The Student Room Group

Am I a UK National?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 999tigger
Why are you confusing the issue with incorrect information?

The OP asked a technical question about whether they are a UK national.

They are. end of.

For the issue of nationality, then yes they are considered equal and just as British as you. Thats what happens when you are granted a full passport and rights as a UK citizen.

You are correct as far as the law goes but consider alternative view points
But it is fundamentally incorrect because i was born here. If i could change it i would make it one passport for British born people and another for British citizens, to clear up the issue of a foreign national with British Citizenship having a child, the child will be eligible for a British national passport but the foriegn parents will not. The way i would change it is as follows

British National passport eligibility
1. Have to be born in the UK
2. If both of your parents were born in the UK but you was conceived in another country, you can also have a British National passport

British Citizen Passport
1. If you are a non British individual with no British parents and have lived in the UK for 5 or more years

If you ask me why have 2 passports, whats the difference?

I would change the law if i had my own way non British nationals who commit crimes or brings the country into disrepute can have there citizenship passport revoked along with there passport, they would then be an illegal immigrant so I could deport them.
Reply 21
What would the point of that be?
How many generations would you go back?
Would you get extra rights if you were born here and if so what?
What about someone born to British parents whilst they were working abroad, would that make them non British by default?

See next post the reason is to make it easier to deport foreigners who break laws, it would apply to everyone living in Britain as of now. You would get extra rights fir being British because i would revoke bank holidays for non British nationals, i would also have a progressive taxation system where you pay less if your British born and you pay more if your a foreign national with British citizenship you would pay more , I have not researched the amounts yet but maybe a 3% difference . Also non British nationals can not claim JSA unless they have been in employment for atleast 10 years

About British national parents having a child abroad they can have a British National Passport due to there parents being born here, might be a lot to get your head around but this would be my policy to discourage immigration. But once you have it, it has no expiry date unless it gets revoked along with the visa
Original post by RugRatz
You are correct as far as the law goes but consider alternative view points
But it is fundamentally incorrect because i was born here. If i could change it i would make it one passport for British born people and another for British citizens, to clear up the issue of a foreign national with British Citizenship having a child, the child will be eligible for a British national passport but the foriegn parents will not. The way i would change it is as follows

British National passport eligibility
1. Have to be born in the UK
2. If both of your parents were born in the UK but you was conceived in another country, you can also have a British National passport

British Citizen Passport
1. If you are a non British individual with no British parents and have lived in the UK for 5 or more years

If you ask me why have 2 passports, whats the difference?

I would change the law if i had my own way non British nationals who commit crimes or brings the country into disrepute can have there citizenship passport revoked along with there passport, they would then be an illegal immigrant so I could deport them.

Not sure why I have to consider alternate views. The OP asked a simple question and got the correct answer. You just appear to have some sort of manifesto.

It isnt fundamentally incorrect, it is correct becayse that is what the law says.
You then go on to contraditc yourself. A foreign national with british citizenship, will have a british passport by birtue of them being citizens and you are incorrect to say they will not.

All other countries have the same sort of system and accept applicants for citizenship even from people who may not have been born there. I really cnat see the point of your manifesto anyway. All citizens should be treated equally.
If you have a British passport then you are a UK National.

Why is this in the debate forum?
Original post by RugRatz
I would change it I don't like that. in my opinion to be British you need to be born in a home nation, not just merely have a passport. what your saying is the OP is jist as English as me even though he was born elsewhere.
the OP didn't mention England, so why do you mention it?beside- place of birth doesn't matter for the UK rules (quite rightfully)- but the nationality of parents does.and even if parents are not British nationals, a child can be registered as a British citizen if (s)he lives in uk for over 10 years (before reaching adulthood).

Original post by RugRatz
Now brexit happened I think it should change so they just have citizenship

1. Brexit didn't happen, nothing (apart from £ losing its value) happened. Article 50 hasn't been invoked yet.2. You do have, legally, only citizenship. law doesn't care if your parents were living here for generations or not.
Original post by RugRatz
But it is fundamentally incorrect because i was born here.
congratulations, what else did you achieve?
Original post by RugRatz
If i could change it i would make it one passport for British born people and another for British citizens, to clear up the issue of a foreign national with British Citizenship having a child, the child will be eligible for a British national passport but the foriegn parents will not. The way i would change it is as followsBritish National passport eligibility1. Have to be born in the UK2. If both of your parents were born in the UK but you was conceived in another country, you can also have a British National passportBritish Citizen Passport1. If you are a non British individual with no British parents and have lived in the UK for 5 or more years
yeah, yeah, yeah. basically- you wish to create 2nd class citizens.
Original post by RugRatz
If you ask me why have 2 passports, whats the difference?I would change the law if i had my own way non British nationals who commit crimes or brings the country into disrepute can have there citizenship passport revoked along with there passport, they would then be an illegal immigrant so I could deport them.
People who do have dual nationality can be deported at any time- that law isn't anything new or exceptional, other countries do have it as well. Dual nationality citizen can be stripped of their nationality (which is bloody shameful, because that person has no right to defend themself- it's administrative action, not a judical one).and only because someone have ILR (or permanent residency status- if they are from the EU) doesn't mean they do have voting rights (and quite rightfully).
Reply 25
So now its all about skin colour. Dont you believe non whites cna be just as British as their white counterparts?

