The Student Room Group

I'm afraid I'll end up alone

I'm 22 and I'm afraid that I'm going to end up alone, all my friends are in relationships and moving in with their boyfriends/girlfriends whilst I'm still at home saving money to buy a house. Also a few of my friends are getting engaged which hasn't bothered me until my best friend told me yesterday that he is going to propose to his girlfriend it made me realise how alone I truly feel.

When I finished college I went straight into employment whilst all my friends moved away to uni and then they all came back being in relationships whereas I stayed at home and my social life declined dramatically due to not going out as much. I have recently enrolled to go on night course at uni to get a degree whilst still working during the day and hopefully meet new people. But I'm still afraid that I'll end up alone I know I'm only 22 but it's really getting me down and making me feel a bit depressed.
Reply 1
This is a very accurate account of my life...

Cheer up OP, you'll find your true love one day. Have you considered using dating sites or apps?
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
This is a very accurate account of my life...

Cheer up OP, you'll find your true love one day. Have you considered using dating sites or apps?

Yes I have but I've never had any luck
Honestly, don't get yourself down. (I hate to say this but) the same relationships you are envious about are the ones who break up a few years from now. I used to get jealous of people in relationships too, until I saw numerous people getting screwed over and I was the first person they called to cry on my shoulder. I was not envious after that.

OP, you don't know what goes on in those relationships. My bf used to tell me about how his ex "pestered" him to upload photos of her on his fb page etc.. showing the relationship as all smiley, and they would be arguing that same day.

Relationships do not equal "happy". And being single, does not equal "unhappy".

You do have lots of time to find someone etc - but that's not really what I want to focus on, I want to say the grass is not always greener. I know a few people who feel alone whilst in a relationship - trust me, that's worse.
Reply 4
Who cares with facebook and instagram your life is sorted :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Awww cheer up, you're still 22 which is very young and there are many many people out there who aren't in a relationship or nowhere near settling down at 22. Why don't you ask one of your friends to set you up with someone, like as a blind date. Or you could try online dating, not tinder, but match.com or something. What about in your job? Is there anyone there you like that you could get to know and flirt with? You could also start a a class eg salsa, make friends with your classmates and casually slide it into conversation if they have any single friends they could set you up with, obviously don't make it bait (I.e bringing it up very soon after you meet). Just try and meet different people, which I'm sure your night classes will help with anyways :smile:

thanks, i have tried blind dating before and it didn't work. As for my job it is a male dominated work place so there isnt anyone there i have recently joined a track and field team so i may meet someone there but its early days yet as i dont know everyone yet. i just feel im in a bit of a rut lately relationship wise.
Original post by Anonymous
thanks, i have tried blind dating before and it didn't work. As for my job it is a male dominated work place so there isnt anyone there i have recently joined a track and field team so i may meet someone there but its early days yet as i dont know everyone yet. i just feel im in a bit of a rut lately relationship wise.

If you ever find yourself sitting in a coffee shop or somewhere, and you see a girl is sat on her own I would just approach her and talk to her. Literally you have nothing to lose.

Also on another point make sure looks wise you are at your peak. I don't mind go and have plastic surgery or do anything radical but work out, have a good hairstyle, maybe some stubble cos a lot of girls love that, good hygiene etc etc. Just the little things
Everyone ends up alone.
Reply 8
Original post by Pinkberry_y
If you ever find yourself sitting in a coffee shop or somewhere, and you see a girl is sat on her own I would just approach her and talk to her. Literally you have nothing to lose.

Also on another point make sure looks wise you are at your peak. I don't mind go and have plastic surgery or do anything radical but work out, have a good hairstyle, maybe some stubble cos a lot of girls love that, good hygiene etc etc. Just the little things

Thats good advice about the coffee shop. As for my appearance I always make an appearance when I go out, I would say I tend to have a good fashion sense I dress normally not OTT I just tend to go out in t-shirt, slim fit jeans and converse. I always make sure I look good before I go out, if my shoes are muddy I clean them, I wax my hair, wear aftershave and have closely trimmed stubble.
I'm 22 and I'm afraid that I'm going to end up alone, all my friends are in relationships and moving in with their boyfriends/girlfriends whilst I'm still at home saving money to buy a house. Also a few of my friends are getting engaged which hasn't bothered me until my best friend told me yesterday that he is going to propose to his girlfriend it made me realise how alone I truly feel.

When I finished college I went straight into employment whilst all my friends moved away to uni and then they all came back being in relationships whereas I stayed at home and my social life declined dramatically due to not going out as much. I have recently enrolled to go on night course at uni to get a degree whilst still working during the day and hopefully meet new people. But I'm still afraid that I'll end up alone I know I'm only 22 but it's really getting me down and making me feel a bit depressed.

I feel exactley like you tbh. And I'm only 20, lol. The only way to change your situation is to throw yourself into the deep end. Go on dating sites, talk to the people in your class at Uni, go out w your friends and let them know that you want a bf/gf or w.e. And also, be CONFIDENT! Seriously, if you aren't confident and be all shy and quiet, no one will approach you. Saying that, guys and girls feel the same way too about approaching someone. Also, work on yourself if you think you should. For e.g., get your hair done, maybe cleanse your face regularly (you'll look more brighter and also clean) and excercise is you don't/don't feel like as if you need to do it more. Idk, I really hope this helped!

p.s if you think that not finding a love, then just remember that there are thousands of people out there who are in the same boat as you (including me, lololol). like you said, you want to buy a house, keep that as your motivation. That way you'll have something to look foward to and it'll be a distraction too! :smile:
Original post by cucumberhater
I feel exactley like you tbh. And I'm only 20, lol. The only way to change your situation is to throw yourself into the deep end. Go on dating sites, talk to the people in your class at Uni, go out w your friends and let them know that you want a bf/gf or w.e. And also, be CONFIDENT! Seriously, if you aren't confident and be all shy and quiet, no one will approach you. Saying that, guys and girls feel the same way too about approaching someone. Also, work on yourself if you think you should. For e.g., get your hair done, maybe cleanse your face regularly (you'll look more brighter and also clean) and excercise is you don't/don't feel like as if you need to do it more. Idk, I really hope this helped!

p.s if you think that not finding a love, then just remember that there are thousands of people out there who are in the same boat as you (including me, lololol). like you said, you want to buy a house, keep that as your motivation. That way you'll have something to look foward to and it'll be a distraction too! :smile:

For the work on yourself bit I already do all that especially the exercising bit I go to the gym everyday of the week. Maybe you're right about me buying a house I think using that as motivation would be a good way to distract myself.
Reply 11
22? My lord. If it's worth anything, virtually no one I know who was in a relationship at that age is still with the same person ten years later and some of them have children that they now have to either share custody of or are stuck alone with.

You need to think that having this freedom in your early 20s is a golden opportunity to really do the things you enjoy. If you want to travel - do it. If you want to stay out all night or just sit in all day in your underwear watching garbage TV - do it. For now, you don't have to consider anyone but yourself.

You will find someone eventually, but measuring your life against other people's lives will always leave you unhappy.

Go to Ibizia and party, and do whatever you like because you aren't in a relationship. While your friends can't do that because they don't have that much freedom
I feel the same bro. I hope my situation changes , because i dont konw what Im going to do if it doesnt. And remember if you ever feel alone, look up to the moon cause someone else is watching it too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending