The Student Room Group

A level choices?

I'm going u to sixth form in September I just finished GCSEs I'm looking to continue ur to uni and study social work but I'm really stuck on which allege,s to choose I was going to pick health and social csre, science and sociology are they good choices or is there any different subjects I should swap choose? (My school doesnt do psychology)
Can you be more specific 'science' are we talking all three subjects; biology, Chem and Physics? Have a look at universities that you're interested in and the course requirements for social care, or whatever it is you want to do. Usually they mention 'helpful' or otherwise advantageous subjects to take.
Reply 2
Original post by 34908seikj
Can you be more specific 'science' are we talking all three subjects; biology, Chem and Physics? Have a look at universities that you're interested in and the course requirements for social care, or whatever it is you want to do. Usually they mention 'helpful' or otherwise advantageous subjects to take.

Yes all three subjects and I have looked at two different universities I'd be interested in sent he only a level requirements shown are the grades "ABB"
Original post by princessxo
Yes all three subjects and I have looked at two different universities I'd be interested in sent he only a level requirements shown are the grades "ABB"

So that means it doesn't really matter what subjects you take. If you're set on doing science, with physics I suggest that you maybe drop the sociology for maths, as obviously it will help you a lot more with the physics. - which by the way physics seems pretty unnecessary if you're looking to go into social care. What about doing a more essay type subject along with biology, Chemistry and sociology, like English, Government and politics, or even history.
Reply 4
My mum is a social worker and those A levels sound fine aslong as you get good grades in them.

The issue with social work isnt really grades when applying at 18 its life experiance. Very few 18 year olds get on social work courses because of this. Many are elder and have decided to do social work after some of profession. She reccomends you do alot of voluntary work.

I was stuck between History and Social work. I did voluntry work at nursing homes, schools and disabled youth groups. Although i chose History in the end.

Dont leave the voluntry work untill your last year either they need to see that you are dedicated and its something you have always wanted to do. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest