The Student Room Group

Is 17 too late to start guitar?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fandom-queen
THE hendrix? Woah, I didn't know that.

I have a strong suspicion talent plays a role there.

I think you only need start earlier if you wanna be a Steve Vai, a Yngwie Malmsteem, a Joe Satriani. A technical wizard, in other words.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I think you only need start earlier if you wanna be a Steve Vai, a Yngwie Malmsteem, a Joe Satriani. A technical wizard, in other words.

And a Santana or Knopfler?
Reply 22
And a Santana or Knopfler?

Maybe. But their appeal is down to style/talent, they aren't exactly whizzing up and down the fretboard.
Maybe. But their appeal is down to style/talent, they aren't exactly whizzing up and down the fretboard.

True. Besides, I actually want to write songs. Now, I have pages of poems which are begging for a tune to complete them.......

I want to be able to play songs of normal capacity, I realise it's difficult to ask to become a guitar-whiz, starting at 17.
Cool! Thanks!

For me, the callouses take so long to develop. It hurts so much when I try to play.

It can be difficult. For me I was quite lucky starting out because I've always had unusually long fingers and the grip is far easier - but you will definitely get used to it. Practice is seriously the only way forward :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by oShahpo
By the time you're his age, you will be able to play similar stuff, surely if you keep at it.

I do not think that is the necessary end for anyone who happens to "keep at it" lol. If you spend ages working on your technique then I guess. But I doubt even many of the fantastic and inspirational players are/were up to it.
I do not think that is the necessary end for anyone who happens to "keep at it" lol. If you spend ages working on your technique then I guess. But I doubt even many of the fantastic and inspirational players are/were up to it.

Yea, but this piece isn't that hard. 30 years of practice is certainly enough.
Reply 27
Original post by oShahpo
Yea, but this piece isn't that hard. 30 years of practice is certainly enough.

bet I won't be able to play it in 24 years :redface:
Original post by tanyapotter
It can be difficult. For me I was quite lucky starting out because I've always had unusually long fingers and the grip is far easier - but you will definitely get used to it. Practice is seriously the only way forward :smile:

Yeah. I have pretty small hands, so it's quite difficult.

Spoiler

Reply 29
Unless you are on your deathbed there is no such thing as 'too late'...
Reply 30
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Btw I use this app called yousician and so far I find it really helpful, I definitely recommend you to give it a try

I saw the advert for that app on youtube. Is it a monthly subscription?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah just get some tabs and get going - I started at 16 and learnt quite a few songs before losing interest last year... There's a really easy tab for he's a pirate from poc floating around - I recommend it because it's such an iconic song and the tune itself is surprisingly easy! There's plenty of tutorials on YouTube too
Original post by XOR_
Ableton mostly.

woah xor
didn't know u were pro at drawing and music
#respekt :yep:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
woah xor
didn't know u were pro at drawing and music
#respekt :yep:

Thanks Cheese!.
Original post by XOR_
Thanks Cheese!.

np

Spoiler

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
np

Spoiler

We'll see
Original post by XOR_
We'll see

:mwuaha:
Original post by A321
I saw the advert for that app on youtube. Is it a monthly subscription?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope there's no monthly subscription, the whole thing is free
Yeah. I have pretty small hands, so it's quite difficult.

Spoiler

Do you know a song called Plug in Baby by Muse? The lead guitar on that is such a fun way to get used to moving your fingers around the frets quickly
It's never too late, beautiful ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–

Quick Reply

Latest