The Student Room Group

Help with A level maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uni12345678
I have no idea if this is correct or not, but...

EDIT : sorry just realised the last part is a little wrong , b squared - 4ac = -2 squared - 4(1)(-root10) so should be 4 + 4root10 so still 2 real roots but not 16 + 4root10

Wouldn't it be x2(x2)2=10x(x2)=±10x^2(x-2)^2=10 \rightarrow x(x-2)=\pm\sqrt{10}? Then you continue while taking into account two cases in which it's either negative and positive roots of 10. The one you used shows 2 real roots and the other will show that the other 2 are imaginary.
(edited 7 years ago)
Isn't it a necessity that the number of roots = the degree of the equation?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by oShahpo
Isn't it a necessity that the number of roots = the number of solutions to the equation?

Since roots and solutions are more or less precisely the same thing, then yeah. Not sure why you're asking though.
Original post by RDKGames
Wouldn't it be x2(x2)2=10x(x2)=±10x^2(x-2)^2=10 \rightarrow x(x-2)=\pm\sqrt{10}? Then you continue while taking into account two cases in which it's either negative root 10 and positive root 10? The one you used shows 2 real roots and the other will show that the other 2 are imaginary.

Yeah sorry I forgot to include negative root10, you're right
The answer is still 2 real roots because the other two would be imaginary
Original post by Zacken
Since roots and solutions are more or less precisely the same thing, then yeah. Not sure why you're asking though.

The answer must obviously be 4 then, without needing to find the roots.
*EDIT: I meant the number of roots = the degree of the equation. Apologies.
Is the number of roots necessarily equal the degree of the equation?
Reply 25
Original post by oShahpo

"How many real roots..."
Original post by oShahpo
Isn't it a necessity that the number of roots = the number of solutions to the equation?

Yes, in other words, how many times would the graph cross the x axis
There are different types of roots and generally only ask real roots rather than imaginary (like root negative 10 is imaginary because you cannot square root a negative number)
Original post by oShahpo

Yes, but the question asks for real roots so we need to take into account how many are imaginary and how many real out of all those that there are.
Original post by oShahpo

What is the degree of the equation? Sorry
Reply 29
Original post by Bath~Student
Lovely - all correct.

Nope, might want to read more carefully next time.
Yes, but the question asks for real roots so we need to take into account how many are imaginary and how many real out of all those that there are.

Oh, I see. Missed that bit. Thanks.
Btw, do you know the proof for this statement? Do you have a link or something?
What is the degree of the equation? Sorry

Degree of the polynomial is the highest exponent. The question has a polynomial of degree order 4.
Yes, in other words, how many times would the graph cross the x axis
There are different types of roots and generally only ask real roots rather than imaginary (like root negative 10 is imaginary because you cannot square root a negative number)

Sorry I mistyped, I fixed my comment though.
Original post by Zacken

ahh, it's always the subtleties with me.
Original post by Zacken

Ahahahahha burn
Reply 35
Original post by oShahpo

Yes, as long as the coefficients of the polynomial are real, then the Fundamental theorem of Algebra forces every nnth degree polynomial to have nn roots in C\mathbb{C}, it all falls out from C\mathbb{C} being the algebraic closure of R\mathbb{R} but the proof(s) uses relatively advanced concepts.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
Ahahahahha burn

That said, I like your method (once fixed) very much. Good on you for spotting it.
Degree of the polynomial is the highest exponent. The question has a polynomial of degree order 4.

Oh right thanks so is that always the same as the total number of roots (including both real and imaginary) ?
Original post by Zacken
That said, I like your method (once fixed) very much. Good on you for spotting it.

Thank you :smile: feel clever today loll💁🏻
Oh right thanks so is that always the same as the total number of roots (including both real and imaginary) ?

Yes the degree equals the total number of roots; real + imaginary. But as Zacken stated, the coefficients need to be real, which they are in this case and many others.

Quick Reply

Latest