The Student Room Group

Not everyone going to uni has a supportive family

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Yeah. I have huge respect for people who get through uni by themselves.

One of my friends actually got 2 sugar daddies because her financial position is so dire. She's going to Nottingham next year because she's going to be estranged from her parents (who sound so much worse than mine). While I personally don't think I'd do it at all even though I support her fully, I'd rather do two part time jobs or something.

Yeah same. I have a uni friend who didn't wanna go back home because his parents were going through a very sour and blood-thirsty divorce. So horrible to hear.

And oh, how adventurous for her! Is she going to get more sugar daddies in Nottingham?

Well, she is a part-time lover, so that is a job within it's own right! As long as she's safe and all, I personally don't see it as a problem. Just imagine being old and lonely. Of course you'll be willing to pay to feel wanted! It's sad really. But she's gotta hustling though; she gotta make the money, hunny! :flutter:
Reply 141
Original post by Twinpeaks
That's awful :frown: Can I ask what's their reasoning for not giving a penny to find your studies?

My mother.. I think that there is something mentally wrong with her. She's very bitter and not animated to do anything which will aid me in moving out. She never finished anything, which included raising me and her own education
Original post by 97Y
No, I totally agree! The costs are horrendous. Luckily they supply chem ones 😅 Student finance are taking the piss with me so I may have to ask for financial aid, have to wait 6 more weeks for a decision! Despite sending it off on the first day when applications opened. Being foreign, eh?

I also meant £30 left over after the £70 spent ;-) that's not doable.. Not if you have to take a bus or want to buy stationary or anything other than cheap food

Yeah Student Finance isn't much!

Yeah I had to do that! I applied for £900 and my uni gave me £1200. I also got told they had money left over and gave me £400! I'm trying SO hard not to spend it but I keep eyeing up a new camera, an electric toothbrush, a blender, an electric shaver, and some new books! But it's soooo hard!

£30 a week? Oh that's doable (without shopping and if you cant the bus of course). It would do wonders at Poundland, B&M, Aldi/Lydl and Iceland though.
Reply 143
You're obviously doing far better and know exactly what you're doing
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Yeah same. I have a uni friend who didn't wanna go back home because his parents were going through a very sour and blood-thirsty divorce. So horrible to hear.

And oh, how adventurous for her! Is she going to get more sugar daddies in Nottingham?

Well, she is a part-time lover, so that is a job within it's own right! As long as she's safe and all, I personally don't see it as a problem. Just imagine being old and lonely. Of course you'll be willing to pay to feel wanted! It's sad really. But she's gotta hustling though; she gotta make the money, hunny! :flutter:

In my friend's case, her dad's got a criminal record and her mum's an alcoholic. None of them support her decision to go to university so she's decided to just get sugar daddies to help fund her (along with her student loans). She's saved up enough to last a few months but she has a year to go so she can make more. She hasn't spent a single penny on fancy designer stuff.

I fully support her. She texts me whenever she has an appointment and stuff so I know she's ok. She's actually considering applying for KCL this year to see if she can get in because both of her sugar daddies are based in London.

She's got that "I'll do what I have to do to get the degree I want." kind of attitude which is inspiring asf.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
In my friend's case, her dad's got a criminal record and her mum's an alcoholic. None of them support her decision to go to university so she's decided to just get sugar daddies to help fund her (along with her student loans). She's saved up enough to last a few months but she has a year to go so she can make more. She hasn't spent a single penny on fancy designer stuff.

I fully support her. She texts me whenever she has an appointment and stuff so I know she's ok. She's actually considering applying for KCL this year to see if she can get in because both of her sugar daddies are based in London.

She's got that "I'll do what I have to do to get the degree I want." kind of attitude which is inspiring asf.

Oh gosh, that must be truly horrible home life, bless her. She's a better woman than I am - I'd have spent that dolla!

Oh, what year is she in?

Yeah, strong women are inspiring for sure. She'll do whatever it takes and good for her. It's not about where you come from, or how you got there - but what you do with that after is important. And clearly, she wants to be something better in the future, so good for her!
Oh gosh, that must be truly horrible home life, bless her. She's a better woman than I am - I'd have spent that dolla!

Oh, what year is she in?

Yeah, strong women are inspiring for sure. She'll do whatever it takes and good for her. It's not about where you come from, or how you got there - but what you do with that after is important. And clearly, she wants to be something better in the future, so good for her!

Same! She's so disciplined tbh.

She's just finished Year 13 but is taking a gap year. She's going to be juggling a part time job and stuff.
Ultimately I guess it's your parents choice what they spend their money on and they have no legal obligation to look after you after the age of 18 but it seems so unfair that there are so many students going to uni with the maximum loan, still receiving money off parents, not working while at uni and going out 24/7 (which seems to have been a massive majority of the people I know who went tbh). Then there's the people who've worked for years with no support off parents who are stigmatised purely for their parents financial situation, estrangement may as well be impossible to claim given how much evidence you need to provide and how late in the year student finance manage to actually do their job and put your grant through. IMO estrangement claims need to be seriously improved and based upon how much your parents are committed to helping you out. Oh and it's a joke that you're not considered a mature student until your 24?! So for someone going to uni at 21 having moved out 2 years ago but not being financially independent for three years, they're considered to be still dependent on their parents income until they're 24?!
Original post by 97Y
Explain the situation to your tutor (you have to be honest, it's a bit crap telling them but you'd be surprised how many academics had crappy parents) and she'll write a letter to Student Finance confirming your status as 'estranged from parents'

Thanks for replying to me.:h:

I told my college tutor, so I'll just have to tell my tutor at uni right?
Reply 149
Original post by phdparker
Thanks for replying to me.:h:

I told my college tutor, so I'll just have to tell my tutor at uni right?

Yes, if you just explain the situation to her and then they'll take it from there. Just very important to be honest; I've found so many people actually willing to help its amazing. People understand more than they let on.
Let me know how you get on! I'll have the same chat when I finally know where I'm going!
I'm starting uni as a mature student this September, my dad doesn't support my decision at all. His new wife just tells me to stop wasting my time and get a job, at my age its too late for education.

Its been made clear that I won't get any financial help from him at all, which if I am honest I am upset about but doesn't completely bother me.

What bothers me more is the fact that I won't get any emotional support at all from my family, I have my boyfriend, my best friend and her boyfriend giving me all the support for the next three years.

I have already said if my dad can't be proud of me for going to uni then he can't be proud of me when I graduate and want to be there to see that happen
Reply 151
Original post by 97Y
Thank you for your little nugget of hope. How are your studies now?
I hope to 'cut the cord' or so to speak when I move out so I can start fresh

The irony of the situation is that had I gone to university back then, I would have paid £3k a year and gotten most of my living fees covered by grants (I'd have to have loaned about £3k a year to cover living costs).

Now I'll be loaning £18k a year! Triple, basically.

But hey ho, that's life.

So, I'm starting in a month, more than excited, I've been waiting for this for about a decade.

I have some savings, my own place, a lovely environment and some good people to support me.

When I was 18 I had nothing except good grades, a damaged frame of mind and the will to succeed.

I wish you all the best. It won't be easy, the hardest part will be overcoming the natural human urge to compare yourselves to others and their backgrounds... DON'T DO THIS.

You will be different to the majority of people you meet at university.

But you are stronger than most of them could imagine.
I kinda get where your coming from and i suppose its fairly easy if your coming from a town or place where jobs are available and you have a place to stay. However what your missing is a lot of us hit 18 ans have to leave home and get a job and pay our bills which leaves little money to save for uni, a lot of us also have no work experience and very few job openings for people of our age.

I know for me personally i was chucked out on my 18th and told to find somewhere to live, which meant saving for uni wasnt an option. Jobs are scarce in a small village like mine which left my only option to go uni now and hope for the best in the future.

Its not as simple for all of us to take a year out and get a job. If our parents arnt supporting us at uni its highly doubtful they will support us in any way which means its fairly difficult for us to get any sort of footing in.life without a degree.
Original post by super_kawaii
Once you're at uni you don't have to go home-work full time over the holidays and make sure your housing contract for 2nd and subsequent years starts as soon as your previous contract ends so you can easily move your stuff directly between your houses. This, on top of an interest free overdraft can help you remain independent from your parents.

I know this may sound harsh, but it sounds like your parents are very toxic, and imho it would be best if you go complete no contact once you start uni, so you can be happy.

You still have to pay it back and usually you have to pay it back very quickly.
You still have to pay it back and usually you have to pay it back very quickly.

They give you two months after you finish uni at least before they change the terms of your overdraft. Enough time to work and get out of it :smile:
They give you two months after you finish uni at least before they change the terms of your overdraft. Enough time to work and get out of it :smile:

Not with me. HSBC wanted their money back within a year of opening up my student bank account.

Defo wouldn't suggest to anyone who has financial difficulty to get one as banks expect you to constantly put money in and pay off the account very quickly. Or, at least HSBC does.
Not with me. HSBC wanted their money back within a year of opening up my student bank account.

Defo wouldn't suggest to anyone who has financial difficulty to get one as banks expect you to constantly put money in and pay off the account very quickly. Or, at least HSBC does.

That doesn't sound like a normal student account-the terms of your interest free over draft should not change until your status as a student changes to graduate status.

You should read the terms and conditions of these things closely to avoid being screwed over like this
That doesn't sound like a normal student account-the terms of your interest free over draft should not change until your status as a student changes to graduate status.

You should read the terms and conditions of these things closely to avoid being screwed over like this

Every contract says the banks are within their rights to ask for the money back whenever they want.

It was an interest-free account.

I don't need a lecture on how to read a contract. I was merely pointing out my experience and now every student bank account is beneficial for someone who hasn't got money to repay the bank. A student bank account isn't supposed to be used as a scapegoat for people who haven't got money. It's supposed to be used in terms of being temporary. I knew loads of other friends who needed to pay back their loans within their first year of opening theirs too.
Every contract says the banks are within their rights to ask for the money back whenever they want.

It was an interest-free account.

I don't need a lecture on how to read a contract. I was merely pointing out my experience and now every student bank account is beneficial for someone who hasn't got money to repay the bank. A student bank account isn't supposed to be used as a scapegoat for people who haven't got money. It's supposed to be used in terms of being temporary. I knew loads of other friends who needed to pay back their loans within their first year of opening theirs too.

That's a very unusual system. Normally the "temporary" is the 3-4 years you spend as an undergrad. Especially as a lot of students have to live out of their overdraft due to lack of funding and can't pay back anything until they're working after graduation.*
You cant select your parents, but how you are to live (read: exist) with them is your decision. It is unlucky to have such a rough start though.

I would just solo'ing everything. Which I do, mostly.

Quick Reply

Latest