The Student Room Group

"Future Trainee Solicitor at ..." on LinkedIn

Hey guys,

Let's be honest we all see students change their title on LinkedIn to "Future Trainee Solicitor at ..." and are a little bit jealous.

However, is this something that is a bad thing to do once you secure a TC? I assume these TC holders are not looking for other work, so is it just to highlight their achievements rather than to help network for other opportunities? Would their law firm look on this badly?

I am curious to see what are people's opinions on putting this up once you have a TC? Looking forward to do it yourself, or think they are being a bit showy/cringey?

What's the aim in doing it?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrLintonJones
Hey guys,

Let's be honest, let's not lie, we all see students change their title on LinkedIn to "Future Trainee Solicitor at ..." and envy them.

But, is this something that is a bad thing to do once you secure a TC? I assume these TC holders are not looking for other work, so is it just to highlight their achievements? Would their law firm look on this badly?

I am probably overthinking it and just coming from a place of intense envy.. haha

But I am curious to see what are people's opinions on putting this up once you have a TC? Can't wait to do it yourself, or think they are being a bit showy?

Everyone does it, there's nothing wrong with having it on your LinkedIn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Everyone does it, there's nothing wrong with having it on your LinkedIn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My question is more what's the point?
Original post by MrLintonJones
My question is more what's the point?

Just to show that you've landed a training contract and will be starting at a firm in a year or 2. It's also a great way to find potential coworkers and for recruiters to keep you on their radar

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seems a bit wanky to me. I wouldn't be impressed if I saw it.
All my friends with TCs did this, it's so cringey
they definitely wouldn't look at it in a bad light. why would they when you could potentially be expanding your network by adding people from other industries. if anything its PR for them
Whilst I understand why it wouldn't impress fellow students, LinkedIn has a far wider reach than the student community and in the main is a platform for professionals. In that vein I can't see anyone within the industry being bothered by it in the slightest, and if anything I'd consider it to be useful information to know that a certain person is starting a training contract at a certain firm. I know I'm approaching this from the barrister angle, but frankly I'd think the same way about people starting pupillage at some point in the future. I actually don't see why it wouldn't be on a person's profile.*
Original post by Crazy Jamie
In that vein I can't see anyone within the industry being bothered by it in the slightest

Apart from me :p:
Original post by Ethereal
Apart from me :p:
Yeah, well, there's always one :tongue:

Though why, out of interest, would you think it's a wanky thing to do? *
I don't think it's necessarily wrong to state it in such plain terms but there may be a way of putting it more gracefully, e.g just saying that you've secured a TC in your personal description rather than lording it on your profile preview. I think you should really only put what you're currently doing in your occupation rather than what you're going to be doing in two or three years.
I have to say I'm with Ethereal (5 PQE solicitor). I didn't even make a LinkedIn account until I had qualified and I don't see the point in students having them at all. So they can tell the world they are Captain of the University Frisbee Team, LPC student and future trainee at Sloane & Co?*

Overall I think I am not alone in the view LinkedIn is fairly pointless despite my firm and many others insisting we maintain a presence on it and share all the inane posts our marketing team come up with.
I absolutely get the criticism of LinkedIn as a platform generally. I also entirely agree with J-SP that far too many people use it like Facebook. LinkedIn is useful insofar as it is social media for professionals, the problem is that whether intentionally or not, its remit goes beyond that, and that makes it more difficult to find relevant content (at least in my view). In relation to its use by students, again I agree that putting desperate, irrelevant information on your profile in an attempt to stand out is unnecessary.

However, to me stating that you have secured a training contract/pupillage at a particular firm/chambers is relevant information. Professionals won't do that because job changes are rarely, if ever, set to take place so far in the future once you're already in employment, and stating that you're a 'future employee at <firm>' when you're still employed by another firm will generally be inappropriate. But not so in the case of students. Other than it rubbing other students up the wrong way, which frankly will usually be more of an issue with the other students, I simply don't see how it is either inappropriate or irrelevant.*
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Yeah, well, there's always one :tongue:

Though why, out of interest, would you think it's a wanky thing to do? *

I find it crass and somewhat premature - there are plenty of things that can intervene between TC offer and TC day one, so the mere fact someone has an offer doesn't mean they will actually go on to take up post.

I think the likely motivation is bragging rather than networking (although I suspect there is some real networking potential there), and that gives me an impression of someone who doesn't exhibit the sort of behaviour I would want in a future member of the profession(s).

On a totally separate note, why do your posts end with a * ? are you disclaiming something? :p:
Original post by Ethereal
I find it crass and somewhat premature - there are plenty of things that can intervene between TC offer and TC day one, so the mere fact someone has an offer doesn't mean they will actually go on to take up post.

