The Student Room Group

When you're depressed and nothing helps

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone live with depression that won't go away?

Yes.

I have dysthymia, chronic depression. Soon I will be attempting my sixth medication (for other mental health issues; I have been on all those medications you have mentioned). I am not on a waiting list for therapy due to the severity of my PDs and that there is a fear that it might make me worse.

Turning to 'other drugs' will not solve anything. It might not be an escape. It could possibly make things worse. Please don't make it a solution. Even if you try, and then you come down from a high etc, at the end of the day you will still remember the depression you're horribly, unfortunately. suffering through. Other drugs won't help you at all.

I know what it feels like to be alone. I know what it feels like to having a crushing sense of loneliness just suddenly overwhelm you. I know what it is like to wake up in the middle of night and find myself having cried in my sleep. I know what it is like to cry myself to sleep.

Medication, therapy, self help etc, they are all trial and error. Like I have said, I will be trying my sixth mental health medication in a year and a half. Thing is though, neither of us can stop trying. We just have to keep trying. Even if we waste the rest of our lives trying to chase a happiness that might not even exist for either of us. The point is, we have both tried. This might sound insanely patronising, I'm sorry.
Medication, therapy, mindfulness, self-help, I've seriously tried it all. And I don't know what to do anymore. The depression is getting worse and everyone's first instinct is to seek help but what happens once you've done that and it hasn't gotten better. The depression is consuming me and I'm not myself anymore, I've lost my 'me-ness'.

So I've lost (most) hope but a part of me wants to believe that something can be done, but there isn't. I'm honestly thinking of turning to drugs :/

You cna get out of it but its not overnight. Good friends and talking helps.
I would suggest literally adopting various strageies and beigin by taking it one day at a time to just survive.

If you havent sought help then you gavent really begun yet. Do so asap even if its talking to friends parents or the samaritans.
It's not the antidepressants that will cure you. It's the moment you say "I ain't livin' like this no more, time to get my life back" that cures you.
Yes, it's definitely something that won't go away and sometimes even treatment such as drugs doesn't help. If you've already tried counceilling and drugs you could look for other ways to take your mind off of it on the bad days. Having a support system would definitely help so try support groups or confiding in someone you trust whenever you feel this way. Ive also heard exercise and diet changes can really help. For me I try to stay a bit more relaxed by taking regular breaks if i'm working or doing relaxing activities such as writing painting or just watching movies. Set yourself small goals each day and aim to accomplish most of them.
For depression:

Fluoxetine
Sertraline
Mirtazipine
Quetiapine

Are they all SSRIs?

Sadly I don't think you can get Bupropion in Britain. An NDRI may have worked differently for you.
Reply 25
Original post by stefano865
Are they all SSRIs?

Sadly I don't think you can get Bupropion in Britain. An NDRI may have worked differently for you.

Quetiapine is an atypical antipyschotic. However it can be used alongside an antidepressant to treat depression, which I suspect was the case here. The rest are SSRIs, and are the most common ones for depression.
Original post by Airmed
Yes.

I have dysthymia, chronic depression. Soon I will be attempting my sixth medication (for other mental health issues; I have been on all those medications you have mentioned). I am not on a waiting list for therapy due to the severity of my PDs and that there is a fear that it might make me worse.

Turning to 'other drugs' will not solve anything. It might not be an escape. It could possibly make things worse. Please don't make it a solution. Even if you try, and then you come down from a high etc, at the end of the day you will still remember the depression you're horribly, unfortunately. suffering through. Other drugs won't help you at all.

I know what it feels like to be alone. I know what it feels like to having a crushing sense of loneliness just suddenly overwhelm you. I know what it is like to wake up in the middle of night and find myself having cried in my sleep. I know what it is like to cry myself to sleep.

Medication, therapy, self help etc, they are all trial and error. Like I have said, I will be trying my sixth mental health medication in a year and a half. Thing is though, neither of us can stop trying. We just have to keep trying. Even if we waste the rest of our lives trying to chase a happiness that might not even exist for either of us. The point is, we have both tried. This might sound insanely patronising, I'm sorry.

Really admire your courage. :smile:

A friend of my Dad's with Bipolar disorder is pretty much kept alive by medication. It doesn't make anything okay for him. His life will always be one of extremes.

Acceptance is the only way I guess.
Original post by Airmed
Quetiapine is an atypical antipyschotic. However it can be used alongside an antidepressant to treat depression, which I suspect was the case here. The rest are SSRIs, and are the most common ones for depression.

Ah ok.

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 28
Really admire your courage. :smile:

A friend of my Dad's with Bipolar disorder is pretty much kept alive by medication. It doesn't make anything okay for him. His life will always be one of extremes.

Acceptance is the only way I guess.

Thanks. :colondollar:

I have a few mental health illnesses, and for a long time I hated myself because of them. I still do, but perhaps not so much. Acceptance is always needed in such things, and that is what I am slowly working on myself. I'll never be normal, I will never be fully cured, and I just have to deal with that.
Are they all SSRIs?

Mirtazipine isn't an SSRI, neither is Quetiapine. My doctor told me you can get it in the UK but they rarely prescribe it, I forgot the reason why.

Original post by Airmed

Yes.

I'm tired of giving myself false hope. I'm literally so low and depressed, it's not even sadness anymore. I'm empty on the inside. I rarely cry even. I just feel so ready to give up.
I find ignorance helps.

Quick Reply

Latest