The Student Room Group

Why aren't rich Arab countries taking in immigrants?

By immigrants I mean the Syrian and Iraqi ones. :colonhash:

"Gulf countries including Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Bahrain have offered zero resettlement places to Syrian refugees." https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2015/09/syrias-refugee-crisis-in-numbers/

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Rich Arab countries are full of immigrants
If you mean the wave of economic migrants cough refugees that Europe is drowning under, maybe take a look at the facts:
Countries with Islamic rule tend to have no/highly limited freedom of speech, religion, dress, etc. They often have abuse Sharia "Law" too, where rape victims get whipped.
It's no wonder people prefer the more civilised west (at our cost)
Original post by teenhorrorstory

What about the immigrants from Syria....?
There's lots of Syrians now in the neighbouring Levant countries but I think less in the Gulf countries.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Eternalflames
There's lots of Syrians now in the neighboring Levant countries but I think less in the Gulf countries.

That's where the money is.
The gulf is the most racist part of the world.
Reply 7
Isn't the UAE like 80%+ foreigners? Lol
Original post by eden3
Isn't the UAE like 80%+ foreigners? Lol

Loads of those places have high immigrant populations, but anyone who lives there knows you don't start a march to protest Gulf Arab privilege in the Gulf states, unless you want the men with guns and dogs to make a move on you.
Reply 9
Original post by JamaicanMeKrazy
Loads of those places have high immigrant populations, but anyone who lives there knows you don't start a march to protest Gulf Arab privilege in the Gulf states, unless you want the men with guns and dogs to make a move on you.

I lived there for a couple of years (not anymore thank god).

I know exactly what you're talking about.
The gulf is the most racist part of the world.

But Syrians and Iraqi are arabs too...
It's their business.
Original post by teenhorrorstory

lol Immigrants in rich Arab countries fall into two catagories: Westerners with the professional skills to fill their own shortages and slaves from places like Bangladesh and Indonesia who are seen by the locals as sub-human rats and are treated as such.

OP is obviously talking about alturistically taking in refugees
Reply 13
Maybe the immigrants do not want to go to Arab countries
Rich gulf countries are full of Asian immigrants (Malaysian, Philipino, Indian, Bengali etc). Go into Dubai Mall and I assure you, the only Arabs you see will not be working - they will be either tourists, or rich natives, shopping. 99% of the workers you will come across serving you in these shops will be Asian immigrants. Most native Gulf Arabs will also have an immigrant maid. They move to rich gulf countries with the promise of a "better life and wage" in order to provide for their families, then when they arrive they have their passports confiscated and are underpaid. Modern day slave labour, pretty much...
Original post by F.Nietzsche
But Syrians and Iraqi are arabs too...

Neither are gulf Arabs and Iraqis are Shia, most Saudis Saudis would take a Whiteboi over that :plz2:
Original post by KimKallstrom
lol Immigrants in rich Arab countries fall into two catagories: Westerners with the professional skills to fill their own shortages and slaves from places like Bangladesh and Indonesia who are seen by the locals as sub-human rats and are treated as such.

I can't wait to move to Saudi or Dubai, Imma get so much Haram poon they crucify me on live TV.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom

I could cry :cry2: You've understood my question.

Original post by M14B
Maybe the immigrants do not want to go to Arab countries

Fair point. But they don't have a choice, they're not wanted there.

"Gulf countries including Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Bahrain have offered zero resettlement places to Syrian refugees." https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2015/09/syrias-refugee-crisis-in-numbers/

Reply 18
There are already loads of immigrants in UAE, more than half of population isn't even Arab.
Original post by Bezoar
Rich gulf countries are full of Asian immigrants (Malaysian, Philipino, Indian, Bengali etc). Go into Dubai Mall and I assure you, the only Arabs you see will not be working - they will be either tourists, or rich natives, shopping. 99% of the workers you will come across serving you in these shops will be Asian immigrants. Most native Gulf Arabs will also have an immigrant maid. They move to rich gulf countries with the promise of a "better life and wage" in order to provide for their families, then when they arrive they have their passports confiscated and are underpaid. Modern day slave labour, pretty much...

I'm wondering why they haven't taken in any Syrian/Iraqi refugees. They have enough money to provide shelter, food etc. and since they share the same language (more or less), it'll be easier to assimilate. Maybe they can even start businesses...who knows.

I can't wait to move to Saudi or Dubai, I'm get so much Haram poon they crucify me on life TV.

Have fun! :K:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending