The Student Room Group
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website

Law Part Time

Hey,

anyone begining to study or perhaps already has studied Law part time at ulster? I am currently filing out an application for it and can't find a lot of information on it. Any help please! Thank you
Reply 1
Hey, I am about to finish 3rd year law at Magee!
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by CABrowne
Hey, I am about to finish 3rd year law at Magee!

Can you tell me what the course is like? Did you do it part time, or know anyone who has done it part time? I just got confirmation that I will be studying it part time in Sept! Any details would be awesome!
Reply 3
I studied full time, but lots of people study part time. I think with part time you can choose do to 1 or 2 modules per semester. A lecture lasts 2 hours with a compulsory 1 hour seminar. When I was full time, I had 3 classes per week, so you will have 1 or 2 classes per week! Course is difficult, but manageable! Lots of independent study time and reading to do!
Reply 4
Original post by CABrowne
I studied full time, but lots of people study part time. I think with part time you can choose do to 1 or 2 modules per semester. A lecture lasts 2 hours with a compulsory 1 hour seminar. When I was full time, I had 3 classes per week, so you will have 1 or 2 classes per week! Course is difficult, but manageable! Lots of independent study time and reading to do!

Amazing. Thank you! Do you know what the compulsory books are to get for first years? In what way is it difficult? just the workload? or the reading etc?
Reply 5
Reading is difficult at the beginning, then you will figure out a way to do it that works best for you. Workload is tough too, especially at the end of a term. Get started on your coursework as soon as they release it, that's the best advice I can give you!
Reply 6
I applied for Part Time Law at Jordanstown 2 weeks or so ago, haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear and if there is an interview stage?
Reply 7
Original post by RedRascal
I applied for Part Time Law at Jordanstown 2 weeks or so ago, haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear and if there is an interview stage?

Hey there,
I applied around 2 months or so ago and heard back quite quickly, within 3 weeks i was offered a place. I was sent an email asking to confirm my place and once i did she said she would send me the details for registration nearer the time. It depends on your situation i think? Have you completed your a levels? I had done an access course a year ago so i was able to send my results and they were able to decide quite quickly? Hopefully you hear very soon though, i imagine it won't take much longer! And good luck because we could be classmates :smile:
Reply 8
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am actually a mature student and already have a degree etc in other subjects, looking at a change in direction. Similar to yourself I have everything in place qualification wise. It is exam time so I am guessing they are busy, I just hope I didn't miss any dead lines but I didn't see one mentioned anywhere.

Thanks again!
Reply 9
Original post by wowo2
Hey there,
I applied around 2 months or so ago and heard back quite quickly, within 3 weeks i was offered a place. I was sent an email asking to confirm my place and once i did she said she would send me the details for registration nearer the time. It depends on your situation i think? Have you completed your a levels? I had done an access course a year ago so i was able to send my results and they were able to decide quite quickly? Hopefully you hear very soon though, i imagine it won't take much longer! And good luck because we could be classmates :smile:

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am actually a mature student and already have a degree etc in other subjects, looking at a change in direction. Similar to yourself I have everything in place qualification wise. It is exam time so I am guessing they are busy, I just hope I didn't miss any dead lines but I didn't see one mentioned anywhere.

Thanks again!
Hi, I'm just going to jump in on this string. I'm a mature 29 year old and have been offered a place for part time study! Just wondering if anyone else has kids and a job that they are going to continue on with and what information they have been given about the course with regards to hours/days of classes per week? Thanks, Lauren
Hi Lauren,

I am still waiting on AQA sending my GCSE cert but I believe I'll be accepted once it comes. But unfortunately means I still have no idea about hours or time table. I am guessing could be 5-7 hours of classes a week and a lot of reading time on top of that, but that's a best guess from reading about other people's experiences.

I have no kids but planning to work at the same time and try and fit my schedule round, my work can be pretty flexible so I think I can manage both.

I am daunted by work in front of me (once accepted) but really looking forward to getting stuck in!
Hey! Thanks for your reply!!

All very daunting isn't it!ive accepted and have been sent a preliminary timetable for the first semester! Each module is 1hour seminar and a 2 hour lecture per week, and you normally do 1 module in the first semester and 2 from there on in!
Original post by RedRascal
Hi Lauren,

I am still waiting on AQA sending my GCSE cert but I believe I'll be accepted once it comes. But unfortunately means I still have no idea about hours or time table. I am guessing could be 5-7 hours of classes a week and a lot of reading time on top of that, but that's a best guess from reading about other people's experiences.

I have no kids but planning to work at the same time and try and fit my schedule round, my work can be pretty flexible so I think I can manage both.

I am daunted by work in front of me (once accepted) but really looking forward to getting stuck in!
Original post by Lmitchell16
Hey! Thanks for your reply!!

All very daunting isn't it!ive accepted and have been sent a preliminary timetable for the first semester! Each module is 1hour seminar and a 2 hour lecture per week, and you normally do 1 module in the first semester and 2 from there on in!

Hi Lauren,

That's great, I think we'll be classmates then! I have only got dates for induction so far but expecting some stuff in the post which I hope will have the time table.
My employer is going to give me time off for classes by looks of things!
Been doing a bit of reading to try and prepare myself for the shock of being back in education!
ATB

Quick Reply

Latest