The Student Room Group

What do you call your grandparents?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Leviathan1741
Mum's mum: Grandma, mum's dad: Bampa (passed away), dad's mum: Nanny (passed away), dad's dad: Grandad :smile:

how cuuuute, Bampa :h:
Original post by Allie4
how cuuuute, Bampa :h:

One of my oldest cousins called him that when they were little, and it stuck :h:
Dead, Absent, Absent, Never Met :h:
Paternal:
Grandparents: Grandad Zeus (name of his dog when I was little so I could distinguish between my grandads) & Nan.

Great Grandparents: Both of my paternal great grandfathers died before I was born but; dad's dad's mum: Nan Francis and dad's mum's mum was Nan Bibby. Both being their surnames.

Maternal: Grandad Tess (again name of dog) and Granny (sometimes Granny Flower - after one of the meerkats on meerkat manor)

Great Grandparents: My mum's dad's mum died when I was 3 and I don't remember what I called her. My mum's dad's dad was Bumpa, mum's mum's mum was Granny Pat and my mum's mum's dad I have never met, sadly, as my gran didn't get on with him and didn't see him often as he didn't marry Granny Pat; but he's Freddie Smith (middlename is Frederick but that's what he is known by). My gran's stepdad is known as Grumpy Bunce (no idea why).

Being a family historian it's nice to see these names all in front of me even though I extended the topic to include great grandparents! :biggrin:

Reading some of the posts on this thread I guess I am lucky to have a lot of these people still alive.
I'm so incredibly jealous of anyone with grandparents. Mine were all dead long before I was even born.
Reply 25
Original post by clarkey500
Paternal:
Grandparents: Grandad Zeus (name of his dog when I was little so I could distinguish between my grandads) & Nan.

Great Grandparents: Both of my paternal great grandfathers died before I was born but; dad's dad's mum: Nan Francis and dad's mum's mum was Nan Bibby. Both being their surnames.

Maternal: Grandad Tess (again name of dog) and Granny (sometimes Granny Flower - after one of the meerkats on meerkat manor)

Great Grandparents: My mum's dad's mum died when I was 3 and I don't remember what I called her. My mum's dad's dad was Bumpa, mum's mum's mum was Granny Pat and my mum's mum's dad I have never met, sadly, as my gran didn't get on with him and didn't see him often as he didn't marry Granny Pat; but he's Freddie Smith (middlename is Frederick but that's what he is known by). My gran's stepdad is known as Grumpy Bunce (no idea why).

Being a family historian it's nice to see these names all in front of me even though I extended the topic to include great grandparents! :biggrin:

Reading some of the posts on this thread I guess I am lucky to have a lot of these people still alive.

I forgot to mention what I called my great grandparents when they were still alive. I only ever met two of my great grandparents and those were both my great grans. I just called them my Granny Martin and Granny Cuthbert.

I agree, this thread makes me even more grateful for my grandparents. They are my life. My papa is on the transplant list and his health is in the balance every day so I appreciate every moment I have with him and my Gran :h: I dread the day I lose either of them. They raised me more than my parents did so I see them as my parents as well as grandparents :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
Do you call them grandma and grandpa? Grandmother and grandfather? Gran and papa? etc

Just thought I'd ask as many people on TSR seem to think when I talk about my papa that I mean my dad instead of grandfather :colondollar: doesn't bother me as I see him as my dad anyway since my gran and papa raised me but it seems quite uncommon to call your grandpa, papa? I don't know my dad's family so my mum's parents are my only grandparents. In text I write gran and papa but in person I say gran and pappy and then for mum its 'maw'. Must be a Scots thing :colondollar:

Don't currently have any, but when I did I called them Granny and Grandpa - on both sides of my family.
Reply 27
Iye'ebo and ira'ebo
Literally translates to dad of the light skinned boy and mum of the light skinned boy.
(my uncle is VERY light skinned for a black person)
Only maternal grandparents are alive and I call my grandma 'nanu' and grandad 'nana'
Reply 29
I'm quite surprised no one on here says 'papa' for grandfather. I always thought that was a common thing to do :colondollar:
Sadly, all of my grandparents are deceased. :frown:

My dad's dad passed away when my dad was young but we have at least one photo of him (with my dad's mum) and I refer to him as Dada Abbu (roughly translates to "paternal grandfather"). :smile: He certainly was handsome! As for my dad's mum, I don't think we had ever met. I refer to her as Dado ("paternal grandmother", I guess).

