The Student Room Group

Why do you get a stencil in maths sets?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Devify
10mm is 1cm. 1cm is 2 squares on normal squared paper. It's not that big. There could also be smaller stencils, they could be used to teach how to write them in free-hand. Considering it was added in 70s it could be used to make sure all students have a way of writing it properly considering how many people lacked primary education.

1970's not 1870's
Reply 61
Original post by Joinedup
1970's not 1870's

I'm not talking about white privileged kids. Even then there were a lot of kids who did not get the opportunity. Also*the school leaving age was raised to 16 Only in the 70s. Meaning that kids may have had to leave earlier to help support the family the same way that some still leave at 16 to help support theirs. Who may want to continue their education later when it becomes more accessible. The statistics show that around 1970 less than 40% 16yo's continued to further education while in 2008 it was a bit below 90%. Just because it's not that long ago doesn't mean that a lot hasn't changed
Original post by Devify
I'm not talking about white privileged kids. Even then there were a lot of kids who did not get the opportunity. Also*the school leaving age was raised to 16 Only in the 70s. Meaning that kids may have had to leave earlier to help support the family the same way that some still leave at 16 to help support theirs. Who may want to continue their education later when it becomes more accessible. The statistics show that around 1970 less than 40% 16yo's continued to further education while in 2008 it was a bit below 90%. Just because it's not that long ago doesn't mean that a lot hasn't changed

By 16 they shouldn't need stencils tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Personally I don't think anyone who needs to use a stencil to learn how to write letters or numbers correctly would also require a full maths set with compass and protractor.I'd say one step at a time, let's learn the basics (writing letters and numbers) before we think about getting more advanced mathematical equipment.
Original post by bigoliver
Personally I don't think anyone who needs to use a stencil to learn how to write letters or numbers correctly would also require a full maths set with compass and protractor.I'd say one step at a time, let's learn the basics (writing letters and numbers) before we think about getting more advanced mathematical equipment.

lmao, your dry humour is brilliant.
Hi Oliver

Thank you - “The 10mm lettering stencil was included in the Oxford Maths Set in the 1970’s. It is still seen as a relevant part of the maths set as a general education item. Even with the introduction of word processors and computer technology into the classroom this component is still viewed as an appropriate piece to include in our maths sets.”

From
Maped Helix UK
Reply 66
Original post by Maped Helix UK
Hi Oliver

Thank you - “The 10mm lettering stencil was included in the Oxford Maths Set in the 1970’s. It is still seen as a relevant part of the maths set as a general education item. Even with the introduction of word processors and computer technology into the classroom this component is still viewed as an appropriate piece to include in our maths sets.”

From
Maped Helix UK

But what would students in the 1970s have used the stencils for?

If they are still seen as a relevant part of a maths set, please can you give me an example of when in maths, an alphabet stencil could be useful?

Nobody seems to have have ever used then whilst studying maths

Regards,

Oliver
But what would students in the 1970s have used the stencils for?

I was a maths student in the 1970s and can testify that pretty much the only things that stencils were used for in those days was writing ransom notes and (for the bendy plastic ones) flicking bits of chewed up paper across the room. Even then, plastic rulers were much more effective for the latter.
I have that exact one :cry2:
Original post by the bear
OK now we have sorted out the stencil problem.... when did anyone ever use one of these ?

oxfordmaths2.jpg

They're called set-squares.

One of them is a right-angled isosceles triangle (90 degrees, 45 degrees and 45 degrees), and the other is half an equilateral triangle (90 degrees, 60 degrees and 30 degrees).

You can use them for drawing commonly needed angles (15 degrees, 30 degrees, 45 degrees, 60 degrees, 75 degrees, 90 degrees etc.) more quickly and accurately than if you used a protractor, either by using them individually or by combining them together.
Reply 70
Original post by Gregorius
I was a maths student in the 1970s and can testify that pretty much the only things that stencils were used for in those days was writing ransom notes and (for the bendy plastic ones) flicking bits of chewed up paper across the room. Even then, plastic rulers were much more effective for the latter.

Lol, looks like I'll never get to find out what mathematical use the stencil has.
What was the answer from the manufacturers?
What about people that might use it in junior school or on an art or technical drawing course?
Funny thing to get uptight about.
Reply 72
Original post by 999tigger
What was the answer from the manufacturers?
What about people that might use it in junior school or on an art or technical drawing course?
Funny thing to get uptight about.

The manufacturers replied on this thread today.

I have been studying maths for a while now and wanted to know why a stencil is included with maths sets as I've never used one, I've asked others no one can give a satisfactory answer.
I thought I might be doing maths the hard way and the stencil could help me with my maths if I knew what it is for.

I understand how a stencil could be useful in art and that it could have many uses, just I fail to see any mathematical use and they are included in maths sets which I guess are primary aimed at GCSE maths students.