Criminology is a complicated subject.

Well im stating a fact home office statistics back it up
Original post by RugRatz

If you study criminology you tend to look at more than the simplistic headline figure and understand that certain ethnic groups commit partiuclar crimes and behind them are issues like poverty, socio economics and culture. Ofc you will dismiss that becayse you dont do analysis, but you sell yourself short if you refuse to look at the reasons.

Keep on with your white agenda though.
Fortunately you arent in power and the government of any persuasion wont be asking you any time soon.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
If you study criminology you tend to look at more than the simplistic headline figure and understand that certain ethnic groups commit partiuclar crimes and behind them are issues like poverty, socio economics and culture. Ofc you will dismiss that becayse you dont do analysis, but you sell yourself short if you refuse to look at the reasons.

Keep on with your white agenda though.
Fortunately you arent in power and the government of any persuasion wont be asking you any time soon.

If they want to come here then they should play by the rules its not rocket science
Original post by RugRatz

You didnt answer the first question.
Original post by RugRatz
If they want to come here then they should play by the rules its not rocket science

Another meanigless comment. Surely anyone who does get put into prison is not playing by the rules hence they get prosecuted. Wouldnt that apply to all criminals whatever their skin colour?
Reply 30
You didnt answer the first question.

Yes they are the scum of the earth

Another meanigless comment. Surely anyone who does get put into prison is not playing by the rules hence they get prosecuted. Wouldnt that apply to all criminals whatever their skin colour?

But white people are under represented in our prisons and black people are over represented simple as that
Original post by RugRatz
I have absolutely no issue with @jwall living and working in Britain, I was merely bringing up how easy it is to get British as your nationality. To clear up any doubt the argument i was trying to make is that it is to easy to get British as your nationality, the opening poster despite living in Britain for most of his life , he is not British in my opinion-the change i would propose is to make nationality and citizenship a seperate entity, so foreign oeople can work and live here but they are not native to our country so can not be British. Its as simple as born in Britain =British, not born in Britain=British Citizen.

What nationality would you give me, I wonder?

My mum was born and raised in Northern Ireland.
My dad was born and raised in Ireland, but spent a few years in England when he was growing up.
I was born in Australia, but spent a few years in Ireland before moving to Northern Ireland, where I've been ever since.*
Original post by DarkMagic
What nationality would you give me, I wonder?

My mum was born and raised in Northern Ireland.
My dad was born and raised in Ireland, but spent a few years in England when he was growing up.
I was born in Australia, but spent a few years in Ireland before moving to Northern Ireland, where I've been ever since.*

He probably thinks you're an IRA sleeper agent.
Reply 33
Original post by RugRatz
See next post the reason is to make it easier to deport foreigners who break laws, it would apply to everyone living in Britain as of now. You would get extra rights fir being British because i would revoke bank holidays for non British nationals, i would also have a progressive taxation system where you pay less if your British born and you pay more if your a foreign national with British citizenship you would pay more , I have not researched the amounts yet but maybe a 3% difference . Also non British nationals can not claim JSA unless they have been in employment for atleast 10 years

About British national parents having a child abroad they can have a British National Passport due to there parents being born here, might be a lot to get your head around but this would be my policy to discourage immigration. But once you have it, it has no expiry date unless it gets revoked along with the visa

That's a terrible idea. You would strip a persons right to bank holidays and make them pay more tax due to their place of birth? Really. I could get my head around the deportation bit a little but I still think it's very harsh. Especially if you've lived in the uk for most of your life.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RugRatz

So you want to tax people for being foreign?
Original post by JamesN88
So you want to tax people for being foreign?

And the rest. If he were in charge immigration bad. Foreigners bad. Non whites not entitled to be British. White British to have superior rights.

What a nice chap.
Reply 36
Original post by jwall
I was not born here nor were my parents. I moved here 12 years ago when I was 4. However, I do have a british passport. Does a british passport make me a uk national?

Yes
And the rest. If he were in charge immigration bad. Foreigners bad. Non whites not entitled to be British. White British to have superior rights.

What a nice chap.

Hmm.

I think he's got a bit lost on his way to http://www.stormfront.org/forum/

Quick Reply

Latest