My mum's dad passed away many years ago. :frown: I was quite fond of him. :smile: He was quite handsome as well! I called him Abbu Jee (a respectful way to say "father") because my mum called him that and I guess I heard it and it stuck. My siblings called him Nana Abbu ("maternal grandfather"). My mum's mum passed away last year. I called her Nano ("maternal grandmother"). She was very sweet and her smile could light up the room! :smile:

Oh dear, now I'm missing my grandparents more. Love your grandparents while they're still alive, folks. You could learn a thing or two from them and their lives.

[What I've been told about my grandparents is why I'm interested in my family's history. I hope to find out more about my ancestors.]

Posted from TSR Mobile
On both sides, they were/are Grandma and Grandad, even though I had a step-grandfather on my Dad's side (his biological father was also Grandad, but I never had any contact with him since he estranged himself from the family and became a Jehovah's Witness). My father's biological mother and father have both died recently, but the others are still around.

My partner calls his grandmother on his mother's side Dottie, which I rather like. As she'd had his mother when she was very young, by the time when he was born, she didn't feel old enough to be called "grandma", but her and his grandfather owned a load of Dalmatians, hence Dottie. I can't even think of calling her anything else myself, so I'm lucky that she's given me the same privilege!
I'm quite surprised no one on here says 'papa' for grandfather. I always thought that was a common thing to do :colondollar:

I never had grandparents :s-smilie:
Never met them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FantasticMsFox
Sadly, all of my grandparents are deceased. :frown:

My dad's dad passed away when my dad was young but we have at least one photo of him (with my dad's mum) and I refer to him as Dada Abbu (roughly translates to "paternal grandfather":wink:. :smile: He certainly was handsome! As for my dad's mum, I don't think we had ever met. I refer to her as Dado ("paternal grandmother", I guess).

My mum's dad passed away many years ago. :frown: I was quite fond of him. :smile: He was quite handsome as well! I called him Abbu Jee (a respectful way to say "father":wink: because my mum called him that and I guess I heard it and it stuck. My siblings called him Nana Abbu ("maternal grandfather":wink:. My mum's mum passed away last year. I called her Nano ("maternal grandmother":wink:. She was very sweet and her smile could light up the room! :smile:

Oh dear, now I'm missing my grandparents more. Love your grandparents while they're still alive, folks. You could learn a thing or two from them and their lives.

[What I've been told about my grandparents is why I'm interested in my family's history. I hope to find out more about my ancestors.]

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to hear about your grandparents.

But as a family historian too I completely agree with you get to know them while they're alive as you can learn so much! The further back you go can help you understand your family's history so well and it's really fascinating what you can find out!

It's nice to talk to a young family historian as young family historians are so rare but can find out more now about the daily lives of ancestors and stories which will otherwise be lost for ever if we wait too long before starting.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by clonedmemories
On both sides, they were/are Grandma and Grandad, even though I had a step-grandfather on my Dad's side (his biological father was also Grandad, but I never had any contact with him since he estranged himself from the family and became a Jehovah's Witness). My father's biological mother and father have both died recently, but the others are still around.

My partner calls his grandmother on his mother's side Dottie, which I rather like. As she'd had his mother when she was very young, by the time when he was born, she didn't feel old enough to be called "grandma", but her and his grandfather owned a load of Dalmatians, hence Dottie. I can't even think of calling her anything else myself, so I'm lucky that she's given me the same privilege!

Awww Dottie is such a cute and lovely name :h: really original too :smile:
Awww Dottie is such a cute and lovely name :h: really original too :smile:

It suits her perfectly. Her actual name is Patricia, which doesn't suit her in the slightest! This is the woman who's 70 years old and still going out to rock concerts and charming men on the weekends (her husband passed away 7 years ago now).
i cant talk to mine
Original post by Rum Ham
Do you call them grandma and grandpa? Grandmother and grandfather? Gran and papa? etc

Just thought I'd ask as many people on TSR seem to think when I talk about my papa that I mean my dad instead of grandfather :colondollar: doesn't bother me as I see him as my dad anyway since my gran and papa raised me but it seems quite uncommon to call your grandpa, papa? I don't know my dad's family so my mum's parents are my only grandparents. In text I write gran and papa but in person I say gran and pappy and then for mum its 'maw'. Must be a Scots thing :colondollar:

Nan & Grandad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending