The Student Room Group

talking to girls

HiI'm a single guy and 20 years age student and I thought it'd be interesting to see what people's opinions are on online dating and how to meet people .I have tried online dating hoping to talk to some people but very rarely get messaged back. I made a recent post and people said that girls only go for very attractive guys on match etc. But I don't understand as I have been told I'm an attractive guy by many people.I find it difficult however to know the right time to ask someone for a number or how to approach a girl in a public place who I really like. I am quite shy but I just want to let things happen naturally really. Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
HiI'm a single guy and 20 years age student and I thought it'd be interesting to see what people's opinions are on online dating and how to meet people .I have tried online dating hoping to talk to some people but very rarely get messaged back. I made a recent post and people said that girls only go for very attractive guys on match etc. But I don't understand as I have been told I'm an attractive guy by many people.I find it difficult however to know the right time to ask someone for a number or how to approach a girl in a public place who I really like. I am quite shy but I just want to let things happen naturally really. Any advice?

Online dating is a difficult one. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Unless you're essentially a model, you need to have a good profile. You should be able to learn how to compile yourself an enticing online dating profile online if you have a look. Try approaching girls online gently, just saying hi and asking a question about something you saw on their profile. As for meeting girls in public places, try and get a conversation going. Say how you can see why they like the drink they ordered or something and try and strike up something short. Afterwards, you can just give them your number and if they want to, they'll text you or something. Good luck! It'll happen for you!
I shut down my online dating accounts yesterday; decent pics and a good bio were getting me nowhere, and I have no doubt I was being overlooked for the topless six-pack lads. Honestly, online dating at our age isn't worth it so I suggest you give it up. It does more harm than good, and to be honest those sites are designed to keep you in the loop for a while so that they can get their website hits/subscription payments. That, and because girls get swamped with messages by idiots or always have a "better" person to talk to at a moments whim.

Develop social skills, better your life and focus on hobbies. Even if I am hopeless at it myself, I am a huge advocate that meeting someone in real life is the best thing. Also, if you do become socially competent, you're better than 90% of people out there who indulge too much in technology.
Reply 3
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Online dating is a difficult one. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Unless you're essentially a model, you need to have a good profile. You should be able to learn how to compile yourself an enticing online dating profile online if you have a look. Try approaching girls online gently, just saying hi and asking a question about something you saw on their profile. As for meeting girls in public places, try and get a conversation going. Say how you can see why they like the drink they ordered or something and try and strike up something short. Afterwards, you can just give them your number and if they want to, they'll text you or something. Good luck! It'll happen for you!

Thanks for the advice that really helps. I have done a lot of what you mentioned though and got nowhere , no one has replied to me. So its probably better if I stopped using match now and try more in a real life situation :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by -
I shut down my online dating accounts yesterday; decent pics and a good bio were getting me nowhere, and I have no doubt I was being overlooked for the topless six-pack lads. Honestly, online dating at our age isn't worth it so I suggest you give it up. It does more harm than good, and to be honest those sites are designed to keep you in the loop for a while so that they can get their website hits/subscription payments. That, and because girls get swamped with messages by idiots or always have a "better" person to talk to at a moments whim.

Develop social skills, better your life and focus on hobbies. Even if I am hopeless at it myself, I am a huge advocate that meeting someone in real life is the best thing. Also, if you do become socially competent, you're better than 90% of people out there who indulge too much in technology.

Cheers bud that's really helpful, again.I do think people thesedays are way too sucked in social media and it makes them less approachable in real life
(edited 5 years ago)
Cheers bud that's really helpful, again.I do think people thesedays are way too sucked in social media and it makes them less approachable in real life

You'll be fine, but just cut yourself some slack.

Online dating is a cesspit of negativity. Women are bitter, men are bitter, and only a select few actually bother going on dates and such; for many it's just a poor attempt at getting laid, a game or an ego boost. At our age you're much better off just meeting people in social settings and going from there. Who knows, next party you go to there may be a cute little blonde sitting in the corner that catches your eye, and shyly plays with her hair; it's those moments you want, not exchanging countless messages back and forth in the hope you'll land a date.
HiI'm a single guy and 20 years age student .... I just want to let things happen naturally really. Any advice?

I personally don't think there's any such thing as "let things happen naturally" at some point you have to put in some modicum of positive effort.

I think there are two issues at hand for a lot of dudes.

1. need thick skin. You absolutely have to be ready to deal with a ton of rejection. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Don't get a result, or get some brusque reply? Brush it off and move on.

2. play by the rules of the game. It's wonderful to think that you can just do your own thing and women should fall on you from being naturally interested in whatever it is you like doing. Not saying that won't happen - but it's unlikely. There's absolutely no mileage in grumbling about why all the good-looking, fun women are out getting trashed in the clubs and playing never-have-i-ever with a stack of solo cups and snakebite. If you want to hang out with them, chances are you'll have to go where they go and do what they do. Lions don't sit in their cave bemoaning the fact that no antelopes have wandered in.
Although I could give you tons and tons of advice on how to talk to girls, I always swear by one in particular. When you talk to a girl, make sure you actively listen. Many aspects to that but my favourite is when a guy remembers something you told him. I.E
' How was your driving lesson you had yesterday?'
Also, if it helps all girls have different tastes in men. A lot of my friends think the people I think are good-looking aren't and vice versa :smile: . I also believe that if someone has a great personality this can do them so much more favours then cracking looks.
Id rather an average looking guy with a great personality then a cracking looking guy with a personality that doesn't click with me.
Being a girl I would advice that you just be yourself but also be flirtatious a little. It helps create a little attraction, then you can show the girl who you are as a individual and from there let the chemistry happen. I used online dating sites but got no where. But I found that I do meet a lot of new people on a daily basis, when I'm out and about. This then opens up doors, giving me opportunities to meet guys as well as new potential friends. Maybe try to speak to people when your out and about. Because at one point you maybe speaking to a load of people such as guys as well, but that guy could introduce you to the girls and then you could be in a relationship or whatever you seek. It's always the way I guess, but things like that happen a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I'm a single guy and 20 years age student and I thought it'd be interesting to see what people's opinions are on online dating and how to meet people .I have tried online dating hoping to talk to some people but very rarely get messaged back. I made a recent post and people said that girls only go for very attractive guys on match etc. But I don't understand as I have been told I'm an attractive guy by many people.I find it difficult however to know the right time to ask someone for a number or how to approach a girl in a public place who I really like. I am quite shy but I just want to let things happen naturally really. Any advice?

online dating works for me I don't even use a picture I just write my bio and that seems to be enough to

To be honest with you, there very rarely is a right time. If you see a girl you like or have feelings for a girl you know just ask her out there and then. Think of it like ripping a plaster of. Also the more you ask people out, the more naturally it will be for you and easier it will be to ask girls out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending