The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chloeabeki
Unit 4 was, I think, the hardest Chem 4 paper we've had... I think the A* could be as low as 80, and maybe 70ish for an A
Chem 5 was nothing out of the ordinary so I think the grade boundaries will be similar to in previous years (maybe 85 for an A*, 75 for an A...)

Wow, thats the same grade boundaries that I think there will be :laugh:
My college is opening at 8:30am this year, so glad it's opening at that time so I can sort my place out quickly!

@PQ sorry for all the questions but do you have any idea what questions universities might ask you during Clearing if you get a mini-phone-interview? I've decided to go for the Bournemouth Advertising course as I completely love the place after yesterday. Some people might think I'm silly dropping an RG university for it but I don't care :biggrin:
Original post by emiloujess
My college is opening at 8:30am this year, so glad it's opening at that time so I can sort my place out quickly!

@PQ sorry for all the questions but do you have any idea what questions universities might ask you during Clearing if you get a mini-phone-interview? I've decided to go for the Bournemouth Advertising course as I completely love the place after yesterday. Some people might think I'm silly dropping an RG university for it but I don't care :biggrin:

My school opens at 8am, but I don't get my results til after 9 because I am getting AS results.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MahuduElec
I sat 7 modules this year, I found C3 and FP3 so strange and hard. Very inconsistent with the past papers. That C3 paper might prevent me from going to my firm as I need an a* :frown:

I thought that S1 and S2 were very standard and so found them easy.
I just messed up M2 by not understanding the last q and a few shoddy mistakes.
C4 was more standard, usually tricky, i think i got a solid 70 on that, and I found fp2 to be the usual difficultly (hard).

So really it seems only C3 FP3 and M3 (from what I've heard) were the only ridiculously hard/unusual papers. Still, it hurts knowing they* decided to **** with C3 this year, the unit usually used to pull up C4 for A*'s.

How about you, which units did you this year apart from core and M3? Did you find that all the papers were very strange or just a few?

I did C3, C4, M2, FP3, FP4 and M3. Overall I thought C4 and M2 weren't too bad, but gotta admit C3, FP3 and M3 were extremely strange. I know that 9.5 thousand people complained on a petition about C3 so I think that AQA will have to lower the boundaries. Its unfair though that they are completely messing with the maths papers this year, worried that i wont get the grades now because of their stupid unsual questions. M2 wasn't too bad but I know I didn't get the same answer as my friends so chances are the last question I did was wrong but did two sides of working. I need an A overall from units C3, C4 and M2, and i need a B from units M3, FP3, FP4. :/ But M3 was literally horrendous, my teacher only got to question 6 out of 8 in an hour and a half, so she has written a complaint letter to AQA, and one of my friends was crying during the exam because it was so strange and difficult. Also a student in my class who is planning on going to cambridge came out and said that he doesnt think he could even attempt the last question and said it was the hardest exam he has ever taken in his whole life.( and he never usually likes to admit things are hard)

The sad thing is, I don't even think the grade boundaries will be low enough this year to save my university place. Looks like a year of resitting for me.

what grades do you need?
Original post by breakfastbar333
Does 80 for an A* in unit 4 and 85 for an A* in unit 5 sound about right?

I hope so, honestly chem unit 4 was the hardest exam paper I've ever sat lol. I have a feeling it might bring me down from an A to a B ngl :/
Atleast the grade boundaries will defo be lower than last year, so just have to wait and see I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emiloujess

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16775-Four-things-you-should-say-in-the-Clearing-call-and-one-thing-you-definitely-shouldn-t is a pretty good overview.

Just be ready to talk about what you like about the course, the university and the city/town (and make sure you have done your research - ie don't say something about wanting to go to Bournemouth because of the ice rink (there isn't one) or mention modules that aren't offered).

If you're sure then it's worth contacting Cardiff (and your insurance if it is still on Track) today or tomorrow to start the process of getting placed into Clearing. Don't spend results morning on the phone to them trying to sort out the admin when you could be talking to bournemouth.

(glad you had a nice time - but I think the question we're all waiting to know is: did the dogs have fun :wink:)
Original post by PQ
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16775-Four-things-you-should-say-in-the-Clearing-call-and-one-thing-you-definitely-shouldn-t is a pretty good overview.

Just be ready to talk about what you like about the course, the university and the city/town (and make sure you have done your research - ie don't say something about wanting to go to Bournemouth because of the ice rink (there isn't one) or mention modules that aren't offered).

If you're sure then it's worth contacting Cardiff (and your insurance if it is still on Track) today or tomorrow to start the process of getting placed into Clearing. Don't spend results morning on the phone to them trying to sort out the admin when you could be talking to bournemouth.

