The Student Room Group

Downgrade from Russel Group?

I am thinking of applying to a computer science MSc conversion course. I got a First in Philosophy from the University of Birmingham, but have no maths related experience really, apart from with logic in philosophy. Because of this I doubt (I may be wrong here) that I could get into a decent University again, e.g. Bath or Bristol.

My question is: how much will this matter? Are teaching standards and the like a lot worse in lower tier Universities, and do employers look down on them?

Scroll to see replies

....you don't deserve a degree with such narrow mindedness.
Did you do a-level maths?
Reply 3
Original post by AccountingBabe
....you don't deserve a degree with such narrow mindedness.

University rankings exist for a reason...
Original post by seal36

Some non RG uni's rank higher than some RG... what's your point?
Reply 5
Original post by tanyapotter
Did you do a-level maths?

No A-level maths, no. I know people who managed to convert without it, though
Original post by seal36
No A-level maths, no. I know people who managed to convert without it, though

There's your answer then - if they can then you should also be able to.
Btw, Bath is not an RG uni :smile:
Original post by seal36

To sell newspapers.

99.9% of employers don't know or care about rankings.
If you meet the entry requirements you'll be fine. Don't worry about rankings as people have said before. Russell group = research intensive uni which means nothing to an undergrad and very little to a taught masters student.
Original post by Duncan2012
To sell newspapers.

Or... to rank universities. And I'll never understand why people use "but employers don't care!!" as a rebutal. So?? If I'm paying 9k a year then i want to go to the best place i can. The employer not minding doesn't mean i have to settle for worse. He/she also won't mind if I go to a high ranked uni.
Original post by lucabrasi98
Or... to rank universities. And I'll never understand why people use "but employers don't care!!" as a rebutal. So?? If I'm paying 9k a year then i want to go to the best place i can. The employer not minding doesn't mean i have to settle for worse. He/she also won't mind if I go to a high ranked uni.

Different organisations will take into account lots of different factors when calculating rankings which may or may not affect your time at uni. A higher ranking doesn't mean that the uni and/or course is right for you and what you're looking for. This is why employers don't care about rankings. People think that going to a higher ranked uni improves their employability by default which is not true. That's why people like Duncan2012 among others on here with experience with this sort of thing keep on about rankings not making a difference.
I don't think uni rank matters tbh unless you're doing a specific subject (law eg). People just like to go to higher ranked unis just bc they're ranked higher. Teaching standards should be the same .
Original post by alleycat393
Different organisations will take into account lots of different factors when calculating rankings which may or may not affect your time at uni. A higher ranking doesn't mean that the uni and/or course is right for you and what you're looking for. This is why employers don't care about rankings. People think that going to a higher ranked uni improves their employability by default which is not true. That's why people like Duncan2012 among others on here with experience with this sort of thing keep on about rankings not making a difference.

I've already acknowledged that it doesn't matter that much to employers (or not matter at all the case of certain degrees). All I'm saying is that's not an excuse to not use rankings as a guideline so I'm not sure why it's brought up. No one has time to visit every uni in the country.

I visited about 9 before settling on 1 since I had way too much free time. That was tiring enough. Many people visit 1-4. Some aren't in a position where they can visit at all. It's why I find it annoying how anyone
who brings up using rankings is dismissed. As long as you're using a combination of them+ checking what each website uses in their rankings, you'll be fine. If you really want then you can choose to rank using employability
I went to Warwick and studied maths, a course in which a large proportion of graduates (over 20%) only achieve a 2.2 or a third. A few of them have told me that they really regretted going there in the end because, although they were incredibly bright A level students, they ended up with a 2.2 (or worse) and the realisation that, from their point of view, interviewers seemingly didn't really care about how they challenged themselves for their undergraduate.

In other words OP, it seems like the academic level of your chosen university won't have much bearing on your job prospects (in a good way, for you).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by seal36
I am thinking of applying to a computer science MSc conversion course. I got a First in Philosophy from the University of Birmingham, but have no maths related experience really, apart from with logic in philosophy. Because of this I doubt (I may be wrong here) that I could get into a decent University again, e.g. Bath or Bristol.

My question is: how much will this matter? Are teaching standards and the like a lot worse in lower tier Universities, and do employers look down on them?

What universities offer such a conversion course for candidates without A-level math?
Original post by Duncan2012
To sell newspapers.

99.9% of employers don't know or care about rankings.

People are aware of differences between high and low ranked universities. Because the quality of work you are expected to produce differs greatly.

I don't go to exactly an amazing uni, but it is a Russell Group (Cardiff) and the work demands are a lot more than say Cardiff Met, or Glamorgan Uni. And employers do know the difference.

They don't care about small differences between unis, so the rankings don't make any difference in that regard, but say the difference between a bottom ranked uni and a middle ground uni, and again a middle ground uni and a top uni, they do note the difference.
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
I don't think uni rank matters tbh unless you're doing a specific subject (law eg). People just like to go to higher ranked unis just bc they're ranked higher. Teaching standards should be the same .

How can people say this, they aren't!!

How can teaching standards be the same for a university which requires the equivalent of CCD at A-level compared to one which requires AAA? That makes absolutely no sense because universities aim to have similar pass rates, similar proportions of Firsts, 2:1s, 2:2s etc. If the standards at a bottom ranked uni with low entry requirements were the same as a top uni with high entry requirements, the pass rate would be a lot lower for the bottom ranking uni. But in reality it isn't.

Please people, use some common sense. University degrees are not standardised like A-levels.
Reply 17
Name the Unis you are looking at as non RG options. As the previous posters said, ranking doesn't matter so much (I don't fully agree with this as some unis with a good name and ranking are at an advantage, Imperial, Oxbridge, LSE and even UCL). However, I don't think that with your current experience in a scientific field would allow you to successfully follow a Comp Sci course. Getting a 2:1 should be the goal, so aim at a place where that would be easily achievable.
The differenrce in rankings doesn't mean the lectures are more difficult (except Oxbridge and Imperial) but it does mean the assignments and exams are harder. An ex-student from my school who just finished his 2nd year at Imperial (Mathematics) recalls memorizing 153 (exact number given by him) proofs for his 1st year finals. Guy got 3 A* and an A at a level but struggled at Imperial. He did get a First in the 1st year but it was through sweat, tears, blood and even more tears.
Went off on a tangent there but I think you should go for what is easier and more convenient for you.
Original post by seal36

Original post by Twinpeaks
How can people say this, they aren't!!

How can teaching standards be the same for a university which requires the equivalent of CCD at A-level compared to one which requires AAA? That makes absolutely no sense because universities aim to have similar pass rates, similar proportions of Firsts, 2:1s, 2:2s etc. If the standards at a bottom ranked uni with low entry requirements were the same as a top uni with high entry requirements, the pass rate would be a lot lower for the bottom ranking uni. But in reality it isn't.

Please people, use some common sense. University degrees are not standardised like A-levels.

You're right - the teaching standards at universities accepting students with CCD at A level tend to be a lot better than those taking AAA students who have a better grounding in the subject and likely have better independent study skills already.

You are wrong about universities aiming to have similar pass rates - they don't. See the "Good honours" and completion columns here: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Good+Honours&v=wide
Original post by PQ
You're right - the teaching standards at universities accepting students with CCD at A level tend to be a lot better than those taking AAA students who have a better grounding in the subject and likely have better independent study skills already.

You are wrong about universities aiming to have similar pass rates - they don't. See the "Good honours" and completion columns here: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Good+Honours&v=wide

Yes, the teaching standards are 'better' in that they are more similar to college classes. Much more personable, and access to support is much greater.
What I meant was the standards of work are better. And the content is better, more advanced, more cutting edge. A lot more is expected for those at higher ranking unis.

Latest

Trending

Trending