The Student Room Group

Want to campaign for the 16 year old vote?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChrisN
== We believe 16 and 17 year olds deserve to be heard in elections. If you agree and would like to get involved in researching our approach and then campaigning for change, please get in touch==

Having worked at The Student Room for 10 years, and as a College Governor at Brighton and Hove Sixth Form College, I've been overwhelmed by the number of highly engaged young students having really well informed debates on key political issues. This is sometimes more than can be said for much of the adult population.

As you turn 16 and 17 you gain the rights to get married, have children, join the army, drive, fly planes, as well as the to go to adult prison. As young people, you will also have to live with the consequences of political decisions for longer than any of the rest of us. To me it feels like a relic from the past that your voice is excluded from important political decisions. You have a right for your opinions to be listened to at the highest levels, and on the most important issues.

During the EU referendum our polls showed that 82% of 16 and 17 year olds wanted to Remain, so clearly your views were not well represented by the general voting population. Interestingly though, 16 and 17 year olds polled similarly to 18-24 year olds - 75% of whom voted Remain (YouGov after the vote), so broadly in line with your closest peers.

Scotland lowered the voting age to 16 in 2014 for the independence vote, and are now extending it for all elections. With the current sweeping political change in the UK we feel that the time is right to follow their lead, and to push to get the UK parliament to adopt this progressive position.

So with that in mind, we would like to identify driven members of the TSR community who would like to get involved in researching, refining our position, and campaigning for this change, with the support of TSR to assist with political contacts, public relations and lobbying. We will consider whether to go this alone, or to join up with other organisations.

As TSR is used by 75% of the 16-24 population, and gets 8.5 million visits to our websites each month, we are often approached, and listened to, by the political establishment as well as other media, and we feel it is right to use this position to help drive through a change we feel so passionately about.

If this is a cause that you feel strongly that you would like to help with, then post your interest in here, and we will get a private forum set-up to start discussing the best route forwards.

We want to do our bit to ensure your voice is heard. We hope you do too, and will join us in making this happen.

We understand their will be differences of opinion on this subject, and that's fine too.

Thanks

Chris

Absolutely for this
Have already signed numerous petitions for this. Pity our current government are ignoring our voices just so there views can rule.
The reality is the reason our government did not let 16 year olds and up vote and the reason they continue to not allow us to have a say is because it would hold them back from doing what they want.
If 16+ year olds had been able to vote in the referendum we would still be in the EU. And whilst David Cameron may have been pro remain, the majority of the conservative party were not and therefore they chose to simply ignore our voices so that they would have a better chance of winning.
Can anyone here really say that they don't believe 16+ would be given more of a voice if the majority of them were pro-leave.
Even now, on talk shows about the referendum, the youth continue to be ignored when it is us being affected most.
Scotland recognised their youth deserved a say. Why don't England?
Original post by Alextaylor6
too many idiots our age sorry m8

Do you have actual evidence as to there being more 'idiots' aged 16-18 than 18-20?
And anyway who do you classify as an 'idiot".
Is it someone who simply has different views from you?
Original post by issy.roberts
Do you have actual evidence as to there being more 'idiots' aged 16-18 than 18-20?

Simple, 16-18 year olds have next to little real life experience. The more experience one gains, the less of an idiot they are likely to be.
Original post by The_Opinion
Simple, 16-18 year olds have next to little real life experience. The more experience one gains, the less of an idiot they are likely to be.

You know, I see your point but everybody has less life experience than someone
else.
A 18 year old has less life experience than a 90 year old yet they still get a say, even though they are more 'likely to be an idiot'.
And its not only years that give you life experience.
Scotland recognised their youth deserved a say. Why don't England?

You do realise that if the YESNP thought for a nano second that 16-17 YOs would vote "Naw" they would not have been included.

tend to mature as you age, as for classifying an "idiot" you sound like a good example
Original post by the bear
i would say anyone who has reached the age of criminal responsibility should be able to vote.

Original post by the bear
if you are old enough to be punished for your crimes you are old enough to vote. *

You want ten-year-olds to be given the vote?
You know, I see your point but everybody has less life experience than someone
else.
A 18 year old has less life experience than a 90 year old yet they still get a say, even though they are more 'likely to be an idiot'.
And its not only years that give you life experience.

And a cut of point is required, what is next, 15 year olds to vote? A point has to be made where a large chunk of people do start to have life experience, and at least are capable of legally doing everything. The idea what someone is not legally old enough to go to war but old enough to vote for wars (at least indirectly) is laughable.
This would be quite cool.

Screw the NHS, high rate tax and renewable energy.

You could win a General Election by promising 3Gb free data to everyone
Original post by viffer
You do realise that if the YESNP thought for a nano second that 16-17 YOs would vote "Naw" they would not have been included.

Of course I recognise that...thats my point before
But luckily for Scotland's youth they didn't think.
And their lack of thinking about their gain of this change in law, resulted in the just and right thing being done.
And a cut of point is required, what is next, 15 year olds to vote? A point has to be made where a large chunk of people do start to have life experience, and at least are capable of legally doing everything. The idea what someone is not legally old enough to go to war but old enough to vote for wars (at least indirectly) is laughable.

Of course a point has to be made where a large chunk of people have life experience, but why do you think this point is 18?
A 16 year old can go to adult jail, get married, claim some benefits, buy a property.....
And perhaps an 16 year old cannot go to war, but the majority of 18 year olds are not going to go to war either so...
And people over the age of 60 do not go to war either, so should they not get a say?
What about the ill?
tend to mature as you age, as for classifying an "idiot" you sound like a good example

Well if we're going by age lets go at 22 then, you maturer then than you are at 18.
And I think you should leave your side of the discussion to The_Opinion. Simply becoming rude and nasty just shows how you are feeling weak and are stuck for points.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well if we're going by age lets go at 22 then, you maturer then than you are at 18.
And I think you should leave your side of the discussion to The_Opinion. Simply becoming rude and nasty just shows how you are feeling weak and are stuck for points. Don't use your views as an excuse to bully.

dont cry :smile: xox
dont cry :smile: xox

Excuse me? You think I'm going to cry over you.....how about you respond to my earlier point and start focusing on strengthening your argument.
What you're doing right now is making you look weak. There's no need to get so defensive.
And I think you should leave your side of the discussion to The_Opinion. Simply becoming rude and nasty just shows how you are feeling weak and are stuck for points.

Many people including myself would support raising the age of voting, thus ensuring that voters do have even more life experience.
(edited 7 years ago)
Excuse me? You think I'm going to cry over you.....how about you respond to my earlier point and start focusing on strengthening your argument.
What you're doing right now is making you look weak. There's no need to get so defensive.

lmao you are one triggered feminist aren't you. I already told you why, there are too many idiots like you. Our age group is so easily swayed by social media its shocking, even if 16-17 year olds were allowed to vote it wouldn't have made any difference to the EU result. No one really gave a **** until we left, only 36% of 18-24 year olds voted. Accept it and move on, if we move it 16, there probably will be 15 year olds wanting to vote, next thing you know we have 10 year olds voting
Many people including myself would support raising the age of voting, thus ensuring that voters do have even more life experience.

Okay, well to be honest then I can see your point.
I do agree you have more life experience with age and I can see why you would argue this.
But I don't just think that life experience comes with age. And I think even if you had limited life experience you should still get represented.
The reason for me 10 year olds do not get a vote is because they are easily influenced and also do not know enough yet. However, 16 year olds for me are no more easily influenced than 18 year olds and know enough to be represented.
However, I do see your argument and I do agree that life experience does have to be considered.
lmao you are one triggered feminist aren't you. I already told you why, there are too many idiots like you. Our age group is so easily swayed by social media its shocking, even if 16-17 year olds were allowed to vote it wouldn't have made any difference to the EU result. No one really gave a **** until we left, only 36% of 18-24 year olds voted. Accept it and move on, if we move it 16, there probably will be 15 year olds wanting to vote, next thing you know we have 10 year olds voting

What has anything I've said so far got to do with feminism?
Do you not believe in equal rights?
Just to clarify, do you think all feminists are idiots too?
And do you think feminists should be able to vote?
Please check the opening line of this discussion "We believe 16 and 17 year olds deserve to be heard in elections"
Unlike you, I'm thinking of other situations here. Yes, I might have been pro remain for the EU referendum but this isn't affecting that at all. Regardless of the referendum I believe you and I deserve a say.
Even though I disagree with you, I still think you deserve a say?
Why don't you think that you deserve a say too? It's time to start valuing yourself.

Oh and finally an argument: the slippery slope argument.
True, perhaps it will lead to more people speaking up.
But the law already recognises that 16 year olds are mature enough to get married, get a job, claim some kinds of benefits....so why are they not mature enough to vote?
15 year olds don't have these rights.
Thats the difference.
Do you think that 16 year olds should not be allowed to have these rights?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending