The Student Room Group

Person getting extra marks on exam? Would this happen?

Hi there, during my GCSE exams during June, a fellow student's uncle passed away in which he boasted that he would get an extra 10% added on to his physics paper result and that he would not need to undertake the coming final further maths paper (there was 2 separate papers) due to the family berievement and that the examiner would just use the mark he got from the paper before. The further maths exams are in two different papers, Pure maths & Mecanics and statistics. I was just wondering if what he was saying is true as it isn't fair at all in my eyes due the difficulty of the subject and that other classmates including myself done a lot of work etc for the subject while he would get an easy pass.
Reply 1
Original post by Wammyburger
Hi there, during my GCSE exams during June, a fellow student's uncle passed away in which he boasted that he would get an extra 10% added on to his physics paper result and that he would not need to undertake the coming final further maths paper (there was 2 separate papers) due to the family berievement and that the examiner would just use the mark he got from the paper before. The further maths exams are in two different papers, Pure maths & Mecanics and statistics. I was just wondering if what he was saying is true as it isn't fair at all in my eyes due the difficulty of the subject and that other classmates including myself done a lot of work etc for the subject while he would get an easy pass.

Who cares?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

If your uncle died, wouldn't you want more marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The highest special circumstance gives is 5% I believe, i think they can substitute marks if the death meant missing an exam for a funeral but I m not sure on that. It's a case to case basis and depends on if it's a close relative or not. The exam boards don't tell you what extra % you ve been awarded but it won't have been 10 when the max is 5.
It's called special consideration and applies for bereaving students and people who have serious medical situations. Such as being in ICU or such. Technically it is fair, but the fact that he's showing off comes across that he may be exploiting the situation. I don't know though.
Reply 5
Original post by Fish40
If your uncle died, wouldn't you want more marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

wouldnt really flaunt and exaggerate an uncle dying in peers' faces and smirking to others saying they got the easy path out. so, no
wouldnt really flaunt and exaggerate an uncle dying in peers' faces and smirking to others saying they got the easy path out. so, no

People grieve in different ways. Joking about the death giving him extra marks may have been what enabled him to stay at least semi focussed on his exams, or even put together enough to take them at all.
(obviously I may be being extremely generous but I believe evidence is needed to get special consideration)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by xEmilyxx
It's called special consideration and applies for bereaving students and people who have serious medical situations. Such as being in ICU or such. Technically it is fair, but the fact that he's showing off comes across that he may be exploiting the situation. I don't know though.

i see what you mean but i dont really think a bereavement like in this example is a way to get an easy pass in the hardest GCSE exam that you can do
Reply 8

Oh he boasted about it, well **** him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nowadays people use excuses like this to gain extra marks..and then boast...which is taking advantage of it - WRONG.!
i see what you mean but i dont really think a bereavement like in this example is a way to get an easy pass in the hardest GCSE exam that you can do

I guess so. It depends how close he was to his uncle, and whether he was deeply affected by the passing. If he wasn't affected that much, he could be using it as a way to get marks.

Quick Reply

Latest