I think the likely motivation is bragging rather than networking (although I suspect there is some real networking potential there), and that gives me an impression of someone who doesn't exhibit the sort of behaviour I would want in a future member of the profession(s).

On a totally separate note, why do your posts end with a * ? are you disclaiming something? :p:

Technical issue on the site itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
As someone without a TC, I don't see a problem with it. It's so common nowadays that you have to put it, to avoid people assuming that you didn't get an offer (assuming that you did a vac scheme at the firm) and image is everything to the youth of today.

Some of my friends have it on their facebook profile and I have also seen it on dating apps. So, clearly some of the future trainees want any opportunity to brag!
Reply 16
Original post by emmings
I have to say I'm with Ethereal (5 PQE solicitor). I didn't even make a LinkedIn account until I had qualified and I don't see the point in students having them at all. So they can tell the world they are Captain of the University Frisbee Team, LPC student and future trainee at Sloane & Co?*

Overall I think I am not alone in the view LinkedIn is fairly pointless despite my firm and many others insisting we maintain a presence on it and share all the inane posts our marketing team come up with.

Completely disagree with you wondering why a student has it at all?! Linkedin is an incredibly valuable tool for a student and for those who are doing internships and networking with people in the profession. I've used it frequently to find professionals who I have some kind of connection or something in common with which has been valuable in reaching out to them and furthering opportunities and it typically contains information that you can't find through another source.

While I can sympathise with the view that too many people use it improperly, I can't agree with the view that it's pointless nor that students shouldn't use it. If you use it correctly it can be one of the most valuable tools toward securing an internship or job in my view - how can that be pointless?!
Original post by SJU1
Completely disagree with you wondering why a student has it at all?! Linkedin is an incredibly valuable tool for a student and for those who are doing internships and networking with people in the profession. I've used it frequently to find professionals who I have some kind of connection or something in common with which has been valuable in reaching out to them and furthering opportunities and it typically contains information that you can't find through another source.

While I can sympathise with the view that too many people use it improperly, I can't agree with the view that it's pointless nor that students shouldn't use it. If you use it correctly it can be one of the most valuable tools toward securing an internship or job in my view - how can that be pointless?!

This is exactly why I find it irritating I'm afraid. LinkedIn is a valuable tool for recruiters (as demonstrated by JSP) but few others. I would not appreciate a student "reaching out" to me on LinkedIn. On that note, I refer you to this graphic:

*If a student were to contact me on LinkedIn, I would advise them to apply for a vac scheme along with everyone else. In the legal industry at least, LinkedIn is very unlikely to get you a training contract or an internship. (Different for qualified roles, I accept.) I can't comment on other industries.*
Reply 18
Original post by emmings
This is exactly why I find it irritating I'm afraid. LinkedIn is a valuable tool for recruiters (as demonstrated by JSP) but few others. I would not appreciate a student "reaching out" to me on LinkedIn. On that note, I refer you to this graphic:

*If a student were to contact me on LinkedIn, I would advise them to apply for a vac scheme along with everyone else. In the legal industry at least, LinkedIn is very unlikely to get you a training contract or an internship. (Different for qualified roles, I accept.) I can't comment on other industries.*

I didn't necessarily mean contacting them via the site. I've used it before to find out more about a particular person having read their bio on their firm directory before then contacting them over email, not LinkedIn. Cold emailing people at city law firms, if you approach it the right way, I've found to always have positive responses and thus subsequently met them. It's an alternative method perhaps, but one that I found people responded very well to and LinkedIn can be a valuable tool to get more information to inform you.

Equally, using it as a tool to find out more about people - their background, past experience. uni, etc - again helps when you are inside a firm and networking. It allows you to find out more and pin point particular people that would be good to talk to given your own personal circumstances or interests. You can't always find out this information otherwise and so I think that is again something very useful, if you use it well.

Sure, but I wasn't saying at all that linkedIn will get you a training contract or internship. My point is that networking does help you get training contracts and internships, and that LinkedIn is a tool that can and should be utilised to help with this, making it something that is valuable to use in my view.
People sending connection requests with no "connection" or a very tenuous one is one of the common mistakes made. I don't mind it because it generally helps me, but if I was a lawyer and loads of students randomly sent a connection request I would be peeved.I wouldn't say it annoys me, or even that I have any reaction to it at all. I just reject the request and get on with my day. Then again if someone has, for example, been with me on a mini pupillage and sends a connection request, I am far more likely to accept it.*

Just like with most mediums there are a variety of ways to use LinkedIn as a student. Some a more effective than others. Some are more appropriate than others. But it's still a potentially useful resource and tool in its own way. **

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending