The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serine Soul
Teach us your ways :adore:

When you come to the freshers' fair in October (the 4th and 5th) then come and see me on the Welsh Society stand (@Mathemagicien I'm signing you up)!

Welsh Soc President checking in.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
When you come to the freshers' fair in October (the 4th and 5th) then come and see me on the Welsh Society stand (@Mathemagicien I'm signing you up)!

I'm a mathmo, I'm exempt from joining any societies
Sorry this isn't totally relevant but figured you guys might know something about this...

Have I done everything I need to do for student finance? I completed the form, sent of the declaration then got a letter 1-2 weeks asking me to send the declaration :confused: I sent it again anyway because I figured it's better that they might have 2 than 0 :tongue: the most recent letters I have now are the ones with the payment timetable (like £975 on 19th October etc). I have one for me and one for my uni.

I never sent off financial details as my parents and I decided not to. I think I'm up to date but just wanted to check!

I shall pay you a visit if I meet my offer :yep:
Original post by Mathemagicien
This is pretty much what I sounded like (the middle bit, like the guy with black hair)

[video="youtube;Efd-vmTEgO0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efd-vmTEgO0[/video]

(I just googled speaking in tongues, which is pretty much what Welsh sounds like)

Oh dear
Now I challenge you @Saracen's Fez to pronounce Rindfleischetikettierungsueberwachungsaufgabenuebertragungsgesetz

(It is admittedly a lot easier for English speakers)
Now I challenge you @Saracen's Fez to pronounce Rindfleischetikettierungsueberwachungsaufgabenuebertragungsgesetz

(It is admittedly a lot easier for English speakers)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1i2zDCYplm7

Don't challenge MML students with long words in other languages or at least not in languages they study or speak fluently. :tongue:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1i2zDCYplm7

Don't challenge MML students with long words in other languages or at least not in languages they study or speak fluently. :tongue:

I didn't do my homework... (edit: and include the German Learners Society too :facepalm:)

_TSR_lol.png

Btw, its very weird listening to a fellow Englander (well, near enough to one I suppose) speak German
(edited 7 years ago)
Btw, its very weird listening to a fellow Englander (well, near enough to one I suppose) speak German

I mean I'm used to listening to my coursemates speak but it's weird to hear myself speak German (or for that matter Welsh) on a recording. I want to know what sort of a Welsh accent I have (given I'm English in origin and learnt the language at school) and things!
I mean I'm used to listening to my coursemates speak but it's weird to hear myself speak German (or for that matter Welsh) on a recording. I want to know what sort of a Welsh accent I have (given I'm English in origin and learnt the language at school) and things!

How bad is my accent?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1lGbOWbYKhB

I tried to emulate the way Germans go up and down in pitch/tone/whatever it is, but I think I sound condescending at the end...
How bad is my accent?

I tried to emulate the way Germans go up and down in pitch/tone/whatever it is, but I think I sound condescending at the end...

It's very public service announcement but a decent accent.
It's very public service announcement but a decent accent.

That's where I have got my first hand* German from, since when I went to Germany, all the people spoke English to me :frown:

(* i.e. not on learning German courses)
(edited 7 years ago)
How bad is my accent?

you sound like you have a cold. ..
i wanna try too but im too shy
Original post by Protoxylic
First term freshers is probably going to be the one term where you will spend quite a bit, your college bill tends to be billed in the first week of term (at Caius it is, not sure about other colleges), membership fees for certain societies, as well as 'freshers week'. Aside from that, I budget myself £10 a day throughout the year for food, drink to get through the day (that doesn't include the weekly shop) and then for other items like alcohol and things you want to buy such as clothes that's up to you and is generally a thing that you buy when you see it.

Other items include formal swaps and general formal tickets which tend to be either billed on your college bill or payed by cash to the person you're swapping with if money is necessary. Books aren't that necessary, the library has everything you need, although some colleges have book bursaries.

Optional stuff that students tend to buy are college jumpers/shirts/scarves and sports jackets/hats for the sport they partake in. These are all one off things that you might purchase in first term as well.
Thankyou a very detailed reply and definately useful
Original post by gasfxekl
you sound like you have a cold. ..
i wanna try too but im too shy

Shy... of sharing what your voice sounds like?
Original post by Serine Soul
I suppose the safest way to go would be to allow £100 each week. That would cover for a lot including food, going out, odd bits that might be needed etc. Combined with the maintenance loan, you probably won't need to give £100 each week's worth.

I would personally prefer a monthly, if not weekly, transfer to avoid spending all the money in one go but it's really up to your child :smile:

I intend on trying to avoid asking family for any money because I do get the full maintenance loan and bursary and that's all paid termly :redface: It could be a task trying to keep in mind that I have bills to pay at the end of term and not get excited at the sight of large amounts of money!

Thankyou for your help
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
AFAIK, there weren't any big bills for my sister (Queens' Land Ec) but my mum gave her £75 a week bank transfer and then sometimes if she went into overdraft, a little bit more would have been transferred if necessary, but generally that covered everything. There will be some big bills, for instance if your child wants to go to a May ball or needs some cash to cover a Uni trip. Also I believe that if anything happens to any furniture in their room (i.e. breakages or missing items) they may charge a bit for that but I doubt that's likely to happen :smile:

Very useful thankyou
So how long are term contracts for accomadation?
I can't find anything official from my college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
It's nutritional value depends highly on the maths written on the paper pre-feast.

Do you occasionally use a green piece of paper so you get your veggies?

Latest

Trending

Trending