The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Where and how does it all start?

Hello, this forum has already helped me with a few of my queries so I'm turning to you again!

I, like many others probably, start my course on Saturday 1st October this year. I am studying towards a degree in Criminology and Psychology, and have already selected my first module, DD103 Investigating the social world. I am really excited, but as it gets nearer I get more nervous too (8 weeks to go!)

My current panic is, what happens on that day?? I log into my studenthome account and what? Do I have an online lesson? How does it all begin?!
I feel like I'm going to get thrown in at the deep end and I don't know what to be expecting.
My question is, commonly, what happens on the first day of your course? How does it begin, and what's the process from that point?

I have already been brushing up on my study skills and research, note taking etc - whilst doing a free 8 week course in forensic psychology on OpenLearn and I'm really enjoying it. So I'm not too nervous with that, it's just now a fear of the unknown.

Many thanks in advance for any help, advice and answers in general! :biggrin:X
Original post by _hmelli
Hello, this forum has already helped me with a few of my queries so I'm turning to you again!

I, like many others probably, start my course on Saturday 1st October this year. I am studying towards a degree in Criminology and Psychology, and have already selected my first module, DD103 Investigating the social world. I am really excited, but as it gets nearer I get more nervous too (8 weeks to go!)

My current panic is, what happens on that day?? I log into my studenthome account and what? Do I have an online lesson? How does it all begin?!
I feel like I'm going to get thrown in at the deep end and I don't know what to be expecting.
My question is, commonly, what happens on the first day of your course? How does it begin, and what's the process from that point?

I have already been brushing up on my study skills and research, note taking etc - whilst doing a free 8 week course in forensic psychology on OpenLearn and I'm really enjoying it. So I'm not too nervous with that, it's just now a fear of the unknown.

Many thanks in advance for any help, advice and answers in general! :biggrin:X

You will have access to a "website" (access from Student Home) for each of your modules. The website will have a "study plan" - it'll say something like "Week 1 (starting Oct 1) - read introduction of (book), complete activities 1.1 and 1.2". Obviously that's just an example, but basically, it'll tell you what to cover in your books and/or CDs and DVDs, and any activities to complete.
Your books should have arrived already - if they haven't a week or two before your course starts, speak to Student Services about it. You'll have access to your Module Websites before your course starts - all of mine open on Sept 7th. You can find out when they open from Student Home when you sign into the OU website.

Basically, you'll have everything you need to just start studying on October 1st.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by stripystockings
You will have access to a "website" (access from Student Home) for each of your modules. The website will have a "study plan" - it'll say something like "Week 1 (starting Oct 1) - read introduction of (book), complete activities 1.1 and 1.2". Obviously that's just an example, but basically, it'll tell you what to cover in your books and/or CDs and DVDs, and any activities to complete.
Your books should have arrived already - if they haven't a week or two before your course starts, speak to Student Services about it. You'll have access to your Module Websites before your course starts - all of mine open on Sept 7th. You can find out when they open from Student Home when you sign into the OU website.

Basically, you'll have everything you need to just start studying on October 1st.

Thank you! That is really helpful, I feel calmer now.
My module website opens on Sept 8th and I believe that whatever books I need are being sent out to me on the 24th of this month, I definitely read that on my studenthome page.

Thanks again, feel better knowing what to expect x
Original post by _hmelli
Thank you! That is really helpful, I feel calmer now.
My module website opens on Sept 8th and I believe that whatever books I need are being sent out to me on the 24th of this month, I definitely read that on my studenthome page.

Thanks again, feel better knowing what to expect x

You're welcome! Good luck with your module!
Just to add to this, because you have access to the site and the materials prior to October, you can actually get started before then if you want to. It's definitely a good idea to familiarise yourself with where everything on the course site is, of nothing else.
Reply 5
Original post by Persipan
Just to add to this, because you have access to the site and the materials prior to October, you can actually get started before then if you want to. It's definitely a good idea to familiarise yourself with where everything on the course site is, of nothing else.

Oh thats good to know too, thanks alot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending