The Student Room Group

made the wrong uni course choice...what now?

i have got a conditional offer to do film but now want to do police studies at a uni nearer home. it lists the course on clearing... what do i do

Scroll to see replies

You can contact your firm about it for advice and withdraw. On results day you have the option to go through clearing/adjustment so if your grades are right for your course then you should get through and your UCAS should update if there are spaces.
(edited 7 years ago)
Police studies??
Original post by oceanmum
i have got a conditional offer to do film but now want to do police studies at a uni nearer home. it lists the course on clearing... what do i do

If you really know that, then contact your firm and withdraw. Normally I would say dont withdraw before you have soemthing you wnat to go to and are sure of it, but in this case you have decided you dont wnat the course anyway.

I would also contact the other place just to confirm you would be offered a place.
Will you get or have you got the grades?

Once you know this is the case about withdrawal and the police course, then you can go through the motions and follow through on UCAS.

Do it first thing tomorrow. Longer you leave it the more chance those clearing places could go.
Original post by Trinculo
Police studies??

Maybe she meant Political Studies? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sameehaiqbal
She meant Political Studies :smile:

Are you sure?
Are you sure?

Yes as this thread is in the Social and Political Sciences forum.
Reply 7
She meant Political Studies :smile:

How the heck do you know what she meant??? The are degrees in policing and police studies.

I'm reading Political Science, but I would assume that Police Studies (if it's a thing) would be a Social Science too
I'm reading Political Science, but I would assume that Police Studies (if it's a thing) would be a Social Science too

Yeah I think it's political science too but who knows maybe it's not. That's just what I assumed anyways :smile:
I just took it as police studies, would hardly be surprised if there was such a degree.... which there is...

Just says
You are Here: My TSR > Forums > University and university courses> Applications and UCAS
@oceanmum
Did you mean Police Studies, or Political Science?

Yes it's been moved to the correct forum now because this post is about applications and ucas more specifically.

1) Ask your firm university to reject your place.
2) Apply through clearing.
Reply 15
its police studies... i am not a 100% sure whether to drop my first choice...i may not get the points and rather than go to my insurance choice I would rather do something else..police studies. It looks like they have places now. what is the process. i need 300 for my first choice subject but only 240 for police studies
You can contact your firm about it for advice and withdraw. On results day you have the option to go through clearing/adjustment so if your grades are right for your course then you should get through and your UCAS should update if there are spaces.

Original post by 999tigger
If you really know that, then contact your firm and withdraw. Normally I would say dont withdraw before you have soemthing you wnat to go to and are sure of it, but in this case you have decided you dont wnat the course anyway.

I would also contact the other place just to confirm you would be offered a place.
Will you get or have you got the grades?

Once you know this is the case about withdrawal and the police course, then you can go through the motions and follow through on UCAS.

Do it first thing tomorrow. Longer you leave it the more chance those clearing places could go.

Original post by jake4198
1) Ask your firm university to reject your place.
2) Apply through clearing.

its police studies... i am not a 100% sure whether to drop my first choice...i may not get the points and rather than go to my insurance choice I would rather do something else..police studies. It looks like they have places now. what is the process. i need 300 for my first choice subject but only 240 for police studies

Phone your insurance and explain that if your firm reject you then you would like to go straight into clearing. Ask for (and note down) the name and job title of who you speak to. Ask if they need you to confirm anything in writing and ask them to confirm any promises in writing.

Do NOT use (as suggested above) the words REJECT, WITHDRAW or RELEASE. They have very specific meanings in the UCAS system and you might end up getting what you ask for (a withdrawal at this point wouldn't put you into clearing - it would remove your entire application for this cycle).

Don't wait until results day. The sooner you speak to universities the more helpful they are likely to be. On results day applicants asking to be put into clearing are the lowest priority - on average it takes 48 hours to get it to happen.

