The Student Room Group

Hundreds of anti-terror 'Hercules' robocops sent to patrol Britain's streets

Police are sending hundreds of heavily armed 'robocops' onto Britain's streets as part of plans to beef-up security following a spate of deadly terrorist attacks across Europe.

The 600 "Hercules" officers will guards major landmarks across London - decked out in bullet proof vests and helmets and armed with automatic weapons and heavy duty military-grade equipment, including sniper rifles.

The highly trained marksmen are protected with massive 'riot shields' and kevlar body armour and are able to speed to a potential deadly attack on grey scrambler bikes.

They will be trained to operate on water, and to abseil down onto buildings and also have state of the art support equipment including tasers, battering rams, and heavy cutting gear.

Metropolitan Police Service commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe and London Mayor Sadiq Khan announced the start of Operation Hercules, which will work alongside national plans to have 1,500 extra armed officers across Britain.

Read More:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hundreds-anti-terror-hercules-robocops-8550190
I'm fine with this.
Personally, I think fast response motorbike units modelled on the Israeli Yasam would be the way to go. I feel that target hardening public areas with more or less static heavily armed police will move attackers to softer targets, rather than prevent altogether.
Reply 3
A+ on the reporter's dramatic writing ability, maybe they should consider a job in theatre.
I wonder how they'll do against hot weather
You're more likely to get struck by lightning or die from a bee sting than die in a terrorist attack, but all the government need to do is say "terrorists" and people will let them get away with whatever they want.
So the Hercules is back, to fight the middle east invaders?

It's interesting, how powerfull Greek culture turned out to be. Overhelmed by religion from a different language group, most of works ever created by Greeks were destroyed, and it still inspires and is present in every day life.
It's a shame though that we lost so much time for wars and arguments on things that cannot be prooved, and it looks it's just a beggining.
Original post by JordanL_
You're more likely to get struck by lightning or die from a bee sting than die in a terrorist attack, but all the government need to do is say "terrorists" and people will let them get away with whatever they want.

Death in a terror attack may be much more unlikely than other events - but a terror attack is harmful in more ways. E.g. there will be an economic impact as people will be scared to go out in fear of copycat attacks.

AKA You thinking trying to stop little children getting mangled under the wheels of lorries isn't worth it.

From your previous posts, I gather that you are left-wing? Whilst as an individual the chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are small, if any major attack like which happened in Paris happened in London, it would assist the growth of the far right. Surely it would be in your interest politically to prevent any such attack happening, and if it does happen, to ensure it is dealt with quickly and the death toll is as small as possible?
Original post by Tabstercat
Death in a terror attack may be much more unlikely than other events - but a terror attack is harmful in more ways. E.g. there will be an economic impact as people will be scared to go out in fear of copycat attacks.

This. I've canceled my holiday to France this summer because of the things happening there and I don't plan to have a holiday abroad this year anymore. I was considering a short break to London but the idea of getting on the packed tube in the hot weather is bad enough before I even factor in the high terror threat. So BBQ in the garden with my friends and family and a good film instead :smile:. Too much scary stuff going on lately - I'd rather just stay in my happy little bubble at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Would you think differently if you or a member of your family found yourself/themselves in the metaphorical crosshairs of a terrorist?
(edited 7 years ago)

There is very little one can do to prevent Bees from stinging or lightening from striking, but a lot can be done to prevent terrorist attacks. For me we should lock up those who blame the rest of us whilst defending the terrorists.

How many French people have died from bee stings in the last year?
Original post by KatieBlogger
This. I've canceled my holiday to France this summer because of the things happening there and I don't plan to have a holiday abroad this year anymore. I was considering a short break to London but the idea of getting on the packed tube in the hot weather is bad enough before I even factor in the high terror threat. So BBQ in the garden with my friends and family and a good film instead :smile:. Too much scary stuff going on lately - I'd rather just stay in my happy little bubble at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

imo no point in cancelling your trip to france - it is still unbelievably unlikely you will be in a terrorist attack. but I guess my point is that people feel the way you feel and I suppose you proved it.

Quick Reply