The Student Room Group

My advice to Access to HE students and feedback wanted

I put together this quick guide from my experience last year. I tried to keep it as brief as possible and it's only one page.

It's primarily aimed at Humanities/social science type course but hopefully everyone will find it useful. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Original post by skeptical_john
I put together this quick guide from my experience last year. I tried to keep it as brief as possible and it's only one page.

It's primarily aimed at Humanities/social science type course but hopefully everyone will find it useful. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for you responce; much appreciated!

I have read your article and I must admit it was very helpful, thank you!

What subjects did you study and what was your final end grade off the diploma.

I am freaking out still because I still do not know what access to study.

Either

Social science, humanities including history
Or
Social.work
Both pathways can lead to a career of becoming a social worker.

Either

Or
Social.work
Original post by Craig Beardsley

Either

Or
Social.work

I did a mix of social science and humanities for the education pathway. Most colleges will let you mix it up a little bit but ask before hand. Basically check the unis for what they want, if they dont say on website phone them.
I did a mix of social science and humanities for the education pathway. Most colleges will let you mix it up a little bit but ask before hand. Basically check the unis for what they want, if they dont say on website phone them.

Both access course gets me onto university. All i need is 125 ucas points for social work or 98 points for a youth justice course.

I kind of wanting to study humanities because I will studying History WW2 etc and plus its the same teacher that taught me on my pre access level 2 so il be familaier to the way she teaches.

But

I am thinking social work will help me in a great detail for when i go to a university amd for interview.

How did you find access overall?
Did you work along side the course?
Both access course gets me onto university. All i need is 125 ucas points for social work or 98 points for a youth justice course.

I kind of wanting to study humanities because I will studying History WW2 etc and plus its the same teacher that taught me on my pre access level 2 so il be familaier to the way she teaches.

But

I am thinking social work will help me in a great detail for when i go to a university amd for interview.

How did you find access overall?
Did you work along side the course?

I didnt but I did some other stuff. Some people worked and did fine but it certainly makes it a lot harder.

I was disappointed with some of access like study skills and there was too much wasted time in general (this may just be my college) but the course itself is well suited to the bridge to uni.

You might be able to do something like history/sociology and social policy?
I didnt but I did some other stuff. Some people worked and did fine but it certainly makes it a lot harder.

I was disappointed with some of access like study skills and there was too much wasted time in general (this may just be my college) but the course itself is well suited to the bridge to uni.

You might be able to do something like history/sociology and social policy?

Il have to ask the college if i can choose certain subjects but I beleave I have to study psychology.

What college did you study at?
I am at nottingham Central Colege!

Are you off to university this september
Il have to ask the college if i can choose certain subjects but I beleave I have to study psychology.

What college did you study at?
I am at nottingham Central Colege!

Are you off to university this september

Yes will be going to uni in September. I studied not too far away in Birmingham.
Yes will be going to uni in September. I studied not too far away in Birmingham.

Ok thank you for ypur input!

Good luck with your studies, maybe you can proof read my assignments. Hahha
Oh god, thank you so much for this! I've been looking for something like this for months. I have an interview for a humanities and social sciences access course tomorrow and it's something I've wanted to do since I read about it about a year ago now?
Just a few questions!

1. What subjects did you study and what marks did you get?
2. What kind of textbooks should I buy?
3. Should I make an early start by researching things and whatnot?
4. What are you going on to study at university and what offers did other people on the course get?
5. Were uni's a bit more skeptical about an access course rather than the usual A-Level type path?
6. What was the age range of people in the class?
7. What was the workload like?

Sorry for so many questions, just really worried about it all as Sixth Form was hell for me as I didn't prepare myself for what it was going to be like at all, so now I want to be ready and be as prepared as possible!
Thanks in advance!
Just finished year 1 of uni after doing an Access course - all stellar advice!
Original post by Hamo2509
Just finished year 1 of uni after doing an Access course - all stellar advice!

What did you study on your access course, and what are you studying at uni?
Original post by katienurd
Oh god, thank you so much for this! I've been looking for something like this for months. I have an interview for a humanities and social sciences access course tomorrow and it's something I've wanted to do since I read about it about a year ago now?
Just a few questions!

1. What subjects did you study and what marks did you get? english/education/psych - I got 45 @ dist
2. What kind of textbooks should I buy? best to ask your teacher but its level 3 course so a level books should be fine
3. Should I make an early start by researching things and whatnot? Always especially with ucas stuff
4. What are you going on to study at university and what offers did other people on the course get? everyone who put the effort in got the offers they wanted
5. Were uni's a bit more skeptical about an access course rather than the usual A-Level type path? no but a couple did have issues I think trying to get into warwick
6. What was the age range of people in the class? 20-38
7. What was the workload like? 12 hours in class 12 outside
1. What subjects did you study and what marks did you get? english/education/psych - I got 45 @ dist
2. What kind of textbooks should I buy? best to ask your teacher but its level 3 course so a level books should be fine
3. Should I make an early start by researching things and whatnot? Always especially with ucas stuff
4. What are you going on to study at university and what offers did other people on the course get? everyone who put the effort in got the offers they wanted
5. Were uni's a bit more skeptical about an access course rather than the usual A-Level type path? no but a couple did have issues I think trying to get into warwick
6. What was the age range of people in the class? 20-38
7. What was the workload like? 12 hours in class 12 outside

WoW, 45 at distinctions, congratulations!

I only hope for distinctions.
Bump for this as many new students starting soon
Hi your guidance is good, what blogs, books and journals do you suggest? I am not entirely sure what to look for and cannot seem to access academic journals without signing up.

Hi this is really good advice. What specific books, articles and journals do you suggest, I never know where to start or what additional information to include.

Quick Reply