If you don't want to cut ties with your firm without knowing your results then call the university you're considering for police studies and explain that you're interested but not yet in clearing. Ask if they need a personal statement for applicants like yourself who are changing subject and ask about accommodation options for clearing applicants. Get an idea of your chances of a place - a clearing advert doesn't mean a course won't still be selective. You'll also get yourself known by the university and if you do need to get out of your firm choice on results day then they're more likely to hold a place for you.
Original post by PQ
Phone your insurance and explain that if your firm reject you then you would like to go straight into clearing. Ask for (and note down) the name and job title of who you speak to. Ask if they need you to confirm anything in writing and ask them to confirm any promises in writing.

Do NOT use (as suggested above) the words REJECT, WITHDRAW or RELEASE. They have very specific meanings in the UCAS system and you might end up getting what you ask for (a withdrawal at this point wouldn't put you into clearing - it would remove your entire application for this cycle).

Don't wait until results day. The sooner you speak to universities the more helpful they are likely to be. On results day applicants asking to be put into clearing are the lowest priority - on average it takes 48 hours to get it to happen.

If you don't want to cut ties with your firm without knowing your results then call the university you're considering for police studies and explain that you're interested but not yet in clearing. Ask if they need a personal statement for applicants like yourself who are changing subject and ask about accommodation options for clearing applicants. Get an idea of your chances of a place - a clearing advert doesn't mean a course won't still be selective. You'll also get yourself known by the university and if you do need to get out of your firm choice on results day then they're more likely to hold a place for you.

Surely its self evident between saying you are no ,longer interested in your firm and wish to withdraw from that offer as opposed to withdraw from UCAS as a whole. Its not as though the conversation will end there because the OP will explain to them what she wished to be considered for the other course via clearing rather than falling off a cliff? The OP said she no longer wishes to do the firm, meaning its irrelevant irrespective of results.
Original post by 999tigger
Surely its self evident between saying you are no ,longer interested in your firm and wish to withdraw from that offer as opposed to withdraw from UCAS as a whole. Its not as though the conversation will end there because the OP will explain to them what she wished to be considered for the other course via clearing rather than falling off a cliff? The OP said she no longer wishes to do the firm, meaning its irrelevant irrespective of results.

It should be. But this time of year admissions phone lines are staffed with temporary staff (quite often students) who haven't always had full training or the admissions full time staff are under a lot of pressure.

We've had a good number of cases on tsr in the past of students either getting unhelpful responses ("no we can't release you " when students asked this when still conditional) and I remember at least 2 cases where students asked for and got a withdrawal (when they wanted a rejection) and ended up spending results day trying to get through to UCAS to get their application reinstated.

It's a small risk but it's one that has tripped up or inconvenienced enough students that it is best to avoid those three terms. It's much better to just say the desired outcome "I want to be in clearing ", "I want my insurance to be my new firm ", "if my firm reject me I want to be straight into clearing ". It just cuts out one possible misunderstanding from a fairly complex and stressful situation.
Original post by PQ
It should be. But this time of year admissions phone lines are staffed with temporary staff (quite often students) who haven't always had full training or the admissions full time staff are under a lot of pressure.

We've had a good number of cases on tsr in the past of students either getting unhelpful responses ("no we can't release you " when students asked this when still conditional) and I remember at least 2 cases where students asked for and got a withdrawal (when they wanted a rejection) and ended up spending results day trying to get through to UCAS to get their application reinstated.

It's a small risk but it's one that has tripped up or inconvenienced enough students that it is best to avoid those three terms. It's much better to just say the desired outcome "I want to be in clearing ", "I want my insurance to be my new firm ", "if my firm reject me I want to be straight into clearing ". It just cuts out one possible misunderstanding from a fairly complex and stressful situation.

Not arguing with you. I just think anyone capable of conducting a phone conversation is going to be careful enough to get across what it is they want and get it confirmed that the other person has understood it. I wouldnt say I want to withdraw and then put the phone down, but you would be explaining to them abou the new course. In the OP's example its obvious they wnat to discuss about the new course, so its beholden on them to mention it.

Ps if its happened its happened, but the mind bohhles as to how people cnat be careful enough in a conversation that is importnat to simply get someone to confirm what it is they believe they have agreed upon plus a follow up in writing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending