The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RDKGames
It is indeed 256. Also it's the area under the curve from -5 to 2, and above it from 2 to 3 (reference to the sketch).

But you can just work it out as -5 to 3 like ive done?
Original post by kiiten
But you can just work it out as -5 to 3 like ive done?

Yes that would give you the whole area enclosed by the curve and the x-axis, but your reference to the sketch is technically incorrect.
Ughh guys ive gone wrong again :/ ques 4.b)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
Ughh guys ive gone wrong again :/ ques 4.b)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the area of the 2 sections are equal, then the integral between 0 and k will be 0, as the net area above the x axis will be 0, as it will cancel with the part of the curve that is below the x axis.
Original post by B_9710
If the area of the 2 sections are equal, then the integral between 0 and k will be 0, as the net area above the x axis will be 0, as it will cancel with the part of the curve that is below the x axis.

:facepalm:thanks :smile:
Original post by kiiten
:facepalm:thanks :smile:

Ah crap, just realised what I've said about the previous question is wrong, sorry. Anyway, k=root(8) in case you want it validated.
Ah crap, just realised what I've said about the previous question is wrong, sorry. Anyway, k=root(8) in case you want it validated.

Ahh - i got the notif but never saw your post so its fine. Thanks :smile:
Original post by kiiten
Ahh - i got the notif but never saw your post so its fine. Thanks :smile:

Also your method would still work if you equate the area from 2 to k to -4 rather that positive 4, because the area is negative. :smile:
Also your method would still work if you equate the area from 2 to k to -4 rather that positive 4, because the area is negative. :smile:

Eh? where did the 4 come from??
Original post by kiiten
Eh? where did the 4 come from??

That's the area from 0 to 2.
can 4/x^-1/2 be written in a different form?
Original post by kiiten

Of course. 4x12=41x12=4x12=4x\frac{4}{x^{-\frac{1}{2}}}=\frac{4}{\frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{2}}}}=4x^{\frac{1}{2}}=4\sqrt{x}
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiiten

4x1/2=4x1/2=4x=16x=4x4x4=41x=\displaystyle \frac{4}{x^{-1/2}} = 4x^{1/2} = 4\sqrt{x} = \sqrt{16x} = 4 \sqrt[4]{x} \sqrt[4]{x} = \frac{4}{\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}} = \cdots
(edited 7 years ago)
Of course. 4x12=41x12=4x12=4x\frac{4}{x^{-\frac{1}{2}}}=\frac{4}{\frac{1}{x^{\frac{1}{2}}}}=4x^{\frac{1}{2}}=4\sqrt{x}

Original post by Zacken
4x1/2=4x1/2=4x=16x=4x4x4=41x=\displaystyle \frac{4}{x^{-1/2}} = 4x^{1/2} = 4\sqrt{x} = \sqrt{16x} = 4 \sqrt[4]{x} \sqrt[4]{x} = \frac{4}{\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}} = \cdots

Thanks :smile: (sorry for asking easy ques - ive forgotten a lot of maths since the exams :3 )
Ughhh where am i going wrong. You have to find the coordinates of the minimum. Ive completely forgotten what you have to do :frown: (x is only 1/2)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiiten
Ughhh where am i going wrong. You have to find the coordinates of the minimum. Ive completely forgotten what you have to do :frown: (x is only -1/2 not 2 but why?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Complete the square. Or you could differentiate and find the value of x that gives f'(x)=0, then plug in to find f at that point.
Original post by B_9710
Complete the square. Or you could differentiate and find the value of x that gives f'(x)=0, then plug in to find f at that point.

i already found 2 values of x but they're wrong. why?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiiten
i already found 2 values of x but they're wrong. why?

If f(x) = 6x^2 - 6x + 3 then f ' (x) = 12x - 6 so f ' (x) = 0 only when 12x - 6 = 0, not sure how you got two values of x from that.
Original post by Zacken
If f(x) = 6x^2 - 6x + 3 then f ' (x) = 12x - 6 so f ' (x) = 0 only when 12x - 6 = 0, not sure how you got two values of x from that.

yeah i forgot to differentiate. Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by kiiten
yeah i forgot to differentiate. Thanks :biggrin:

You even wrote "differentiation" on top! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest