ano9901whichone
Mate, I did 6 subjects worth this year for year 13 (5 subjects but did full AS and A2 of a subject in this year alone) and I was fine - well obviously no results yet, but I can safely say that I would not have gotten better grades in anything if I had taken less subjects - 3 subjects like most. So yeah...

Keep us notified on what you get :smile: not long now until u find out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonwinner
Some unis don't count Maths and Further Maths as 2 separate A Levels, and will only accept Further Maths as a 4th A Level.

which ones?
Original post by Student403
which ones?

Economics at LSE is the one I know of. There may be others.

Quick Reply

Latest