The Student Room Group

Can you change the past?

Might seem like a simple, silly question, but I wondered what people make of it when you really stop to think about it.

Can you change the past?

Scroll to see replies

You can't change the events that happened in the past, but I guess you can say you can change what's happened, by taking an action to change it... For example, me buying something yesterday will always have happened, and I'd have that item in the future. However, I can return that item, so that it's as if it didn't happen.. If that makes sense at all... That is assuming there would be negligible cost to taking any specific action though, because as soon as there's a cost, then obviously, by making that action to change what happened, gives another effect which might not necessarily be irrelevant. Not sure if that makes any sense.
Yes and No. Yes, if the actions in the past are retractable. Say doing a mistake in the past which can be repaired, as it had no bad consequences in the future. No, if it isn't retractable. So in terms of doing mistakes, they are not to be repaired. Just to name an example.

Things which were inevitable in the past cannot be changed in the future anyway, say a bad accident which led to a loss of a part of a body. Don't forget to mention the death, that is not changeable if it happened once.
Reply 3
If you step on a banana + fall soon afterwards then your foot will always have that banana imprint. No matter how much you try + wash it off, it will always be there. Not everyone will see it bc obvs it's on your foot, but you will see it + those who are close to you will definitely see or know about it too. Sometimes you might smell it or hear it. The squelching banana sound just following you down the halls, in the malls, when you're taking calls etceraaa. You could use fairy liquid, some special nivea stuff, daz, persil. Heck, you could even go to a spa or laser removal clinic to try and remove that damn banana imprint but I can assure you it isn't going anywhere. The only way you could ever get rid of it is if you meet the Doctor + travel in time but you are never going to meet the Doctor bc he doesn't exist + you don't like hospitals. So you + that imprint will both have to try your best to be buddies and it takes time, but once you realise how good of a companion your imprint is, you'll wonder why you ever tried to alter the future of a beautiful friendship.
Original post by Anon_98
If you step on a banana + fall soon afterwards then your foot will always have that banana imprint. No matter how much you try + wash it off, it will always be there. Not everyone will see it bc obvs it's on your foot, but you will see it + those who are close to you will definitely see or know about it too. Sometimes you might smell it or hear it. The squelching banana sound just following you down the halls, in the malls, when you're taking calls etceraaa. You could use fairy liquid, some special nivea stuff, daz, persil. Heck, you could even go to a spa or laser removal clinic to try and remove that damn banana imprint but I can assure you it isn't going anywhere. The only way you could ever get rid of it is if you meet the Doctor + travel in time but you are never going to meet the Doctor bc he doesn't exist + you don't like hospitals. So you + that imprint will both have to try your best to be buddies and it takes time, but once you realise how good of a companion your imprint is, you'll wonder why you ever tried to alter the future of a beautiful friendship.

As it's 8am I'm pretty sure I'm not high, but am I seriously reading this right!? A banana imprint on your foot...!!!????
Reply 5
You can change the past, but only if it hasn't happened yet.
Reply 6
Original post by mobbsy91
As it's 8am I'm pretty sure I'm not high, but am I seriously reading this right!? A banana imprint on your foot...!!!????

Why would my post make you question whether you are intoxicated?

Rude.

Fine.

Engraved orange?

Strawberry stain?

It's literally the same thing tho.- If you don't like bananas just say it.

No, it's okay we're listening.

I am listening.

Repeat after me:

I

don't

I DON'T LIKE BANANAS.

See, that wasn't so hard.

Now if you re-read my response to this thread, you'll no longer be so seemingly bewildered.
Original post by Anon_98
Why would my post make you question whether you are intoxicated?

Rude.

Fine.

Engraved orange?

Strawberry stain?

It's literally the same thing tho.- If you don't like bananas just say it.

No, it's okay we're listening.

I am listening.

Repeat after me:

I

don't

I DON'T LIKE BANANAS.

See, that wasn't so hard.

Now if you re-read my response to this thread, you'll no longer be so seemingly bewildered.
weve had a number of drinks so this post now makes sense
Reply 8
I know that I shouldn't be but I'm annoyed.

Why have I been given a card when I haven't broken any rules?

And I'm asking that you please read this before you delete it too bc it's ridiculous + irritating.

If I recall correctly, I literally just referred to 'mobbsy91' as Charles.

His name is not Charles so it's not like I disclosed any private information.

Lmao.

Clearly whoever deleted it has never come across a Charles before.

Let me inform you of the significance:

They're annoying. :dunce:

Yet his post which insinuates that I'm talking nonsense about something which I was completely serious about still remains.

What's actually more offensive?

Calling someone Charles when their name isn't even fricking Charles or saying that someone is only understandable if you're drunk or high? Bc I find the latter quite insulting.
Use a time-turner
No but you can improve/change the future ☺️
Go watch a Fay Dowker video on granular time, if like me, you find this a very reasonable possibility then we cannot change the past or the future.
well you can't change your past but with the help of past you can try to make your future better i guess :K:
Original post by Captain Jack
Might seem like a simple, silly question, but I wondered what people make of it when you really stop to think about it.

Can you change the past?

quick someone invent a time machine

Spoiler

Original post by AppleB
Use a time-turner

:awesome:

Original post by fatima1998
well you can't change your past but with the help of past you can try to make your future better i guess :K:

:yy:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
No but you can improve/change the future ☺️

If the doings in the past are reversible, so it is possible to improve indeed. The same goes quite for changing. There were named some examples where it is impossible.

If it is so easy to create a time machine, I would have done it yet. :redface:
What if you re-write history and tell people the past was different to the actual events?
The past can be changed no more than the future can.
What if you re-write history and tell people the past was different to the actual events?

Could it be that you are thinking about a time machine?

I guess it is hard to believe someone who has re-writes the history by changing certain things in the past to make future completely different.

For instance: someone goes back to the past to kill Hitler before he came to power in 1933. Germany would probably have not experienced the nazi period with the cruelity in it. If this person would tell me that Germany has caused a holocaust in reality, I can't believe it. No one can't believe it unless it really happens. Such a crime against humanity is just unbelievable, if it comes not true to tell it many generations after that.*
Original post by Farm_Ecology
The past can be changed no more than the future can.

*gasp*

Original post by Kallisto
Could it be that you are thinking about a time machine?

I guess it is hard to believe someone who has re-writes the history by changing certain things in the past to make future completely different.

For instance: someone goes back to the past to kill Hitler before he came to power in 1933. Germany would probably have not experienced the nazi period with the cruelity in it. If this person would tell me that Germany has caused a holocaust in reality, I can't believe it. No one can't believe it unless it really happens. Such a crime against humanity is just unbelievable, if it comes not true to tell it many generations after that.*

Maybe, although I'm not entirely sure how a time machine would really work. I guess it would need to be able to reverse energy.
*gasp*

Maybe, although I'm not entirely sure how a time machine would really work. I guess it would need to be able to reverse energy.

It's rather simple really. I'll give you a ride in the Tardis.

Quick Reply