The Student Room Group

Should I get a part time job?

I'm starting A levels in September and I was wondering if getting a part time job (weekends, evenings, no more than 15 hours per week) will affect my school work. I'm doing english lit, history, economics and government and politics and I'm aiming for a level grades good enough for oxbridge. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
If you get mostly C's or below at GCSE it might be in your best interests to just focus on A levels and no job

If you got mostly B's to A's at GCSE you can get a job and still make the better grades.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
If you get mostly C's or below at GCSE it might be in your best interests to just focus on A levels and no job

If you got mostly B's to A's at GCSE you can get a job and still make the better grades.

I'm predicted 9 a*s and have already achieved one a* but I'm just concerned that if I get a job I might still get good grades but not the best I possibly could.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophiegraceb
I'm starting A levels in September and I was wondering if getting a part time job (weekends, evenings, no more than 15 hours per week) will affect my school work. I'm doing english lit, history, economics and government and politics and I'm aiming for a level grades good enough for oxbridge. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Depends what your money situation is and what type of job. Saturday job I think you cna cope with. If you are really going to work very hard, then I would just 1--% focus on studies, but soemtimes a change and a bit of money can also be positive.
Toy could alwats try and if its too much then resign.
I'm predicted 9 a*s and have already achieved one a* but I'm just concerned that if I get a job I might still get good grades but not the best I possibly could.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well go to 6th form and see how you go for the first few months and if all is going well locate a suitable job.

If the job gets in the way a lot and just explain to the employer it is effecting your education and quit it otherwise keep it.
In my opinion you should never get a job if you don't have to, especially when you have other stuff to do.
Original post by 999tigger
Depends what your money situation is and what type of job. Saturday job I think you cna cope with. If you are really going to work very hard, then I would just 1--% focus on studies, but soemtimes a change and a bit of money can also be positive.
Toy could alwats try and if its too much then resign.

Job would be retail or waitressing. Money is ok (like I really don't need one) but my parents want me to get a job because they don't want to have to give me money for stuff (even though they easily can)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Job would be retail or waitressing. Money is ok (like I really don't need one) but my parents want me to get a job because they don't want to have to give me money for stuff (even though they easily can)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just make an agreement with them. het a job , but if it interferes in studies then you will quit. the experience is good for your cv and if you need a job at uni.
I think you should get a job whilst you study :smile:

If you're getting at A*s at GCSE then taking some time out to work won't affect you all that much.

I had a job whilst I was doing A levels and I actually found it nice to take some time out every week to do mindless tasks (I was on the tills in Co-Op). It gives your brain a little rest :smile:
you can easily work over your A levels and maintain good grades, I've heard unis like oxbridge like to see you doing other stuff as it shows you don't need to work 24/7 to get good grades + demonstrates good time management

I would think about doing somewhere around 8 -12 hours a week, that's two short shifts or one long one which is easily managed, you still get most of your weekend, as long as you're good at time management you can easily organise your work to still get it all done

Quick Reply

Latest