The Student Room Group

Tricky A level maths questions?

Please explain how I'm supposed to get a correct answer for these questions with working out, thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
For 2.) Consider (ab)20(a-b)^2\geq 0 as the square of any real number is greater than or equal to 0.

For 1.) and 2.) Just start from aba\geq b and see if it holds true, remember when multiplying by a negative number, you have to switch the inequality sign.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jas1947
Please explain how I'm supposed to get a correct answer for these questions with working out, thank you.

For the first one; (1) remember that when you multiply inequalities by -1 on both sides, the sign flips. (2) Move the 2ab on the opposite side and you can factorise all of it into (ab)20(a-b)^2\geq0 and think about what happens given a's relationship to b. (3) I'm sure you can spot what you can do to both sides there.

For the second one; use triangles or the unit circle to work out the values of tan(34π)tan(\frac{3}{4}\pi) and sin(π2)sin(\frac{\pi}{2}) (then raise this value to the 10th power). I'm sure you can work out what log(100) is. E will obviously be something less than 1 raised to the 10th power so it goes down even more. This leaves D where you can approximate what power goes onto the 2 in order to get 10, doesn't have to be exact. Once you have all these the largest one should be obvious.

Nothing tricky here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
For the first one; (1) remember that when you multiply inequalities by -1 on both sides, the sign flips. (2) Move the 2ab on the opposite side and you can factorise all of it into (ab)20(a-b)^2\geq0 and think about what happens given a's relationship to b. (3) I'm sure you can spot what you can do to both sides there.

For the second one; use triangles or the unit circle to work out the values of tan(34π)tan(\frac{3}{4}\pi) and sin(π2)sin(\frac{\pi}{2}) (then raise this value to the 10th power). I'm sure you can work out what log(100) is. E will obviously be something less than 1 raised to the 10th power so it goes down even more. This leaves D where you can approximate what power goes onto the 2 in order to get 10, doesn't have to be exact. Once you have all these the largest one should be obvious.

Nothing tricky here.

For the first question , the last equation with c, if i divide bith sides by c then wouldnt I just get a≥b again?
Original post by Jas1947
For the first question , the last equation with c, if i divide bith sides by c then wouldnt I just get a≥b again?

Yep
Reply 5
Yep

So 1,2 and 3 must all be true?
Original post by Jas1947
So 1,2 and 3 must all be true?

By the looks of it. Have a bit more confidence, man, you already established which ones are true. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
By the looks of it. Have a bit more confidence, man, you already established which ones are true. :tongue:

I thought so but the answer says E which confuses me because I thought it should be H instead..
Original post by Jas1947
I thought so but the answer says E which confuses me because I thought it should be H instead..

If c was negative then that statement would be false, but if it's positive then it's correct. They should realistically define c as being either positive or negative.

Edit: I misinterpreted the question (DAMN YOU 2AM), it says for any real number so c can be either negative or positive for the statement to hold true. Since it's only true for ONE of these cases rather than both, it is technically incorrect.
(edited 7 years ago)
C can also be negative, which is why it's E not H

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Thank you :smile:
Q2) Just work them out, what is tan(3π/4)\tan(3{\pi}/4) etc. (think of the graphs). You should know the standard trig answers e.g. sin(π/2)\sin({\pi}/2) or arcsin(12)\mathrm{arcsin}(\dfrac{1}{2}) also you should know how to workout logs as well, e.g. the standard approach I use is that the base, in the examples' case 10, what power of 10 gives me the inside of the bracket? well 10^2 = 100 so log10(100)=2\log_{10}(100)=2
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
For Q2: Well, what are your thoughts? What have you tried? C'mon, show some effort.

Quick Reply

Latest