The Student Room Group

Can I become a trader with an economics degree

Scroll to see replies

Original post by squish562
Wow that guy must be a genius though. I'm guessing he went to Oxbridge?

Yeah, Oxford

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by Ladbants
Guys what is the most quantitative vanilla desk out there? Like in terms of the complexity of the pricing models

Original post by Trapz99
Rates options are one of the most complex vanilla desks(if not the most) according to a trader I spoke to on LinkedIn. Cash equity is the least.

Overall, FICC tends to be slightly more quantitative than equities. It's usually what most traders want to work in, as well.

Yeah rates options (i.e. swaptions, caps/floors) is probably the most complex vanilla desk, especially if you do it at a 'top' bank as they tend to trade a few products that most other banks classify under rates exotics as part of the vanilla desk. Also, the current interest rate environment has added even more complexity to how rates options are being priced because essentially pricing models built on the back of Black-Scholes (and other common models) fail with low interest rates, never mind negative ones.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 62
Yes and without an economics degree too. Or without any kind of degree to be honest. I heard somewhere you just turn up on hiring day and the guy with the biggest testicles just gets the job?
would an econ and stats degree be not quantitative enough for an exotics desk? Or for interest rates derivs? Or would it be fine?
Original post by swervybang
would an econ and stats degree be not quantitative enough for an exotics desk? Or for interest rates derivs? Or would it be fine?

If you do a lot of stats modules, don't see why not

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes but you might struggle with the actual job
it's mostly maths/physics/engineering/compsci guys who can handle the intense math
Original post by Princepieman
If you do a lot of stats modules, don't see why not

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by biglad2k16
yes but you might struggle with the actual job
it's mostly maths/physics/engineering/compsci guys who can handle the intense math

lol I dunno which one of you guys to believe
lol I dunno which one of you guys to believe

Well I agreed with Princepieman but I was just saying that the work itself would be difficult to do unless you're incredibly good at maths. The work is very quanty from what I've heard so you need a very good mathematical ability and these people tend to do degrees like engineering, maths or physics.
Nah delta one isn't quanty, it's very simple. I'd say rates is more quantitative

Quick Reply