I haven't meant to come across "uptight", this thread was suppose to be light harted and I hope it has been funny at times.

On a more serious note, I have to see waste. I have now decided to bin my stencil as I have no use for it, judging by other replies here I guess most maths students do the same. Helix state that they have sold over 100million of these maths sets, that's a lot of plastic to end up in landfill.
The manufacturers replied on this thread today.

I have been studying maths for a while now and wanted to know why a stencil is included with maths sets as I've never used one, I've asked others no one can give a satisfactory answer.
I thought I might be doing maths the hard way and the stencil could help me with my maths if I knew what it is for.

I understand how a stencil could be useful in art and that it could have many uses, just I fail to see any mathematical use and they are included in maths sets which I guess are primary aimed at GCSE maths students.

I haven't meant to come across "uptight", this thread was suppose to be light harted and I hope it has been funny at times.

On a more serious note, I have to see waste. I have now decided to bin my stencil as I have no use for it, judging by other replies here I guess most maths students do the same. Helix state that they have sold over 100million of these maths sets, that's a lot of plastic to end up in landfill.

Which number post is the manufacturers reply?
Think they do a version of the maths set without the stencil.- value set

Obviously there is no deep mathematical use for it, just a convenient way of reproducing uniform letters and numbers.

Its not unknown if you are at school to do more than one subject in a day.

I think they are a bit oudated these days becayse people have computers and printers so printing large fonts is easy.
Reply 74
Original post by 999tigger
Which number post is the manufacturers reply?
Think they do a version of the maths set without the stencil.- value set

Obviously there is no deep mathematical use for it, just a convenient way of reproducing uniform letters and numbers.

Its not unknown if you are at school to do more than one subject in a day.

I think they are a bit oudated these days becayse people have computers and printers so printing large fonts is easy.

Here is the post from Helix...
Original post by Maped Helix UK
Hi Oliver Thank you - “The 10mm lettering stencil was included in the Oxford Maths Set in the 1970’s. It is still seen as a relevant part of the maths set as a general education item. Even with the introduction of word processors and computer technology into the classroom this component is still viewed as an appropriate piece to include in our maths sets.” From Maped Helix UK
The maths set you found has a plastic compass, IMHO the metal ones are much better, perhaps it's just me, but the plastics ones tend to bend.The set I bought was only around £2.20 delivered from Amazon, better value than sets without the stencil oddly enough. This is why I buy sets with stencils it just seems a shame later throwing the stencils away. If you do find a set with metal compass but without the stencil for the same price or less, I would be interested.I understand that pupils do other subjects and if that's why it's included for fair enough, it's advertised as a maths set but perhaps like you suggest it's a study set for multiple subjects.
Reply 75
Yeah they are great for poster, but that's more art again.

Ok sure, you could be doing a poster about maths, but I don't like that. It's like saying we included a paintbrush incase you want to paint a mathematical picture lol.
Reply 76
I left secondary school 22 years ago, but I only ever remember using a stencil at primary school tbh.

I know that during my gcse maths study last year and now A level maths study I have found no need for the stencil.
I just wondered what mathematical reason there might be for a stencil.

I trying to find a purpose for my mathematical equipment, I'm not saying it isn't useful for Art, posters, ransom letters, baking, teaching children the alphabet, etc.
I just assumed, perhaps wrongly, they would be a more mathematical reason to include a stencil in a maths set :smile:
To give it to your younger siblings for them to realise that it has no use as well.
Reply 78
I suppose this part of manufacturers, Helix, answers says it all...

"general education item"

...so not specifically for maths, infact nothing at all to do with maths.
If your only studying maths you might as well throw it in the bin!

Plastic is very bad for the environment, so much so that the government introduced a 5p plastic bag charge. Helix could do their bit by not providing stencils with every maths set, but insted selling stencils seperatly to the few, very creative people who are able to think of a use for them
Here is the post from Helix...
The maths set you found has a plastic compass, IMHO the metal ones are much better, perhaps it's just me, but the plastics ones tend to bend.The set I bought was only around £2.20 delivered from Amazon, better value than sets without the stencil oddly enough. This is why I buy sets with stencils it just seems a shame later throwing the stencils away. If you do find a set with metal compass but without the stencil for the same price or less, I would be interested.I understand that pupils do other subjects and if that's why it's included for fair enough, it's advertised as a maths set but perhaps like you suggest it's a study set for multiple subjects.

I saw one with a stencil in B&M's for £1.00 yesterday and wondered how you were getting on. Thanks for the update.

Where I think you've really been juked is the plastic pencil sharpener. metal pencil sharpeners are traditionally made of magnesium (apart from the blade & screw), and if you file the corner off one you get a lovely little pile of magnesium flakes which will burn very prettily.

don't try that at home... or at school... or anywhere else
joinedup's comments are for entertainment purposes only

Quick Reply

Latest