(glad you had a nice time - but I think the question we're all waiting to know is: did the dogs have fun :wink:)

Haha I can't believe people talk about stuff that isn't there! I know the course pretty well (I read over and over it before even going to BU). I've also secured accommodation as it's with an external company. I did think about phoning Cardiff/Aber but Mum seems to be against me doing that :/

Yeah the dogs had a great time, this was the first time they went to the beach and we got stopped so many times - the staff on reception at BU loved them too! (I was waiting outside with them but my sister told me they wanted to see the dogs). It was also the first time I'd met Pickles (the darker one) and he's adorable!

. cookie.jpg
Original post by k.russell
I actually thought both went quite well?? from looking at the exam threads it seems like I did quite well on most of the questions people can remember so I guess that's good. People were saying the grade boundaries were gonna be really high for EEE and that was stressing me out a bit but I don't think it was easier than last years tbh. In general I find, people think somethings easy until they have their mistakes pointed out lol

Yeah! They were definitely better than I expected, although I'm still wary, especially for grade boundaries for EEE (I'm used to saying f325 haha). There were defo some unusual questions though, like the one about pH at 60°C or something and I'm certain I've lost marks on sig figs and some signs and balancing...
Anyone done OCR Biology F214/F215 exams? What do you think grade boundaries would be like for an A?
Original post by Emi1998
I did C3, C4, M2, FP3, FP4 and M3. Overall I thought C4 and M2 weren't too bad, but gotta admit C3, FP3 and M3 were extremely strange. I know that 9.5 thousand people complained on a petition about C3 so I think that AQA will have to lower the boundaries. Its unfair though that they are completely messing with the maths papers this year, worried that i wont get the grades now because of their stupid unsual questions. M2 wasn't too bad but I know I didn't get the same answer as my friends so chances are the last question I did was wrong but did two sides of working. I need an A overall from units C3, C4 and M2, and i need a B from units M3, FP3, FP4. :/ But M3 was literally horrendous, my teacher only got to question 6 out of 8 in an hour and a half, so she has written a complaint letter to AQA, and one of my friends was crying during the exam because it was so strange and difficult. Also a student in my class who is planning on going to cambridge came out and said that he doesnt think he could even attempt the last question and said it was the hardest exam he has ever taken in his whole life.( and he never usually likes to admit things are hard)

The sad thing is, I don't even think the grade boundaries will be low enough this year to save my university place. Looks like a year of resitting for me.

what grades do you need?

Damn that M3 really was horrendous huh. Glad I chose to do fp3 instead of m3 as my extra module. Feel really bad for people, like yourself, who depend on m3 for their overall grades. It's such bs imo that exam boards can pull this stuff off and get away with it.

I need an A* in maths, so 90 avg in C3 and C4, and 15 ums in an applied (lol).

Only need AA in f maths and physics, and thanks to my AS ums, in fm I just need to avg 200 ums over 3 of the 4 modules I took. And mid E's in my physics exams lol.

Hey, at least FP4 was standard this year, from what I heard. Btw, any reason you didn't sit any stats or decision? Maybe you did S1/D1 at AS? But no A2?

Also, pray to the aqa lords for a good grade boundary day!! Imagine C3 is like 70 for an A*, truly ****ed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DDan123
I hope so, honestly chem unit 4 was the hardest exam paper I've ever sat lol. I have a feeling it might bring me down from an A to a B ngl :/
Atleast the grade boundaries will defo be lower than last year, so just have to wait and see I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah unit 4 was terrible
Everyone ready for results day?
Original post by MahuduElec
Also, pray to the aqa lords for a good grade boundary day!!

I can recommend doing this, this worked well for Physics last year.
Original post by bishbashbosh123
Anyone done OCR Biology F214/F215 exams? What do you think grade boundaries would be like for an A?

Hey! I did. Thought f214 was pretty good but a lot of people said it was hard. F215 was a weird paper but overall okay i think.
Been a while since the exams but would guess that for an A:

F214 = 45
F214 = 73 approx

Probs not correct, just what I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by breakfastbar333
Does 80 for an A* in unit 4 and 85 for an A* in unit 5 sound about right?

Spot on, I'd say that +/-1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ayaz789

Physically I am, but mentally?? Nah. Are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ayaz789

Yes and no. I'm not on board with the wait. But, if it was just tomorrow, I'd be ready and eager to find out.
Original post by marioman
I can recommend doing this, this worked well for Physics last year.

Any specific verses to recite during the ritual?
Hmm you could be right!

I found both exams extremely hard, especially F215 was so hard to understand because of its ecology questions which I hated. I just really hope the examiners were generous in marking our answers!

Is it normal to have a large variation between grade boundaries? Usually it's like 6 marks apart. I guess we will see on the 17th

Original post by Elliot_97
Hey! I did. Thought f214 was pretty good but a lot of people said it was hard. F215 was a weird paper but overall okay i think.
Been a while since the exams but would guess that for an A:

F214 = 45
F214 = 73 approx

Probs not correct, just what I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest